Rolling Stone Interview, June 21

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
meeps

Unread post by meeps » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:53 am

I agree about Rolling Stone ... They have been Johnny's friends in the past, and written wonderful articles about him. But now they mostly seems to have followed the herd - of lemmings over the cliff edge :-/

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:34 pm

You have to scroll up to the top:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/ar ... qus_thread

This article is a bit more realistic, but still not enough in my opinion (too open-ended where AH is concerned and no reference to dropped allegations; Roderick chose to open that door but in his zeal to stomp on Johnny he exposed only his own ignorance and unbridled bias - ugh - what a combination). Johnny gets no criticism from me - what I’ve come to appreciate is how excruciatingly little any of us really know or understand about his life. I’d be commenting from my own very private and very personal life perspective. Not a level playing field. There have been so many times over these last few years when I’ve just gone slack-jawed wondering how this man is still navigating through a day, how he could dredge up even one more ounce of compassion for his fellow man. To say I’m worried about him seems so small and empty and accomplishes nothing. But whatever heartfelt positivity I can send his way I do so, unequivocally, for the years of smiles, laughs, words, and unexpected boosts.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Cesar'sSusie

Unread post by Cesar'sSusie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:54 pm

justintime wrote:You have to scroll up to the top:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/ar ... qus_thread

This article is a bit more realistic, but still not enough in my opinion (too open-ended where AH is concerned and no reference to dropped allegations; Roderick chose to open that door but in his zeal to stomp on Johnny he exposed only his own ignorance and unbridled bias - ugh - what a combination). Johnny gets no criticism from me - what I’ve come to appreciate is how excruciatingly little any of us really know or understand about his life. I’d be commenting from my own very private and very personal life perspective. Not a level playing field. There have been so many times over these last few years when I’ve just gone slack-jawed wondering how this man is still navigating through a day, how he could dredge up even one more ounce of compassion for his fellow man. To say I’m worried about him seems so small and empty and accomplishes nothing. But whatever heartfelt positivity I can send his way I do so, unequivocally, for the years of smiles, laughs, words, and unexpected boosts.
:hello2:
I have to say, 'well said, justintime', I feel the same way. After following him and his career for over two decades, I've realized he's not only a grown man, but he's his 'own man' with ways of dealing with stresses and grief the only way he knows.
I was, at first, surprised at this article and his state of mind after seeing recent videos of him with the HVs. . .Singing Solo! I realize now how long ago this interview took place. He's made such progress now and that really makes me happy for him! He appears stronger and more confident with his singing to do so in front of an audience. I'm really looking forward to what his next projects will be. :cloud9:
"He's that and a whole lot more," said his driver. "He's a wonderful guy. I'll tell
you firsthand, he's a great man."
. . .and the Golden Globe goes to . . .
Johnny DEPP, for Sweeney Todd-The Demon Barber of Fleet Street!

stroch

Unread post by stroch » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:27 pm

justintime, thank you for the link to that piece--would that more would come to his defense. Just imagine having 3 days to do a profile of Johnny and wasting it to produce the RS dreck.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

DebbieJCDFan

Unread post by DebbieJCDFan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:27 pm

I was truly angry at RS when I read the "hatchet job" by Stephen Rodrick, and was shocked that the magazine would print such an ugly piece about Johnny. I know Johnny is not perfect, but the egotistical snob (calling him a writer is too good for him) who penned that hit-piece obviously relished the opportunity to make it as demeaning and vicious as possible. The spiked-online article makes a lot of good points on the current state of media coverage of Johnny. I pray he stays strong, and I think being with the other members of the Hollywood Vampires, especially Alice Cooper, Joe Perry and Tommy Henriksen, has been really good for him. You can also tell having the fans show their love for him everywhere he goes has really warmed his soul!
:myheart: :kiss: :love: :heartbeat:
Wait for the Opportune Moment!
DebbieJCDFan

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:51 am

Note: I moved this post to this topic as there was already a link and discussion here. :spin:
~Joni

The Philistine Destruction of Johnny Depp

James Black
Writer

Rolling Stone’s hatchet job shows little understanding of what makes a great artist. Stephen Rodrick’s recent Rolling Stone hit piece on Hollywood actor Johnny Depp is yet another example of what has become a lucrative industry in reputation takedowns. A sprawling article, peppered with judgemental smears, it turns Depp’s own brutal honesty against him.
In reporting his confessions about his financial troubles and self-destructive demons, Rodrick paints a clichéd picture of a deluded, movie-star man-child failing to come to terms with his waning star power.

‘Be honest and unmerciful.’ These are the journalistic words of advice Lester Bangs, played by Philip Seymour Hoffman, gives a young William Miller in the 2002 film Almost Famous. William, played by Patrick Fugit, follows the advice and writes a searing and frank account of his drug-fuelled road journeys among rock ’n’ roll’s big egos. Some might claim that Rodrick’s article is merely part of this gonzo tradition: a ruthlessly honest account from a journalist on the front lines of popular culture. However, there is a big difference between speaking truth to celebrity power, and kicking a troubled artist when he is down.

Depp is clearly not a saint. He no doubt agreed to speak to Rodrick as part of his (failing) publicity war with his former business managers, before he prepares to do battle with them in court over alleged fraud. His reported physical abuse of Amber Heard, if true, is obviously wrong. However, the ugly details of his divorce and his unstable mood swings are not a public concern, don’t speak to any wider global problem, and are not indicative of a lifetime of abuse.

In the interview, Depp is refreshingly candid about his ambivalent relationship with his mother, the effect of his marriage breakdown and the loss of his father-figure mentors, such as Hunter S Thompson, Marlon Brando and, more recently, Tom Petty. For a man who grew up with a volatile mother, all of this could have been framed as a cause for sympathy. Depp’s addictions, his violent outbursts and his seemingly unhinged behaviour are clearly partly the product of an unstable childhood. His recent struggles can at least partly be explained by the loss of supportive loved ones. However, Rodrick simply takes pot shots at Depp and betrays his confidence.

The ‘reputation takedown’ has become the default of lazy journalists and Gawker-esque, click-driven media.
The fact is, there is not an artist worth his or her salt who could not be damaged by revelations about their transgressive personality and their addictions. There is something medieval about the way our society seems to take pride in destroying the achievements of era-defining geniuses, especially when it comes cloaked in judgemental gossip and public shaming.

Bill Hicks once said that anyone who has a problem with drug-taking should collect all their favourite records and burn them, as great rock ’n’ roll is the product of dangerous lifestyles. Something similar can
be said of an actor like Depp. His edgy sensitiveness, his weirdo, dreamlike on-screen creations come at a cost, and that cost is a manic and unstable personality. To moralise about his failings is to show a complete ignorance of the psychological trapeze act that great artists need to perform.

Underneath the piety and condemnation of Depp is a deep, self-congratulating philistinism. How we treat our artists is a sign of our values as a culture. Given all the superciliousness contained in Depp’s Rolling Stone interview, it appears that we value virtuous posturing over the flamboyant, risk-taking genius that is necessary for great art.

James Black is a writer and folk singer based in London.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:00 am

So glad to see this posted here. Thank you Chocolate!!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:18 pm

I missed justintime's posted link to the article. Thank you justintime. :lilyrose:
I hope more fans who visit the JD Zone will read the article and have a clear understanding about how the media works to earn a dime.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

ozzie

Unread post by ozzie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:33 pm

I hope a lot of people complain to RS for this negative tabloid style article.

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:26 am

I just had a look at some of the comments over at RS, and they're a mixed bunch; some are on Johnny's side, and others are definitely not. But I hope, you get your wish fulfilled :zoner:

Q

Unread post by Q » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:17 am

I think the reason the Rolling Stone interview is so harsh and unlike past articles is due to the absence of one man: former editor Jann Wenner. When he was in charge at RS, the articles about Johnny Depp were positive and always framed Johnny as a cool cat, hip and interesting, because Wenner liked him, and they were both friends of Hunter Thompson. With Wenner gone, I'm surprised JD agreed to trust RS and do an interview like this. The cover story reads like it was written by someone who never cared for Johnny Depp for whatever reason, and decided to seize this moment to paint him in every shade of bad light he could find. I thought it was full of cheap shots, had an ugly tone, and came across as vindictive. (JD was badly advised by this new guy he's trusting, but that's a subject for another day. He used to be better protected. But he had Tracy Jacobs advising him back then.)

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:14 am

:agreesign: Q.....
That's exactly what I thought. In the past, our darling was better protected. These media are like sharks and artists have to be very careful who they give an interview to.

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:49 am

I found this while skipping around yesterday. Don’t know anything about the person who wrote it but it’s insightful, well-developed, and though a little slow to start, is worth reading every word to the very end (imho, of course).

SEBASTYNE
Rock n' Roll Notes
Johnny Depp, Stephen Rodrick, and The Rolling Stone’s Article
July 1, 2018 Sebby

In the light of what I had to say about Rolling Stone’s coverage on Extreme, it is a surprise that I find Rolling Stone’s more recent “damaging” article about Johnny Depp such a pleasant read. Johnny’s legal team considered it so bad, that they wanted to move his financial management dispute court date by a month to let the fuss die out, but I do have to laugh. Johnny is essentially being countersued for having spent his own money, which, by the way, is not a crime, unlike TMG spending his money without Johnny’s knowledge.

However, I realize that reading the opening paragraphs, a normie (a normal person, a sheeple) is already in distress. “What, he enters the room citing a piece of literature? What a weirdo!” Sure, he’s a weirdo. He’s unpredictable, and yet, predictable and consistent, dramatic while trying to play it down. He is wonderful. He is being wonderful. Magical, like the Rolling Stone journalist on the scene, Stephen Rodrick, managed to put forth noting how Depp’s presence was there even though he wasn’t there. Like a ghost of a living man.

The weirdo introduces himself
In the early paragraphs, Depp proceeds to do the ONLY thing that seems weird to me in the entire article; he introduces himself. He’s Johnny, apparently. Who knew, right? Johnny who?

This is more a Finn looking at the American culture, I’ve been wondering why they keep telling people their names a million times over when everyone knows everyone already! Aerosmith still introduces the band members during a show, after 40 odd years of playing to people, whoever doesn’t know their names by now should go through the trouble and google them. There’s no excuse to not know who Johnny Depp, Steven Tyler, or Joe Perry are, not even if you’d never seen one movie or heard one of their songs, you still have to connect those dots or hang your head in shame. It’s like asking “who’s the president of our nation currently?” (I actually have to think about that for a second, having left my country nearly 10 years ago and the president has been swapped once or twice during the time. It’s Niinistö, isn’t it? Sauli. Sale to his friends. A bird hobbyist whose wife just gave birth at a public hospital, there’s another interesting character on the surface, then, you realize he’s just Finnish.)

Anyway. Yeah. That’s just weird s**t the Yanks do, not really weird as in Johnny Depp -weird. Us Finns would have just walked in and said: “Hi”, or more likely “Terve”, which is Finnish for healthy, originally probably used as a question, now, only as a statement. A Finn would not even be asking for the name of the visitor. We’d know it. It would be rude to ask at this stage. If you don’t know someone’s name in Finland, you have to ask around. You can ask if there is absolutely no way to assume you’d know but if there’s been a snow ball’s chance in hell you’d know their name, you don’t ask. So that’s was weird.

The reference to his ex-wife rises an involuntary gag-reaction in me before I move on. Imagine he f***ed her. God almighty that’s gross. The constant reminder of Amber Wish I Had Never Heard Of Her is just too much to tolerate sometimes.

Moving right along.

The sense of humor
Stephen Rodrick, the writer continues the description of the introductions:

“‘So are you here to hear the truth?’ asks Depp as Russell brings him a glass of vintage red wine. ‘It’s full of betrayal.'” Rodrick quotes.

Granted, that’s weird, but you’d have to hear Depp’s tone of voice. I am sure there’s a hint of sarcasm and self-ridicule in it. Over-dramatising simply to make a point that this is somewhat of a self-indulgent over-reaction on his part, to invite Rolling Stones in.

Rodrick summarises the tabloids as of late, never a pleasant reading, (but can be hilarious in the right light) and moves on to mention that Depp is, at times, ‘incoherent’.

I always laugh when people call him incoherent. Whenever they do that, they are describing his sense of humor that is absolutely hilarious. He makes observations of people and then delivers those observations in a somewhat stripped down descriptive manner, you kinda have to see through his eyes to get it. He doesn’t want to ruin the story by making it too obvious, but I guess you have to be an avid people observer to know what he’s talking about half the time.

We, human beings, assume that whatever company we’re in, the others are equally intelligent and often the same way as we are. He wouldn’t insult a person’s intelligence by doing too thorough a job describing people – he observes them for a living, and erroneously assumes everyone else does, too. That’s what we have in common, him and I. The number of times my jokes have crashed and burned because people DO NOT observe other people are countless (a day). Especially my ex-husband-current-best-friend-flat-mate. He misses the most hilarious things and I feebly try and describe the events to him, and he just… Doesn’t get it. Anyway.

I can picture him trying to peer into the listener’s eye trying to find signs of understanding his meaning. When what he sees is a dumb amazement in the person’s eyes, he’ll likely give up trying and sigh to himself thinking: “Oh well, I’m not much of a comedian, am I?” Just guessing. I might not be much of a mind reader, but I’m pretty good.

Don’t assume he thinks he’s the boss
So according to the story, Depp keeps suggesting ‘hitting the town’, but “the big talk” doesn’t lead to actually going out. What I imagine is happening is this; He suggests hitting the town looking for signs of others wishing to do that. When he doesn’t get the “yeah that would be great, let’s go” he gives up and stays in assuming he’s the only one who wants to see the air outside.

The others are assuming he will call the shots and they’re prepared to follow him like meek servants on a leash if he chooses to go out, while he has no such expectations. He is used to democracy, even if he is the one with the money and power. In other words, he’s not a prick even after all of this success. He expects other adults to voice their f***ing opinion and wishes about whether or not they want to go to town with him. But no. He gets a scared silence and interprets that as their reluctance to go out, and he doesn’t want to make anyone do as he wants to do… Again, he’s not an over-bearing a-hole.

Or so I imagine.

Why should he “admit to” having spent what is obvious he has spent?
Depp’s “current predicament” is NOT about him being strapped for cash, not really. His current predicament is about financial managers who have, according to several accountants and lawyers willing to go to trial with it, stolen money from him. He has never claimed to be good with money, in fact, he has repeatedly admitted to being rubbish with money, and thus, he has hired a plethora of people to worry about it on his behalf. That is the most responsible thing a person who knows his s**t with money can do.

His sin is earning so much money he has to invent ways to spend it. He is a person who doesn’t really care about money, which means he spends it vigorously.

Also, he has an unwise ideal of trusting people against his own better judgment. He believes, it is prejudice and a sign of his bad character, to doubt someone without a reasonable cause, based on nothing but a “bad feeling”. It benefits the dishonest to guilt the honest and rich to unwisely trust them… They do it all the time, and in all levels of the society, and not only with money. If you want to get away with something, make the person you’re hiding things from feel guilty for doubting you so they’ll look away.

So, his predicament shouldn’t worry him more than what is actually his fault. He has never denied being careless. He may also avoid truly looking into what is going on, as he’s too gentle hearted to, for instance, take too hard a look on his sister’s and her family’s spending of his money. That is an enormous source of discomfort to anyone, as your feeling of being betrayed by your own family fights your loyalty towards your family and the expectation that what is mine is also yours… Even if what the family has done is nothing but spend it – or being paid to do a specific job that they’re paid for… But who decides taking a bit of extra certainly won’t hurt Johnny.

The low blows Stephen delivers
Rodrick suggests that what Depp did at 28 is now “disturbing” at 55. I, however, take the side of Penelope Cruz on that one. Swashbucklers are not supposed to age between their ears or act their age. They’re supposed to be bad and shameless until they die with their boots on. The rest of you mere mortals can sit by the fire in your slippers all you want, but leave the bad boys and bad grown boys to us bad grown girls.

Maybe the most insulting part about the article, to not only Depp but his fans, too, is the notion he has lost his charm. He hasn’t. He is aging, but so are his fans. It is depressing to NO extent to watch people of your own age slow down and get boring, and he is a glimmer of freaking hope. A man-boy. Whatever. *Throws in a teen-woman objection.* The thing is, yes. Of course, that’s true in a sense. He is a man-boy. He plays in a band and obsesses over his idols. Well. Some of us kid adults do.

The love of his late mother
What I don’t understand, given my own issues with my mother whom I shamelessly hate – the bitch can die alone for all I care, preferably in indescribable pain – is his undying love for his. By the sound of it, she was… Well, mean and abusive in a different way than mine, but how can he both acknowledge her mean streak and still keep loving her? I don’t understand that. It’s kind of a submissive idea that she had the right because she was a woman and his mother. Two things that supposedly makes a person a saint despite her actions.

I have no sympathy for women who abuse their children, any more than I have sympathy for men who abuse their children. Why do we forgive women for s**t no man could ever get away with? Even if he was a boy, there were many years when she was bigger than him. Bigger and stronger. Bigger, stronger, and scarier.

Is this the kinda thing “she’d do anything for me” except respect me as a person, a human being, and treat me with love and kindness? Anything except show love? Anything except making her child feel worthy and secure? Like my mother would think: “I’ll abuse you all I want, but if anyone else says half a word against you, I’ll kill them.” f*** that, if your mother is the meanest person you’ve ever met, you don’t mind what “dangers” the outside world holds. So I don’t understand that loyalty, but good on her, I guess.

Hiring a financial manager for appearing ‘broken’
And Rodrick gets back to Depp’s finances again. Depp hired Mendell because Mendell seemed “broken”. Again, Rodrick, in the article, seems confused. Why would he hire a guy he sees is “broken”. Hastily, Depp explains how he likes broken characters, like the ones he makes movies of, and Rodrick doesn’t, to me hilariously, understand the connection. To Depp, this is a logical choice, although I am sure he interpreted Mendell’s nervousness wrong. He should have been a little more open-eyed. This was quite possibly a guy after his first hustle – in the worst possible meaning of the word. It would make anyone nervous. After that, Mendell might have gained a lot of confidence – who would have guessed this asshole bought his act! Depp thought the brokenness was as a sign of honesty and “the big guys” having beaten this guy down… But what was really there already might be something different.

And also, people who have a long time access to a lot of unsupervised money, tend to start feeling like they SHOULD just take it as not taking it is bordering on irresponsible stupidity. Tilaisuus tekee varkaan, says a Finnish proverb; an opportunity maketh a thief.

Depp is right about one of his unbroken characters, Jack Sparrow. Nobody wants to see Jack sad or in deep contemplation about his existence. He’s supposed to play through life like the Fool in Tarot cards. Dangerously close to the edge, about to fall, but always managing to somehow stay alive all the while cracking jokes. Jack Sparrow is such a brilliant character it’s a shame it belongs to Disney. Jack Sparrow should not be a Disney character, it’s a sacrilege against Jack… as much as I love Disney’s Cinderella. (I had a childhood obsession with Cinderella. To me, she was the princess of all princesses.)

TMG sounds like a panicked little brother screaming “he started it!”
As for TMG, I’m tired of listening to their whining. There’s a company quite likely facing bankruptcy (not that anyone has mentioned it, but they would lose a loooot of money) should they be taken down at the court. That’ll be the end of their business, no doubt. They’re scared. They have NOTHING to say for themselves except that they tried to make a feeble attempt to guide Depp to spend less, every now and again, without REALLY making it clear, possibly out of fear of both of the Depps they dealt with. Johnny might be the sweetest person ever, but he freaks people out unintentionally because they can’t understand him. He’s too complicated for a normal person to make heads or tails about, and what you can’t understand, scares you. What I’ve also found out in my own life, nothing confuses a liar more than a person who always tells the truth.

Also, a person who sweats at a job interview enough to land it out of sympathy is not likely to be very assertive telling a multimillionaire he’s “almost broke”. The only defense they have is “Johnny Depp spent more of his money than we ever did…” One should hope so, too.

TMG sounds like a child who is pointing at the big brother going: “HE STARTED IT!!!” Who the f*** cares what these people say? These are balless incompetent sad losers who struck a deal because Depp had a soft spot for a sweating guy. There’s a lot to be said about that, too, but whatever TMG says, it’s to distract people from the fact they did an awful job at what they were supposed to do, had no idea how to handle a client of this magnitude and certainly a client of his character, and, eventually, quite possibly realized they could also, in addition to not really risking pissing him off, skim some of the money without him likely paying attention.

Let’s just focus on what’s relevant here
Also, what legal decisions were made on Depp’s behalf, like going directly to the judges with the case is not Depp’s fault. They might have done better going to TMG first offering them a chance to clear this up without a fuss, and I am sure Depp would have preferred that option, too, but if his lawyers decide to go directly to the court, then, that’s what they do. Did they give Depp the option to choose? We don’t know that, but we know they probably should have. The unfortunate thing is, that lawyers who charge a crapload of money may not be the best lawyers money could buy, but the most delusional of one’s own abilities. The more you know, the more aware you’re also of your own shortcomings, so the most conscientious people tend not to be too quick to call themselves “the best” at anything.

And I can’t believe people keep bringing up the Kardashian couch as an example of “extravagant spending”. If you are a multi-millionaire and your teenaged daughter asks for a Kardashian couch for a birthday present or is known to have a thing for the show, are you going to say no to a $7000 sofa? Hell no you aren’t. It is CRAZY to keep bringing it up. You know what these every day f*** ugly freaking sofas cost these days at the furniture shops, with zero stardust sprinkled on them? Just google sofas in the shopping section and shut the f*** up about it already.

The amount of money Depp spent is IRRELEVANT
Depp is also not hiding his own spending, because it is f***ing IRRELEVANT to this case. It functions only as a character smear. He’s not accusing TMG for him being broke, what he’s accusing TMG of is STEALING f***ing MONEY. I don’t know why people keep talking about his spending. It’s his money, and if he wants to, he can, as he said somewhere, if I recall, buy a semi truck full of cotton balls, that’s his business. What is in question here is what did TMG (and Christi) do with HIS money. What Depp did with his money is so f***ing irrelevant that it’s not even funny. It’s entertaining and interesting, but irrelevant to his lawsuit.

Sure, Depp probably made the mistake of blurring the lines of business and friendship, which made Mendell see his funds as his funds, the same as Christi did, but as professionals, they should have understood business is business and friendship is friendship, and friends don’t steal friend’s money. Then again, Mendell might have rationalized it as friends don’t keep money from friends. When Depp’s way of thinking goes “I won’t piss off my financial managers, but treat them as friends, to ensure they won’t screw me over”, but Mendell’s way of thinking is the opposite “well, he considers us friends, which means he won’t be too mad if I take some of his money…”

As for the suggestion that Depp should manage his family’s spending better, or even cut them off, that’s a big ask. Just imagine what you would do yourself if this was your family. Even if he hated their guts, the press would kill him for cutting them off. Those people have been sitting pretty on his money, knowing he can’t cut them off and still have people think he’s a decent guy. Just imagine the headlines: “Johnny Depp won’t share his fortune with his family members”.

You can’t see what you don’t want to see
When he describes the way he signed the papers sent to him – head tilted to the left and writing with the right hand – it describes his emotion doing it. You know when you don’t want to admit it to yourself that you don’t trust the people who are supposed to look out for you. You look away because you don’t want to ask any questions. You don’t want to see what’s right in front of you. Deception, or, at least, incompetence, you don’t want to confront them with after declaring you’re the shittest money manager there is. And you turn the blind eye and allow these people to screw you over, and you wish it will go away. But him not paying attention, is not what TMG is being accused of. Whether he paid attention or not is not a crime, it’s stupid, but not a crime. TMG, if found guilty, committed an actual crime.

As for Amber Never Heard Of Before Depp, I am not going to get back into it, I’ve already written ENTIRELY too many lines of a woman who isn’t worth the paper her made-for-puns-and-jokes name is printed on. Have you ever, by the way, tried counting how much money she cost Depp per hour? That’s one expensive blondie to hook arms with.

Honesty
Honest people, who believe “truth is the most important thing” tend to think other people live by the same code. If you believe honesty is your highest or one of your highest values, you’ll avoid seeing dishonesty in the people you care about, because that would be impolite of you to even notice. It would force you to cut them out of your circles, too, if you saw it. So you avoid seeing it until the truth is rammed home the hard way. And no matter how OBVIOUS it sounds after you see it, it is easy for you to be completely naive for a large part of your life and even force yourself to trust all the wrong people because you didn’t want to call a spade a spade.

But deep down, you know.

Janine Rayburn is one of those honest people. Her behavior is completely consistent with a person who has nothing but honesty driving her. I admire her greatly for refusing to do the job assigned to her, and now coming out to tell what she knows despite consequences. Of course, TMG wants to dispute her credibility. What else could they do if they intend to get away with what they’ve done?

Family
As for Christi’s idea that her money is Johnny’s and Johnny’s money is hers, I’d like to see that to be true if Johnny truly lost everything. LOL. What I see is accusations to the effect of: “You had one job, Johnny, you had ONE JOB!”

I too have a brother, younger. He makes a lot more money than I do, even though he’s far from being rich. At least he makes grown-up money as I make nothing at the moment. Still, I would never in a million years assume his money is mine, not in a MILLION YEARS no matter how much money he made. The kind of thinking that family member’s money is automatically shared is very odd to me, even though I know people like that exist. Sure, if I’d be a multimillionaire, he’d get “his share”, but I wouldn’t expect him to go into my wallet without asking me first. If he was a multimillionaire, I wouldn’t ask him for a cent. He’d have to go through quite a bit of trouble to convince me that it was OK for me to use his credit card.

The way people treat their family members and each other’s funds is very individual, and as far as legalities go, Johnny’s money IS NOT Christi’s money, no matter how much she thinks they’re one and the same thing… But it is difficult to deny a greedy sister who thinks she has rights to “her share” if you still want to keep peace with the rest of the family. I wonder how the other two siblings feel about Christi’s attitude about Johnny’s money.

More Low Blows
I also resent the remark that “Depp seems happy to just have someone to hang out with” as if it would be a sign of some kind of a sad loser to be able to enjoy the company of his guest. How ungrateful and obnoxiously judgemental of Rodrick. People say Johnny Depp is the nicest person they’ve ever met, how difficult is it to extend that description to the fact he likes to have conversations with people. It’s a sign of intelligence, not a sign of loneliness. I shudder at the thought of people who consider it a sign of weakness that a person is able to enjoy THEIR particular company. “I wouldn’t be a member of any club who accepted me as a member”, right? It’s like he’s waiting to get proof that Johnny Depp is no better than he is, or that the fact Johnny Depp has time for Stephen Rodrick is a sign of “Depp declining”. To fix his shaking ego by making observations that prove Johnny Depp is declining and falling apart. “Look at him, he enjoys the company of normal people. How sad!”

Rodrick also points out there’s nobody in the house with them who isn’t paid to be there. Why should there be? Depp has invited Rolling Stone to do a piece on him, it would be rude of him to entertain guests at the same time. He’s not one of those people who’d invite a house full of people for the reporter to see, then pretend to be entirely too important to answer the reporter’s questions, given all of this booze and women that need his attention.

This is introvert politeness, not “sad and lonely” like extroverts see it. What is he supposed to do? Fill the house with a f***ing entourage that he has never wanted to have, just to appear cool for the Rolling Stone? Hell no. The man has more class than that. Extroverted stars have people around them at all times because they enjoy people noise, but introverts are happy shutting themselves away from the world, one of the many privileges their money buys them. There aren’t many people as introverted as Johnny Depp, so don’t be surprised he’s alone. He may be alone but that is not the same thing as lonely. Extroverts keep making that assumption, and they’re always wrong.

His option is to save his time between the people he really loves and respects, but those people have f***ing jobs of their own. A career. They’re too busy to be there for Depp 24/7 because half of them are on a tour or something, the other half shooting films and what’s left are probably doing an interview with the Rolling Stones or something. The other option is to fill his house with meaningless rifraf, and he’s too intelligent for that. Quality over quantity!

I love the remarks Depp was making though. A remake of Titanic shot in a bathtub. If Hollywood is out, there’s always an iPhone, unless Depp has wisely moved onto Android, it’s slightly heavier to throw at people, I suggest. Dude, do the movie with a phone camera alone, drunk and high. What could possibly go wrong? I used to have a Lego boat when I was a kid. A red one, my brother had a bigger blue Lego boat. We played with them in the bathtub. They floated well, but they also broke into pieces as Lego does. A lick of paint…

Just my two cents
Johnny Depp is a beautiful character, who doesn’t care that much what people think of him. Someone not afraid of showing vulnerability and his own flaws. He knows he’s not perfect, nobody is, so there’s no point pretending to be.

To get a chance to pick that brain of his! I have such a love affair with his brain. It would be fun to see the depths where it would take a conversation, and what further tangents I could send him on… That would be something.

One day.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

moviemom

Unread post by moviemom » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:53 am

SEBASTYNE
Rock n' Roll Notes
Johnny Depp, Stephen Rodrick, and The Rolling Stone’s Article
July 1, 2018 Sebby

To get a chance to pick that brain of his! I have such a love affair with his brain. It would be fun to see the depths where it would take a conversation, and what further tangents I could send him on… That would be something.

One day.
I think a lot of us would love to just sit and have a conversation with Johnny. Any topic, any tangent!

:flower2:
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread post by Joni » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:58 am

Thanks for finding this article justintime! :thanks!: