Security Question

Post them here. NOT A FORUM TO DISCUSS Johnny DEPP.
User avatar
stroch
Posts: 1343
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: New Orleans
Status: Offline

Security Question

Unread post by stroch » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:53 pm

I haven't logged on for a couple of weeks because Chrome has been telling me that the site is not secure when I try to do so, The address bar even has a warning before the www. Just wondering why. I have been afraid to log on but have done so to ask for clarification...never got the message before, and have changed nothing on my computer.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

User avatar
Theresa
JDZ Webmaster
Posts: 26933
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 1:21 am
Location: Houston, Texas
Status: Online

Security Question

Unread post by Theresa » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:04 pm

I think that's a new thing on Chrome. All it means is that our information is not encrypted. It's private because we do have personal info password protected...just not encrypted.

justintime
Posts: 1548
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:39 pm
Status: Offline

Security Question

Unread post by justintime » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:06 pm

I have gotten the same message, stroch, when I log in through either Firefox or gooogle chrome on my desktop - not on my iPad. I use Safari on my iPad and have never gotten any warnings of that nature.
Last edited by justintime on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

User avatar
Theresa
JDZ Webmaster
Posts: 26933
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 1:21 am
Location: Houston, Texas
Status: Online

Security Question

Unread post by Theresa » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:09 pm

I just Googled the question, and it happened with one of the latest versions of Chrome. It's going to show now on any site that isn't https:// now. Our site is just http:// because we don't have an encryption key set up so that passwords are 'scrambled' if anyone tries to break into our site.

I'll have to look into what needs to be done to update us, or if that's something that we even need to do, since we don't have financial information on our site (no credit card numbers, banking numbers, etc)

User avatar
stroch
Posts: 1343
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: New Orleans
Status: Offline

Security Question

Unread post by stroch » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Guess all is well, because my PW here is unique to the site. I've missed following the daily thread, and had a few urgent remarks I wanted to make that I've now forgotten!
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

User avatar
In-too-Depp
Posts: 165438
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:20 pm
Location: Walking my beat in deepest UK
Status: Offline

Security Question

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:38 am

I think several companies are doing this now, as others have mentioned Firefox now has a warning when logging into websites, actually I sometimes find it useful.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

justintime
Posts: 1548
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:39 pm
Status: Offline

Security Question

Unread post by justintime » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:43 am

In-too-Depp wrote:I think several companies are doing this now, as others have mentioned Firefox now has a warning when logging into websites, actually I sometimes find it useful.
Yes, I do pay attention when I see it, and don't use those sites. I was surprised when it popped up for the Zone. The warning is quite intimidating and I wasn't expecting it for here. Since I've retired, I don't use my desktop often and hadn't logged in here for some time via Firefox or Chrome. I did try following the suggested alternative but it didn't work and the next warning was a bit more intense! For whatever reason, Safari hasn't felt the need to go that route yet so I've been using my iPad instead (ha - the path of least resistance I guess). Glad stroch brought it up, though.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

User avatar
smithyn76
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:19 pm
Status: Offline

Security Question

Unread post by smithyn76 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:39 pm

I'm new here and I'm getting the same security warning from Firefox.

I think that at least for the login, the site should be encrypted for security reasons. Especially nowadays where nothing on the net is completely safe.

I'm also in another forum and there it is like I suggested above. Only the login-site is https (encrypted), the rest is not. But I believe they are thinking about doing that.

Hopefully this will happen soon, as I don't feel to good loggin in and anyone can read my username and password :perplexed: .

Please do something about this security risk. It is for all our good.

:thanks!:
:zoner: EVOLVE THE FUTURE - Dr. Will Caster, Professor at Berkeley :zoner:

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 50878
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake
Status: Offline

Security Question

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:09 am

:girlwave2:

To date, the Zone has not had any security issues.
There is no personal information stored on site such as phone numbers, birth dates, social security numbers, etc. And no other Zoner can see your login.

Just be sure that the password you use is unique to this site and not shared over many sites...a good security tip for everyone. :hatsoff:

User avatar
Judymac
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 6:23 pm
Status: Offline

Security Question

Unread post by Judymac » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Theresa wrote:I just Googled the question, and it happened with one of the latest versions of Chrome. It's going to show now on any site that isn't https:// now. Our site is just http:// because we don't have an encryption key set up so that passwords are 'scrambled' if anyone tries to break into our site.

I'll have to look into what needs to be done to update us, or if that's something that we even need to do, since we don't have financial information on our site (no credit card numbers, banking numbers, etc)
Thank you

User avatar
smithyn76
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:19 pm
Status: Offline

Security Question

Unread post by smithyn76 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:53 pm

SnoopyDances wrote::girlwave2:

To date, the Zone has not had any security issues.
There is no personal information stored on site such as phone numbers, birth dates, social security numbers, etc. And no other Zoner can see your login.

Just be sure that the password you use is unique to this site and not shared over many sites...a good security tip for everyone. :hatsoff:

:signhi: snoopydances

It may be that the zone had no security issues in the past, regarding personal data as there is no personal info stored, but the reason I'm concerned is the possibility that some hackers unknowingly put Trojans and other baddies on this site and anyone who visits the site, especially registered ones, suddenly have this beastie on their own computer.

I had this case today, while I was just reading the story "My heart belongs to a Pirate", when suddenly I got the warning from my Windows protection shield that something bad was detected and needed to be taken care of immediately. Which I did.

Therefore I think it best to use an encryption and make this side a safe https one.

Thanks in advance :thankyou:
:zoner: EVOLVE THE FUTURE - Dr. Will Caster, Professor at Berkeley :zoner:

justintime
Posts: 1548
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:39 pm
Status: Offline

Security Question

Unread post by justintime » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:07 pm

I’ve been wanting to ask for a few days now if there is something to be concerned about with the HUGE number of “guests” - not exaggerating, over 2000 this afternoon alone - on The Zone usually around noon to 1:30pm or so. Maybe at other times of the day, too, but that is the only time I noticed enough to remember. Numbers are in the tens of thousands for the “last 24-hours” records!!

After all the years of having the most visitors be a number in the hundreds and dating back to 2005/2007 or so, these numbers are startling.

I also wanted to mention I have been getting, for a while now, a “Not Secure” message instead of a little lock icon prefacing “johnnydepp-zone.com” on my Safari browser. I have been ignoring it, but am getting a bit worried - for us, individually and for this fabulous place, in particular. The original suggestion to use https:// does not work.

Thank you so much.

justintime
Posts: 1548
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:39 pm
Status: Offline

Security Question

Unread post by justintime » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:33 pm

Received this message a bit ago; tried a couple times then waited a while, then tried again and was able to get on but am sending this FYI:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

User athena_johnny75 already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.


Don’t know who “athena_johnny75” is . . .

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 50878
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake
Status: Offline

Security Question

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:44 pm

justintime wrote:Received this message a bit ago; tried a couple times then waited a while, then tried again and was able to get on but am sending this FYI:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

User athena_johnny75 already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.


Don’t know who “athena_johnny75” is . . .
Theresa mentioned that our host site is having issues today. They are working to correct the problems.
She mentioned you may get an error message.

User avatar
Chocolat
Posts: 9623
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Sleepy Hollow
Status: Online

Security Question

Unread post by Chocolat » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:48 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:
justintime wrote:Received this message a bit ago; tried a couple times then waited a while, then tried again and was able to get on but am sending this FYI:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

User athena_johnny75 already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.


Don’t know who “athena_johnny75” is . . .
Theresa mentioned that our host site is having issues today. They are working to correct the problems.
She mentioned you may get an error message.

I got the same error message as justintime. Everything seems to be working again.
Thanks for the update SnoopyDances.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.