MINAMATA Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
In-too-Depp

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:37 pm

OCTOBER 23, 2018 8:49AM PT

Johnny Depp to Play War Photographer W. Eugene Smith in ‘Minamata’

By DAVE MCNARY
Film Reporter
Variety.com

Johnny Depp has come on board to star as war photographer W. Eugene Smith in the independent drama “Minamata.”

The film will center on Smith’s work as a photographer for Life magazine in exposing the poisoning of the people of Minamata, Japan. Andrew Levitas will direct the film, which is based on the book by Aileen Mioko Smith and W. Eugene Smith and adapted by David K. Kessler.

The story will start with Smith as a recluse, with the glory days of World War II far behind him. But an old friend and a commission from Life Magazine editor Ralph Graves convince him to journey back to Japan to expose a big story: the devastating annihilation of a coastal community through mercury poisoning. “Minamata” will start principal production in Japan followed by Serbia in January.

HanWay Films will handle international sales and distribution and will commence sales at the American Film Market, which opens on Oct. 31 in Santa Monica, Calif. CAA Media Finance will handle US rights. “Minamata” has been developed by Depp’s production entity Infinitum Nihil and is produced by Sam Sarkar, Bill Johnson and Andrew Levitas. Jason Forman and Stephen Deuters will executive produce.

“Working with Johnny to give voice to those who have been silently suffering is a responsibility we do not take lightly,” Levitas said. “Much like Eugene Smith in 1971, we could not feel more privileged or humbled to be tasked with the mission of bringing this incredible story to the world.”

HanWay Films’ Gabrielle Stewart added, “Eugene Smith’s personal redemptive story arc is really human and touching as he opens up and connects to the people in front of his camera. His story is extremely relevant as it explores how a powerful image can spur the world into action.”

Depp and producer Andrea Iervolino announced Monday that they have formed a partnership to develop and produce film and digital content. The pact is starting with the drama “Waiting for the Barbarians,” starring Depp, Mark Rylance, and Robert Pattinson. Production begins later this month in Morocco.

Depp and Levitas are both represented by CAA.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

jruoss

Re: MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by jruoss » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:34 pm

Sounds like maybe Johnny's pursuing a bit more autonomy in the world of film and "digital content"? I know Infinitum Nihil is not new, but this international partnership the article mentions is. Avoiding going through Hollywood as much as possible sounds like a good tack. Terry Gilliam's been getting financing and filming outside the U.S. for years.
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:59 pm

Maybe it's good to be a little more independent of Hollywood. I wish Johnny all the best for his projects and love him so much. :myheart: :airkiss: :flashingheart:

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:56 pm

Thank you In-too-Depp for posting this news. Great to read about Johnny's upcoming work and to see Sam Sarkar and Stephen Deuters involved with the project as well.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:26 am

Sounds like he might be hitting a perfect balance between commitments to a massive franchise in Fantastic Beasts (and he may even do another Pirates) but then plenty of really gripping work in independent films - I think this and Waiting for the Barbarians sound very much like stuff he'd want to pursue. I also love how these things come out of nowhere - did anyone have any hint it was coming? I'd also been wondering why Stephen wasn't with Johnny during the HW tour, he seemed to be looked after by Nathan - clearing Stephen really is transitioning into producer role and putting all of this together, the financing etc, must have taken a lot of hard work. All very exciting. Going to read the book.

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:54 am

jruoss

Unread post by jruoss » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Looks like a beautiful locale for filming, just across from Italy on the eastern side of the Adriatic Sea.
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:10 am

Johnny Depp to film latest movie in the Region

The Dubrovnik Times
Article by Mark Thomas
January 27th 2019

The head of the borough of Tivat in Montenegro, Siniša Kusovac, held a meeting with representatives of the international movie production company “Work in Progress” on supporting the filming of a new Hollywood blockbuster starring Johnny Depp. It is believed that the latest Depp movie will be partly filmed in Tivat in May this year.

The star of Pirates of the Caribbean is to star in the new movie “Minamata.” The film follows the career of the American photo-journalist W. Eugene Smith who, after the end of World War II, began working for Life magazine and discovered the Minamata factory employee's poisoning in Japan. Some of the scenes will be recorded in the capital of Serbia, Belgarde, whilst the crew will spend around a week in Tivat.

“Projects like the Minamata movie are desirable for our municipality and we have already secured consensus,” commented Kusovac. It is believed that around 200 people will be involved in the filming in Tivat and a number of locations around the area have already been selected.

In-too-Depp

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:32 pm

First pic of Johnny as photographer W. Eugene Smith.

SnoopyDances

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:34 pm

:omg:

In-too-Depp

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:36 pm

First look at Johnny Depp as photographer W. Eugene Smith in Minamata; Bill Nighy joins the Cast

Article by Andreas Wiseman
Deadline.com
January 31st 2019

Principal photography has begun on Andrew Levitas-directed feature Minamata starring Johnny Depp as celebrated U.S. photographer W. Eugene Smith. The production has released a first look at Depp.

Bill Nighy (Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest) has joined cast alongside Minami (Vision), Hiroyuki Sanada (Avengers: Endgame), Tadanobu Asano (Silence), Ryo Kase (Letters From Iwo Jima), and Jun Kunimura (Kill Bill: Vol 1 and 2). Yôko Narahashi is casting director on the film which is currently underway in locations in Japan, Serbia, and Montenegro.

Based on the book by Aileen Mioko Smith and W. Eugene Smith and adapted by David K. Kessler (A Hard Day’s Day), the true-story thriller pits Smith against a powerful corporation responsible for poisoning the people in Minamata, Japan in 1971.

Developed by Depp’s production entity Infinitum Nihil, Depp is producing with Infinitum Nihil’s Sam Sarkar, Levitas under his Metalwork Pictures banner and Gabrielle Tana (The White Crow). Lullaby director Levitas recently produced The White Crow and Farming.

Jason Forman, Stephen Deuters, Peter Watson, Phil Hunt, Compton Ross, Gabrielle Stewart, Stephen Spence, Peter Touche, Norman Merry and Peter Hampden are executive producers. HanWay Films is handling international sales. CAA Media Finance handles U.S. rights.

Levitas said of the film, “I am thrilled to be working with such a talented and dedicated team on the story behind one of the most devastating and relatively unknown catastrophes of the past 100 years. Told through the eyes of the extraordinary W. Eugene Smith, widely regarded as one of the most passionate, ground breaking and uncompromising photojournalists of the 20th century. In his bid to bring the world’s attention to atrocities including the bloodiest conflict in human history, World War II and the horrors of Minamata he put his own life at risk to bring the truth out in his work and capture some of the most poignant images ever taken. Every one of the cast and crew is determined to make the people of Minamata’s voices heard as we begin shooting this film.”

Depp and Levitas are represented by CAA along with Sanada who is also represented by Lighthouse Entertainment. Nighy is represented by CAA and Markham Froggatt Irwin.

In-too-Depp

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:37 pm

SnoopyDances wrote: :omg:
Yeah I know, I feel the same. :lol:

justintime

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by justintime » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:15 pm

Ohhhh, THANK YOU, In-too-Depp - for the photo (hope JD’s eyes are blue) and the article! I can’t properly express how hopeful I am for this film. News has been so sparse since Johnny’s involvement was first announced months ago (thrilled to see Bill Nighy added to the cast list). But even the minimal coverage seemed to harbor a potentially riveting story. Since then I’ve purchased the huge hardcover, Minamata. “Riveting” is an understatement! Hope Mr. Levitas and Mr. Kessler are up to the job.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

AdeleAgain

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:48 pm

He just does it everytime doesn't he - doesn't exactly replicate how someone looks so much as captures them. Amazing. And Bill Nighy! He must be playing the editor? First Mark Rylance, now Bill Nighy - pulling in British acting royalty - at least all the British acting royalty who weren't already with him in Murder on the Orient Express.

justintime

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by justintime » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:49 pm

Ade wrote:He just does it everytime doesn't he - doesn't exactly replicate how someone looks so much as captures them. Amazing. . . ..
You are right, Ade. And he does it with such intensity - all in - I am always in awe of the final product. This is such an exciting project about such an emotionally, engrossing topic.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot