WAITING FOR THE BARBARIANS Updates, Reviews and Discussion

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Okay, one more for the night. This is a short but extremely insightful review of the movie which compares it to David Lean's beautiful films of the late 1960s such as Lawrence of Arabia. If you are a certain age you will remember that film. Frankly I can still hear and see it. The article also mentions that Marc's portrayal of the Magistrate is reminiscent Alec Guinness.

Yes, keep talking, keep it up and we will have this one in indie theaters across the States.

Link to Cineuropa's review:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:08 pm

:thankyou: FF!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:51 pm

Here's an interview with Mark Rylance that I really like. Johnny is mentioned at the end of the article. I have to say I miss the chance of getting to listen to him talk deeply about a role, the sort of thing that happens when a film opens in the US or even London. Frustrating. I think he has a lot more to say about Col Joll and JM Coetzee's examination of the empire.

Interview by New Europe:

"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Ade-ele

Unread post by Ade-ele » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:41 pm

Fireflydances - maybe this will help - apologies if it has already been put here. They all speak very interestingly about their parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js38SXJGffc

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:55 pm

WFTB is scheduled to be screened at the BFI London Film Festival October 6, 7, & 9. Apparently, Johnny wasn’t there for today’s screening although I was under the impression he was expected to make an appearance. Just wishful thinking I guess . . .

Nice review:

"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:41 pm

Two decent reviews found over at Stephen Deuters Twitter account. Both are worth reading. Martyn Conterio at Cine-Vue, and then Electric Shadows gives the film a 4-star rating!

Yes! People who know the book and who are discerning critics. Nice stuff. Thank you Stephen Deuters!!