JEANNE DU BARRY Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Jack's Wench

Re: JEANNE DU BARRY Updates

Unread post by Jack's Wench » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:39 pm

Thanks for the info Snoopy :heartflower:
Dreams really do come true!
Just Believe....... 26th April 2007

"We're having too good a time today, we ain't thinking about tomorrow"

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:10 am

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:10 am

Just beat me to it Snoopy. :lol: Nice pic of Johnny.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:22 pm

The pic a bit bigger.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:57 pm

Most Anticipated Upcoming Netflix Movies: November 14th, 2022

7. Jeanne du Barry
Director: Maïwenn
Genre: Biography, Drama History | Cast: Johny Depp, Maïwenn, Melvil Poupaud, Pierre Richard, Pascal Greggory
Netflix Release Date: 2023
Moviemeter: 4155
It’s been a turbulent number of years for Johny Depp thanks to the media circus surrounding the incredibly public fallout of his divorce from Amber Heard, and the subsequent trial to clear his name. However, since the end of the trial, Depp has once again begun to take on new exciting roles, including the role of Louis XV in Maïwenn’s biopic of Jeanne du Barry, a woman born to nothing, who rose through the ranks of the court of Louis XV to become his last official mistress.

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:58 pm

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:49 am

Dare we even ask whether there is a U.S. distributor for this film or are we going down the “Waiting for the Barbarians”, “The Professor”, “City of Lies”, and “Minamata” path? Netflix has been no friend to Johnny’s work.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Newt

Unread post by Newt » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:39 pm

How so? Netflix hasn't made any films with Johnny. And films just come and go on Netflix, that's just how it is.

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:52 pm

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:35 pm

:thankyou: :lovehearts:
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:03 pm

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:07 pm

IFOD posted an English translation of her interview on Twitter. Reposting here. Please credit IFOD if reposting.

Director Maïwenn speaks with Le Journal du Dimanche about JEANNE DU BARRY starring Johnny Depp

She had dreamed of it for years. And she made it. Maïwenn was so passionate about the extraordinary destiny of Jeanne Du Barry that she made a film in which she embodies her.

Filming wrapped in early October, after 11 weeks of intense work. The actress/director is now in the middle of editing, and says she doesn't yet see the end of it. "I knew that this adventure would be a big test. I hold on because Jeanne is more important than anything."

"I wanted to tell a story about a magnificent loser who is running to her loss"
Jeanne Du Barry will focus mainly on the courtesan's relationship with Louis XV without sticking totally to the great story.

As it was necessary to find filmmaker's perspective, Maïwenn opted for radical choices.
"Purists may criticize me, I am ready for it."

"A good film is, above all, a work that respects the vision of its director who dares to add lyricism, poetry and even humor."
[5/14]ading in the vein of Sofia Coppola's Marie-Antoinette? "Our only common point is to have wanted to take liberties..."

"...but my film is neither pop nor rock. I wanted to make a tale about a magnificent loser who runs to her loss."
Shooting a feature film in costumes in castles such as Versailles or Vaux-le-Vicomte was not the most impressive matter.

The anxiety was about inaugurating a new style of directing: no improvisation but very written dialogues, and a 35mm format that the one who was in front of and behind the camera had never handled.

"All of this while being squeezed in the Du Barry's corset all day. No one can imagine what torture that was!"
Fortunately, she could count on a royal cast: Pierre Richard as Richelieu, Benjamin Lavernhe as the monarch's right arm [...] and Johnny Depp as Louis XV.

The American actor took a lot of pleasure in looking for the nuances of the wigs to impose his royalty.
"He really likes to transform, he's a real chameleon: he's always very keen on looking for his character," says Maïwenn.

Maïwenn had first thought of two French actors for the role, but after their refusal, a friend told her to follow her dreams.
"I wanted someone complex, both beautiful and destructive. And above all a personality that makes you want to bow as soon as you enter a room."

She thought of Depp and simply emailed his agent. A fortnight later, they met in London.
"Everything went very well: I felt he was generous, passionate and he loves our country immensely. The Covid put the project aside; when he got back on track, Johnny was still there"

Johnny Depp, who speaks [French] a little, worked on his French as much as possible, but that wasn't the most important thing because Jeanne Du Barry mainly rests silences and looks.

"My film has not many dialogues and therefore did not have many lines. What impressed me the most was [Johnny Depp's] expressiveness: in scenes without dialogue, his face let a lot of emotions through."

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:16 pm

From Deadline:
From ‘Dune’ To ‘DiCaprio’, ‘Priscilla’ To Park Chan-wook: 68 Global Movies (And A TV Series) That Could Light Up Festivals In 2023

Jeanne du Barry

Maïwenn’s historical drama is freely inspired by the life of Jeanne du Barry, Louis XV’s last royal mistress at the Court of Versailles. The actress-filmmaker stars as the titular protagonist opposite Johnny Depp as the king. It marks Depp’s feature film role in three years, following his victory in a turbulent defamation trial against ex-wife Amber Heard earlier this year. Jeanne du Barry is Maïwenn’s sixth feature. The Cannes regular previously won its Jury Prize in 2011 for Polisse, while long-time collaborator Emmanuelle Bercot snared best actress in 2015 for her performance in My King. Jeanne du Barry shot over the summer in various locations including Versailles and other chateaux in the Paris region as well as the studio.

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:19 pm

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:26 am

Thank you for posting these pictures and links - it is so nice to see 'Johnny Depp' trending for the last couple of days for a movie.

It was interesting to read that this had been planned pre-COVID - it made me think deliciously of the projects which are likely being discussed with him right now which we have no idea about and may or may not come to fruition.