Rolling Stone Interview, June 21

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:38 pm

Thank you fireflydances for your poignant words on this sensitive subject.
It was not only a voice of reason and clarity, but comforting as well.
What I take with me is, what remains after the fall of a broken man, is hope.

I'll add that the awful illustration Rolling Stone chose to attach to the article did Johnny no favors.
The picture only further provokes the illusion of an angry, sinister man.

I appreciate the comments from everyone in this thread, as well.
I hope someone from Johnny's circle, who may monitor fan's input, will convey our love, respect and support for him,
because that is our truth.

Please note, it was our member firefly who posted the poignant words. :spin:
Very similar Zone names!
~Joni
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:41 pm

The interview took place more than 6 months ago.
He seems to have improved his state of mind since that time.

I do think he is probably broke. It is always possible to spend more than income. Historically, rich kingdoms have been destroyed by extravagant kings/emperors; good companies have been bankrupted by management who did were too optimistic about cash flow; ordinary people have overspent. Johnny is naturally generous and not skilled in following finances. His property assets seem to have mortgages so their sale will return him less than their value. I am not implying this is trivial; it will be very difficult but he still has the skills to work.

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:05 pm

Chocolat wrote:Thank you fireflydances for your poignant words on this sensitive subject.
It was not only a voice of reason and clarity, but comforting as well.
What I take with me is, what remains after the fall of a broken man, is hope.

I'll add that the awful illustration Rolling Stone chose to attach to the article did Johnny no favors.
The picture only further provokes the illusion of an angry, sinister man.

I appreciate the comments from everyone in this thread, as well.
I hope someone from Johnny's circle, who may monitor fan's input, will convey our love, respect and support for him,
because that is our truth.

Please note, it was our member firefly who posted the poignant words. :spin:
Very similar Zone names!
~Joni

My apologies, yes firefly. :namaste:
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:27 am

:agreesign: firefly :heartflower:

So much resect, love and peace for Johnny. As already said, this interview is six months old!
Now he is on a better way, thanks to the wonderful Vampires friends. Ladies, he is strong and has a hard time behind him. He will solve his problems and everything will be fine. :heart4: :namaste:

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:31 am

denise wrote:Sounds like Johnny needs a psychologist
Yes, maybe professional help would do him good. But I suspect, that the gossip mags would've a field day - or several - with it, if they found out, he had tried that. Plus Johnny would perhaps, and unfortunately, by now be afraid, that the person, he went to talk to, would betray him, and do a "tell all about it" if the same mags paid enough ...
I am not saying, she or he would. Just that Johnny might fear it.
So I think, him writing things down, as he says in this interview, that he did, is the next best thing. And not so bad a thing to do either.

ibbi 3

Unread post by ibbi 3 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:03 pm

Yes I think he´s proberbly broke. If he has all these financial problems and still lives like this, so many people / including a chef! / on his payrol... and besides, a life time of abuse...drugs and alcohol will eventually caught up with him.
He seems in a happy place and doing much better now, the concerts show him happy, relaxed and smiling. But I´m scared of his health.
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

Judymac

Unread post by Judymac » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:32 pm

meeps wrote:
denise wrote:Sounds like Johnny needs a psychologist
Yes, maybe professional help would do him good. But I suspect, that the gossip mags would've a field day - or several - with it, if they found out, he had tried that. Plus Johnny would perhaps, and unfortunately, by now be afraid, that the person, he went to talk to, would betray him, and do a "tell all about it" if the same mags paid enough ...
I am not saying, she or he would. Just that Johnny might fear it.
So I think, him writing things down, as he says in this interview, that he did, is the next best thing. And not so bad a thing to do either.

Meeps, it is highly unlikely that anyone would sell Johnny's medical information to the tabloids. The US has very strict laws regarding misuse of medical information. The laws are called HIPPA Laws; they went into effect in 1996. For an accidental violation (for example, someone overhears the medical information of another) the person giving out the information would be fined. For an intentional violation like selling someone's health information the person can get a very hefty fine and up to ten years in prison. The doctor could possibly also lose his medical license. Anyone who works in the medical field is aware of HIPAA laws and knows not to violate them. I am not saying that there has never been a HIPAA violation just that it is unlikely. You just can not give out medical information without the patients permission. As an example, when a celebrity is in the hospital there is usually a very carefully worded press release by their press agent. This is because only the patient can decide what information can be given out. Sorry if this is off topic. I was going to send Meeps a PM but I thought maybe some of the other non US Depp fans might be interested in this too.

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:07 pm

We don't know if he has been getting counselling or not.
He seems to be working through a very traumatic time and improving.
There are a couple of things he said in the interview including about his mother and wanting to fix people, that seemed to be the type of topic he might have talked about with a grief counselor.
He does not have to tell the public if he has been talking to a professional.

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:08 pm

:thanks!: for posting the article so that we don't give RS or the other sites the benefit of our clicks. Had it not been a hit piece, I would have bought the issue anyway. Here are some of my thoughts. I was surprised about his mom: while I had the impression that she was a tough but funny character, I thought it was his dad who was the physical one (maybe I got that from the dad who terrorized the family in Loser's Town). Maybe both parents were. The part where he made fun of Johnny having difficulty opening the gate to let him out was mean: Depp was renting the place in England for a brief time and his driver or security probably always opened it for him. Also, it's clear the hope of the piece was to show Johnny in a positive light in the way that the author was granted interviews by big stars who love Johnny: Penelope Cruz and Tim Burton. But the author used just a line from each of them, I guess trying to make him look unbiased by including them. This author has a rep for being snarky, so I can't imagine why they didn't choose someone else, even Doug Stanhope, to write this. Maybe the author was paid by TMG or Bloom or other industry people after the fact to turn it into a hit piece since they stand to lose a lot if Johnny wins, particularly on the invalid contract issue. And why should we believe anything from this author, who admitted he was drinking, smoking dope with little sleep over 72 hours? Anyway, this was 6 months ago. Johnny appears to have gotten much better since then, whether it was with the help of the Vampires or just by himself.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:14 am

Celebrity is such a funny thing. Early on, accolades are heaped on the newly anointed one who is often assumed to be not just good at what he or she does, but talented beyond measure. But the culture surrounding celebrity is quick to see flaws when the golden one doesn't continue to climb to higher and higher plains of glory. And media, ever on the hunt for the latest trend, is quick to follow suit, quick to pull out its script for failing celebs.

We can never assume that any mass media story is factual or that the writer has the best of intentions towards his subject. It's a business that thrives on drama. I bet there has been a nice boost in RS sales.

It is hard for us to determine what is actually true. We can depend to a certain extent on what we see and hear from those who are friends. As fans we are close watchers. We may have met him. We have listened closely, read closely, his words. We know his smile and we can sense his degree of comfort in lots of situations. I don't want to speak out of turn but I think all of us know this man to be gentle, generous, vulnerable and subject to his emotions. He is a good man who has been having a difficult time.

The only good and necessary thing we have to offer him is human kindness. A willingness to "have his back" during a time when the wider culture has decided he's not perfect.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:53 am

Thanks a billion for that explanation, Judymac :airkiss2:
That comforts this old hen mother quite a lot :love:

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:06 am

:agreesign: RumLover , Ruby Begonia and fireflydances ! From the bottom of my heart.,thank you so much !!! :namaste:

Ade3

Unread post by Ade3 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:46 am

I have been thinking a lot about the article and the timing of it. In 2017 we all thought he was doing much better - this time last year at the Pirates premieres he looked so well and then all through the summer and autumn he looked healthy. So I worried that we'd maybe misread and that concerned me - because let's face it, 2015/16 there were times he looked bloated and unwell - and we could all see that but once he shed the baggage he looked physically and emotionally lighter.

And then of course it hit me: this interview was done just after Fantastic Beasts was filmed - he'd been cocooned away filming and as he has always said - for years and years - that whenever he finishes filming he feels awful, is often ill and gets depressed. I sense a strong element of that in the interview. He'd done the film, he's away from his music playing buddies and home, he has to be in this rented house (rented by Warner Bros) and so he probably wasn't at his happiest.

ozzie

Unread post by ozzie » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:59 pm

I'm disappointed in RS. I thought they would have written about his music, The Hollywood Vampires and their highly successful tours, his art, his writing and his acting and all the positive things about his accomplishments. Instead they rehashed old news.
I've always been a fan of RS, but now I don't know!!!

flo116

Unread post by flo116 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:02 pm

Johnny is real and honest and that is why I have always admired him. He is going through a tough time all I can do is wish him well and hope he gets through it, I just hope he realizes what a great human being he is and how much he has done for us.
I have not been a RS fan for several yrs.
"What interested me was that he has so many faces" "But each one is completely pure & innocent" Francois Marie Banier about Johnny