Wishful Thinking: Johnny as Gomez Addams

For more relaxed conversation about Johnny Depp, to share favorite Depp photos & scans, have themed pic parties, or to identify unknown pics
SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:53 pm

There are rumors of Tim Burton doing a reboot of The Addams Family and social media wants Johnny to play Gomez.
Two issues I see with this:
1. It's going to be a TV reboot, which is a huge time commitment
2. I'm not sure it's confirmed that Tim is even doing this or if it's still in discussion phase

The Addams Family Fans Want Johnny Depp as Gomez in Tim Burton's TV Reboot

What are your thoughts?
Some suggested Lily Rose for Wednesday (the character is an adult in the reboot rumors) with HBC or Eva Green or Wynona Ryder for Morticia

Let's have some fun:
If Johnny played Gomez, who should play the remaining characters?

Morticia?
Wednesday?
Pugsley?
Uncle Fester?
Mama?
Cousin It?
Lurch?

moviemom

Unread post by moviemom » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:32 am

As much as I think he'd be perfect for this role, I don't see Johnny returning to the medium of TV. But as 2020 has shown us thus far, expect the unexpected and then some!

I read in a different related article that fans have suggested Christina Ricci as Morticia.
Aside from that, no idea about the rest of the cast. Though, if Jackie Earle Haley was a bit taller, he could be a good Uncle Fester.
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:00 pm

Christina would be good as either Morticia or an adult Wednesday...she was so perfect in that role as a child. :lol:

Jackie's a good choice. :ok:

I could see Danny DeVito as Cousin It. He and Burton get along so well.
Rhea Perlman as Grand MaMa. She'd make a whacky sorceress.
Tyler Perry as Lurch? I think he'd have a lot of fun with that character and he's pretty tall.
Louis CK or Kevin James for Fester?

No idea about an adult Pugsley. :perplexed2:

I think if it's a TV movie and not a full series reboot, they'd have better casting options.
If it's a full series reboot, they would probably pick unknowns that would work cheaper and wait to see how successful it becomes.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:03 pm

I would love to see him in a TV series. I really think an actor gets a chance to go much deeper, really explore a role, than is possible in a 2 hour film. Besides, the delight of seeing him weekly.

Would he do it? Nineties television is light-years away from what we get today in cable tv. For example, I don't think that he would have to worry about being pushed in a formulaic direction. I guess the other question would be personal self-discipline. We don't have much direct information --a lot of hearsay perhaps--but I would imagine an actor needs to be able to work over many weeks on a very set schedule. I assume a more structured assignment (in terms of how one organizes one's time) than movie making, which always feels more feast-like.

Another factor for me would be that he is already spreading his wings nicely in other artistic areas --film making, song writing, musician. Does he love developing a character and making a commitment to that character?

I guess I am all want and all question.

Uh, no thoughts about who else should be in the series. One last caveat. Haven't we seen The Addams family a lot over the years? Aren't there other possibilities in terms of shows about funny scary people that wouldn't include all these characters that have been around for 30 years at least.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies