Stephen Jeffreys author of The Libertine dies

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
justintime

Unread post by justintime » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:50 pm

... John Malkovich played Rochester in the US with his Chicago-based company Steppenwolf and eventually produced the film in 2004. By then he was too old to repeat his stage performance (Rochester died young) so he played a silently malicious King Charles II instead, while Johnny Depp turned in one of his most mesmerising performances as the debauched poet. A short documentary, Capturing the Libertine (2006), recounted the story of translating the play to the screen, a process fraught with financial and logistical difficulties; finally, the much delayed movie was shot on the Isle of Man because Depp was making another film there at the time...
I believe, but may be way off here, that the primary incentive for filming on the Isle of Man was, at the time, the much needed funding the film would receive for doing so.

The Libertine is unequivocally my hands-down favorite performance from Johnny, truly a gift. And that haunting music, especially at the end, just ricochets through my head for far too long afterward.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:53 pm

justintime wrote: The Libertine is unequivocally my hands-down favorite performance from Johnny, truly a gift. And that haunting music, especially at the end, just ricochets through my head for far too long afterward.
Absolutely, couldn't agree more. Mesmerizing is the word. And the cast, and the atmosphere and the music (which I still play endlessly) are all perfection. I simply don't understand why this movie was treated as it was in terms of distribution, and how, even today, it languishes.

Sad to hear Mr. Jeffreys passed. But what a glory he gave us.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:36 pm

Well said justintime and fireflydances.
My favorite movie of Johnny's as well. It meant a lot to Johnny too and I wish it got more recognition.
May Mr, Jeffreys rest in peace. Celebrating his life and his great work, The Libertine.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:30 am

I agree, ladies. The Libertine is a great movie, so emotional. The acting performance of each actor was magnificent . Rest in peace Mr. Jeffreys.