Pirates 6 with new Jack or no Jack?

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:19 am

I am sad that Disney "retired" Captain Jack Sparrow and I think they will regret their decision because the franchise is NOTHING without him. :smh: :facepalm: :banghead2:
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:19 am

I agree :heart:
But I just had an awful thought: seeing Johnny is not to play Jack anymore on the big screen does that mean he can't show up as Jack at children's hospitals again?
How are the rules for that?
Are Jack Sparrow Disney's property (a thought our pirate would hate, I think) to such a degree, that they can sue Johnny and win forbidding him to do what he really love, if they want - and are petty enough to do so :-/ ?

Sweeney Todd

Unread post by Sweeney Todd » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:19 am

meeps wrote:I agree :heart:
But I just had an awful thought: seeing Johnny is not to play Jack anymore on the big screen does that mean he can't show up as Jack at children's hospitals again?
How are the rules for that?
Are Jack Sparrow Disney's property (a thought our pirate would hate, I think) to such a degree, that they can sue Johnny and win forbidding him to do what he really love, if they want - and are petty enough to do so :-/ ?
No, they can't. If that were the case Jack Sparrow impersonators would be sued as well.

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:24 am

Yes, but I am afraid, that they don't see the impersonators as a threat as they might Johnny - if he keeps doing it and people keep loving it, Disney might see that as a more or less subtle rebuke from both Johnny and his audience; that is, that really many people still love Jack Sparrow very much even if the money men at Disney don't anymore.
But OK - I might just be a paranoid mother hen now :biggrin:

mandeedees

Unread post by mandeedees » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:08 pm

Ruby Begonia wrote:Some fun scenarios that likely won't happen: Jack Depp as young Jack Sparrow or Lily-Rose Depp as Jacqueline Sparrow or some other female pirate. Jack doesn't act, as far as I know.

For those wanting some souvenirs of Jack Sparrow, that deppmerch.com website that's affiliated with johnnydeppofficial instagram has the pirate medallion necklace, keychain and Jack Sparrow rum t- shirt 50% off. The sale was in place weeks ago, it's not because of today's announcement by Stuart .
:dancingpirate:
Johnny Depp has stated numerous times that he doesn't do ANY social media. I looked up the Instagram account mentioned and it does NOT have a verification mark. It's suppose to be a blue check mark, the only thing on this account is a blue dot. So whether it's affiliated with another Johnny Depp account that sells merchandise sounds iffy at best. I've had at least 6 "Johnny Depp's" direct message me on Instagram and I just delete them because of what Johnny says on talk shows. No social media accounts! Don't tell me I had the chance to converse with the real Johnny Depp?! :yikes:

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:32 pm

mandeedees wrote:
Ruby Begonia wrote:Some fun scenarios that likely won't happen: Jack Depp as young Jack Sparrow or Lily-Rose Depp as Jacqueline Sparrow or some other female pirate. Jack doesn't act, as far as I know.

For those wanting some souvenirs of Jack Sparrow, that deppmerch.com website that's affiliated with johnnydeppofficial instagram has the pirate medallion necklace, keychain and Jack Sparrow rum t- shirt 50% off. The sale was in place weeks ago, it's not because of today's announcement by Stuart .
Johnny Depp has stated numerous times that he doesn't do ANY social media. I looked up the Instagram account mentioned and it does NOT have a verification mark. It's suppose to be a blue check mark, the only thing on this account is a blue dot. So whether it's affiliated with another Johnny Depp account that sells merchandise sounds iffy at best. I've had at least 6 "Johnny Depp's" direct message me on Instagram and I just delete them because of what Johnny says on talk shows. No social media accounts! Don't tell me I had the chance to converse with the real Johnny Depp?! :yikes:
Anything interesting in those DMs? I don't know if that johnnydeppofficial site is connected to Johnny, but it's kind of odd that I've seen the tag on pictures Johnny's taken with Kevin Dillon and a couple of other stars. I hope he isn't, because my experience with the "merch" wasn't great: the pirate medallion key chain is kind of cool (but not worth the price), but the necklace came from China and looked like something out of gumball machine. I only got them after writing back after 2 months to let them know I hadn't received them. Never got the Jack Sparrow rum t-shirt.

I :flashingheart: the first 3 Pirates movies. The last 40 minutes of AWE was epic! I liked parts of 4 & 5, particularly Jack & Angelica in 4 and the story of young Jack Sparrow & Bardem's character in 5. Jack seems to have been reduced to wisecracks and no action. I would be interested in a return of Jack Sparrow with Gore Verbinski directing, Johnny in a healthy-looking state, and an excellent story.

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:30 pm

Big mistake. :facepalm: They will regret this forever. My thought is that Depp fans will boycott and the film will not even get to the theaters.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

mandeedees

Unread post by mandeedees » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:32 am

:bigwave: it
Ruby Begonia wrote:
mandeedees wrote:

Anything interesting in those DMs? I don't know if that johnnydeppofficial site is connected to Johnny, but it's kind of odd that I've seen the tag on pictures Johnny's taken with Kevin Dillon and a couple of other stars. I hope he isn't, because my experience with the "merch" wasn't great: the pirate medallion key chain is kind of cool (but not worth the price), but the necklace came from China and looked like something out of gumball machine. I only got them after writing back after 2 months to let them know I hadn't received them. Never got the Jack Sparrow rum t-shirt.

I :flashingheart: the first 3 Pirates movies. The last 40 minutes of AWE was epic! I liked parts of 4 & 5, particularly Jack & Angelica in 4 and the story of young Jack Sparrow & Bardem's character in 5. Jack seems to have been reduced to wisecracks and no action. I would be interested in a return of Jack Sparrow with Gore Verbinski directing, Johnny in a healthy-looking state, and an excellent story.
It's too bad you got some shady merchandise, that's why I always look for a verification mark by their name. You know Johnny would not want his name on some cheap merchandise, especially since you never got the shirt. As far as the direct msgs go it was the same BS I always get "this is my private account, how long have you been my fan, where are you located?!" Like Johnny Depp has nothing better to do but pick random fans and send them a direct msg! They're either hackers or just plain scammers. I've read in some Facebook accounts fake Johnny will ask his fans for money. What?!? He would NEVER do that but people get suckered in. It's sad.

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:20 pm

Saw this re: the reboot again. Note the confirmation of Johnny not being involved. I may be way off base here, but I remember there being a bit of jealousy on Terry’s part toward JD at the time because JD got so much credit for making the character such a success, primarily by his own improvisation.

https://discussingfilm.net/2019/03/12/t ... exclusive/

And here, from a recent Dutch interview with Keira Knightly, flat out stating the Captain Jack Sparrow character everyone fell in love with was totally a Johnny Depp creation.

https://nl.metrotime.be/2019/03/13/must ... jn-mentor/

Who are your mentors and sources of inspiration?
“My playing partners in the theater. When we prepare a play, we really rehearse. Rehearsing in cinema means seeing each other once and drinking coffee together. (laughs) But if I have to name a few ... Ralph Fiennes (her partner in 'The Duchess'), Sam Rockwell ('Laggies'), Mark Ruffalo ('Begin Again'), Carey Mulligan ('Never Let Me Go' ). And of course Johnny Depp. He literally shook Jack Sparrow out of his sleeve. There was nothing on paper. Many American actors are more relaxed. We Brits are stiffer. "(Laughs)

For my part, I would never have any inclination to watch a pirates film of any sort without Johnny and Captain Jack, not in the theater, not on TV, not even at my local library's Free Friday evening showing. I think it was fireflydances who wrote something lovely about the spirit of the Captain Jack character back on the first page of this thread. She was right on the money. That’s the clever, spunky Johnny/Jack I’d jump through hoops to see again!
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Cesar'sSusie

Unread post by Cesar'sSusie » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:56 am

Hey, just had to pop in and give my :twocents: . I'd LOVE to see another Pirates film with Johnny as Jack. No one else could do it. But I would like to see more of him as the 'aging' character. More interest in his past i.e. , his famous exploits on land and sea and the repercussions of said exploits. :captainjack: Also looking forward to just seeing Johnny on film is great by me. :applause2:
"He's that and a whole lot more," said his driver. "He's a wonderful guy. I'll tell
you firsthand, he's a great man."
. . .and the Golden Globe goes to . . .
Johnny DEPP, for Sweeney Todd-The Demon Barber of Fleet Street!

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:39 am

:agreesign: Cesar'sSusie !!!

Yes, I would also like to see an older character of Captain Jack Sparrow (with Johnny). I think, it can be very exciting and at the same time a new generation of pirates can be shown. This would definitely be a smooth and gentle transition and not as selfish as Disney wants it. This is simply disrespectful to Johnny, because his portrayal made the pirate movies what they are.

Cesar'sSusie

Unread post by Cesar'sSusie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:30 am

:signhi: gipsyblues :guitar: Hey, great minds and all that, eh? :toastingpirates:
"He's that and a whole lot more," said his driver. "He's a wonderful guy. I'll tell
you firsthand, he's a great man."
. . .and the Golden Globe goes to . . .
Johnny DEPP, for Sweeney Todd-The Demon Barber of Fleet Street!

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:29 pm

:thankyou: Cesar'sSusie :highfive: :-)

Larkwoodgirl

Unread post by Larkwoodgirl » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:38 pm

If they make another Pirates movie without Johnny, I will not be paying to see it. In fact, I would not watch it for free.
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:21 pm

Larkwoodgirl wrote:If they make another Pirates movie without Johnny, I will not be paying to see it. In fact, I would not watch it for free.
My sentiments as well, Larkwoodgirl. I can honestly say that’s not out of spite, I just have not an ounce of interest in a pirate movie without Johnny as the driving force. No gratuitous cameos, please.

I know some have said they’d be ok with what would amount to a token presence. First off, I guess, I’d want to be able to believe (as much as any of us could possibly do) Johnny really wanted to have another go. Not so sure. If he truly wants no part of Disney after the hideous way they’ve treated him, so be it. Then it’s done for me as well.

Anyway, I’d love to see not an “older” Captain Jack - just a more seasoned, wiser if you will, Captain. Clever, spunky, admired, always thinking outside the box, and brimming with those irreverent but honorable character traits that made millions of us laugh with him and love him. I’d be over the moon to see Captain Jack engaged in some really impressive sword fighting, and last but not least, to be left with Jack and a significant other (Angelica?, there’s terrific history and chemistry already established) that treat each other as equals and leave us fans absolutely certain of their devotion to each other . . . Ahhhhhhhhhh! Yep, that’ll about do it!
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot