MINAMATA Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
User avatar
Newt
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Status: Offline

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by Newt » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:13 am

It's available on DVD and Blu Ray (and you want the Blu Ray for that film) in Spain, soon in Italy. Problem is, no English subtitles for the Japanese dialogue.

User avatar
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 3408
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: under a pile of books
Status: Offline

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by fireflydances » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:56 pm

This is beginning to remind me of the terrible nightmare of attempting to watch The Brave in the US years ago. The only DVD version that was available in English and in a version that could be played on US dvd players came to us from Korea and was missing roughly 20 minutes of the film. Don't ask me why. It was horrific.

Then, of course, the other option --- watch it on You Tube where video segments of the film were maybe 10-15 minutes long. Chunky at best!

This was 2008 I believe and that horrid little debacle is how I ended up joining the Depp fandom in hopes of somehow, someway, some mercy (!) and a clean and complete version of The Brave. Never did get one!

Long time gone and I hope those days of crappy versions and frustrating attempts to provide some alternative do not return. But...if we are going to go this route again, I guess I will never see Minamata. And that would indeed be sad.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

User avatar
Newt
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Status: Offline

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by Newt » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:11 am

It's already available on demand all over the world (with English subtitles). If you're in the US, it's pretty easy to create an iTunes account in other countries, then feeding it with iTunes gift cards. I think the UK will likely have a Blu Ray release so we get the English subtitles on the Japanese dialogue.

justintime
Posts: 1915
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:39 pm
Status: Offline

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by justintime » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:06 pm

Lovely pic. Given the absence of eyeglasses, the licorice cigarette and guitar, I’m assuming it was taken off-set.



Re: Minamata
Newt wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:11 am
It's already available on demand all over the world (with English subtitles). If you're in the US, it's pretty easy to create an iTunes account in other countries, then feeding it with iTunes gift cards. I think the UK will likely have a Blu Ray release so we get the English subtitles on the Japanese dialogue.
Your “….pretty easy…” solution, Newt, is not easy by any means for those of us with older devices and limited tech expertise not to mention the self-preservation instinct that kicks into overdrive when you casually reference creating an “other” country iTunes account!

There are millions of us here is the U.S. and Canada already paying for an Amazon Prime service that has been playing fast and loose with JD’s films for months now. Perhaps foolishly, I’ve indulged their greed with respect to Waiting for The Barbarians, The Professor, and City of Lies. Paid to see the films on Prime (some, several times over before the DVD became available) and then bought the DVDs. Not a single regret. Would certainly do the same for the opportunity to see Minamata.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

User avatar
Newt
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Status: Offline

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by Newt » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:33 am

What an odd response. You don't need the latest tech to do so.

It is legitimately easy to do and you can do it on your computer if you've got iTunes and then watch it wherever you want.

User avatar
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 3408
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: under a pile of books
Status: Offline

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by fireflydances » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:37 pm

Newt wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:11 am
It's already available on demand all over the world (with English subtitles). If you're in the US, it's pretty easy to create an iTunes account in other countries, then feeding it with iTunes gift cards. I think the UK will likely have a Blu Ray release so we get the English subtitles on the Japanese dialogue.
As someone who lives in the US and doesn''t have updated technology and who has never used iTunes, the plan of creating an iTune account in another country and then feeding it with iTune gift cards, is way beyond my wheelhouse. Perhaps you'd like to provide folks with a step by step plan? That would be an enormous help.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

User avatar
Newt
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Status: Offline

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by Newt » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:21 am

In that case, especially if you've never used iTunes, it's much simpler to wait for a Blu Ray release (not to mention the image and sound quality will be far superior).

It has been released in the UK on demand but it's likely that a Blu Ray release will follow soon (considering it was released in August, I'm guessing end of the year). It's available on Blu Ray in Spain, DVD only in Australia, early November on DVD and Blu Ray in Italy.

But one thing to keep in mind if you're not living in Europe or the UK is that those Blu Rays from Europe are usually region B locked (so you can't play them if you're living in the US for example unless you have a multi region Blu Ray player), so be mindful of that.

And of course, the subtitles. As I said before, there's a good portion of Japanese dialogue and unfortunately, the Spanish release does not have English subtitles. Don't know about the Italian one.

For those in the US right now, your best bet is to hope the UK Blu Ray release is not region locked or to go down the iTunes route.

User avatar
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 3408
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: under a pile of books
Status: Offline

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by fireflydances » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:26 pm

Newt wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:21 am
In that case, especially if you've never used iTunes, it's much simpler to wait for a Blu Ray release (not to mention the image and sound quality will be far superior).

It has been released in the UK on demand but it's likely that a Blu Ray release will follow soon (considering it was released in August, I'm guessing end of the year). It's available on Blu Ray in Spain, DVD only in Australia, early November on DVD and Blu Ray in Italy.

But one thing to keep in mind if you're not living in Europe or the UK is that those Blu Rays from Europe are usually region B locked (so you can't play them if you're living in the US for example unless you have a multi region Blu Ray player), so be mindful of that.

And of course, the subtitles. As I said before, there's a good portion of Japanese dialogue and unfortunately, the Spanish release does not have English subtitles. Don't know about the Italian one.

For those in the US right now, your best bet is to hope the UK Blu Ray release is not region locked or to go down the iTunes route.

Thank you so much for your response. You hit the nail on its head with the regard to the dilemma US folks find themselves in. Yes, most European DVDs or even BlueRays are going to be region locked. I dealt with this back in 2008/9 when I attempted to purchase a dvd of The Brave. I never did locate anything out of Europe, and purchased a terrible cut up version out of South Korea which was so bad it was unwatchable. I am 'hopeful' that we won't face this problem now, thirteen years after my battle to see The Brave.

I still can't wrap my head around MGM thinking it's a good idea to block a totally wonderful film because they don't like one of the film's actors. An incoherently bizarre move on their part. Trust me folks, American fans of Johnny Depp will keep this travesty in mind when MGM distributes other films. Money talks folks.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

User avatar
ForeverYoung
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:25 pm
Status: Offline

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:22 pm

fireflydances wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:26 pm
Newt wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:21 am
In that case, especially if you've never used iTunes, it's much simpler to wait for a Blu Ray release (not to mention the image and sound quality will be far superior).

It has been released in the UK on demand but it's likely that a Blu Ray release will follow soon (considering it was released in August, I'm guessing end of the year). It's available on Blu Ray in Spain, DVD only in Australia, early November on DVD and Blu Ray in Italy.

But one thing to keep in mind if you're not living in Europe or the UK is that those Blu Rays from Europe are usually region B locked (so you can't play them if you're living in the US for example unless you have a multi region Blu Ray player), so be mindful of that.

And of course, the subtitles. As I said before, there's a good portion of Japanese dialogue and unfortunately, the Spanish release does not have English subtitles. Don't know about the Italian one.

For those in the US right now, your best bet is to hope the UK Blu Ray release is not region locked or to go down the iTunes route.

Thank you so much for your response. You hit the nail on its head with the regard to the dilemma US folks find themselves in. Yes, most European DVDs or even BlueRays are going to be region locked. I dealt with this back in 2008/9 when I attempted to purchase a dvd of The Brave. I never did locate anything out of Europe, and purchased a terrible cut up version out of South Korea which was so bad it was unwatchable. I am 'hopeful' that we won't face this problem now, thirteen years after my battle to see The Brave.

I still can't wrap my head around MGM thinking it's a good idea to block a totally wonderful film because they don't like one of the film's actors. An incoherently bizarre move on their part. Trust me folks, American fans of Johnny Depp will keep this travesty in mind when MGM distributes other films. Money talks folks.
Yep, and it's because these big studios who are making a horrible mistake by out casting Johnny Depp have another thing coming when all the JD fans all over the world boycott their films. This seems to be the reason he is leaving Hollywood folks and we have them and one evil lying gold digging extortionist ex-wife to thank for it. I hope they all get what's coming for them. JD is moving on now and doing his own thing. He saw the demise of Hollywood and those boring flappy fish market films coming for a long time and has been in the works to do many other things now.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 54250
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake
Status: Online

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:10 pm


User avatar
ForeverYoung
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:25 pm
Status: Offline

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:14 pm

Shame on Warner Bros. Seems like they afraid JD and/or the film makers will get nominated for Oscars in the US and that could be why they won't release the film. Cowards. :mad: :mad: :mad:
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

User avatar
Newt
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Status: Offline

MINAMATA Updates

Unread post by Newt » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:41 am

Warner Bros isn't involved in this. Amazon Studios owns MGM now.