CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Gilbert's Girl

Unread post by Gilbert's Girl » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:09 am

myfave wrote:I wish I wwould have seen the first movie. Johnny was in the first movie?
At the very end

Ade3

Unread post by Ade3 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:14 pm

He was the big reveal in the first movie - but his look I think is more refined in CoG, and I honestly think he's created another iconic character. So sorry you didn't enjoy it - there were a lot of characters in it but - not just biased me saying this - Johnny is the standout. I lamented the fact that Jude Law doesn't have a bit more to do rather than Johnny. Honestly the whole last part of the movie in stunning. After that speech I would totally have gone to the dark side. The two best parts of the film are the opening and the ending. Both of which are totally on Grindelwald.

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:23 pm

myfave wrote:I was surprised this was only one page til I saw the movie. I was bored.. Johnny’s scene totaled maybe 10 minutes total. I almost fell asleep during the movies
This is being filmed as an old-fashioned serial. I don't think each movie will stand out on its own merits, but rather, each film will be a single piece of a larger puzzle.
Since there are no books to reference (like Harry Potter), I think you will need to see all five films in proper sequence to understand what is happening and how all the characters relate to one another.

tocnavforjd

Unread post by tocnavforjd » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:34 pm

I saw the movie on opening day. I had been greatly looking forward to it as I loved the first film - have watched it numerous times. Loved the 4 main characters and Newt interactions with his creatures. It has taken me some time to reflect on my reaction to this one. I came out not really very happy with this film compared to the first - seemed more like a transition from the first to the third than an enjoyable movie of it's own right. One thing it did give me was a great eagerness to see the third when it comes out. I haven't really wanted to view it again - but I may go again before it leaves the theaters. It did certainly make me think about what happened to each of the characters since I left the theater - so that makes it a successful film in the end. I hope the next focuses a bit more on the non-maj world than the magical world as the first film did. I liked seeing the interaction between the two worlds.

I thought Johnny's performance was excellent - I wanted more of him. I actually forgot that it was him by the end of the movie (that usually never happens).
"This is exactly what makes the two sides of your personality. You do not know what you want to be in life, dramatic actor, or crazy person"---J.Depp

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:53 am

I think the Fantastic Beasts may play a little better to those familiar with the Harry Potter universe. Being a prequel, the movies do stand alone, but still there is a lot about the wizarding world that makes more sense for those of us who have been immersed in the culture for twenty years.

reindeermoon

Unread post by reindeermoon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:28 pm

I have seen the movie twice and I loved it. All those different sceneries. I liked the magical circus.
And Johnnys speech was top acting. I really could have closed my eyes, just listening to his voice which was so soft and seductive, like the singing of the sirens of Odysseus.

Ade3

Unread post by Ade3 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:36 pm

Saw it for the third time yesterday. It is still doing well in the UK, one of the larger screens at the multiplex - two thirds of the seats gone. Thing I really noticed and appreciated this time was during my favourite scene - the rally. After he shows them the Second World War vision, his delivery and rhetoric change and become more angry, less charming . I still think I might well have walked through the white fire onto his side given the situation. But it is a fantastic role for him. The 'I hate Paris' line is just delivered to perfection.

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Barely four weeks and the film is being dropped from most local theaters here as of Friday!
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:46 pm

justintime wrote:Barely four weeks and the film is being dropped from most local theaters here as of Friday!
Too many newer movies opening between now and the new year...Blockbusters and awards favorites.

SdubLU

Unread post by SdubLU » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Here in Germany it's still in the cinemas, several times a day!

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:03 pm

SdubLU wrote:Here in Germany it's still in the cinemas, several times a day!
It is still showing several times a day in my cinema as well. Four weeks seems like a fairly long time the way movies rush out to DVD these days.

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:03 pm

I love this movie and it is also shown several times in our cinema. Every actor and actress has done a great job. Grindelwald's crimes are more relevant than ever. The story is a caricature of the current society.

SdubLU

Unread post by SdubLU » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:29 pm

nebraska wrote: Four weeks seems like a fairly long time the way movies rush out to DVD these days.
I think you're right, not only because of DVD but also becauce of all the video on demand and streaming services the time each movie is in the cinemas has really decreased, in my opinion. And moreover my favorite movie theater is a rather small one, none of the big players, and they really have to choose what they are showing and for how long to also be able to provide some variety. So the fact that they continue to show FB2 so regularly after more than four weeks and although there are also other big movies coming in at the moment really rather shows that the movie is doing good!
I'm thinking about going for a thrid time because I really enojyed the movie and would sooo love to see Johnnys performance on the big screen one more time :loveshower: (before waiting for another two years until the next installment :waiting: )