THE PROFESSOR (Richard Says Goodbye) Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Sun May 26, 2019 1:13 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:The movie is getting 82% positive ratings from viewers on Rotten Tomatoes.

:snoopydances: I hope the "powers that be" are paying attention!

smithyn76

Unread post by smithyn76 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:35 am

I already pre-ordered my copy from Amazon.uk, it is released on June 24th 2019. :loveshower:

Can't wait to see the movie. It looks great, just by watching the trailer and seeing all those nice pics of Johnny in this role.
He looks very human and dare I say, normal. Just as I prefer to see him :flashingheart: and not hidden behind a big make-up mask. :bigwink: This way his facial expressions are pure and so Johnny :truefan: :myheart:

Once I have that DVD in my possession, I'm sure to watch that movie more than once. It will surely be one of the most watched ones I have, just like Ninth Gate or Public Enemies. :heart4:
:zoner: EVOLVE THE FUTURE - Dr. Will Caster, Professor at Berkeley :zoner:

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Fri May 31, 2019 2:13 pm

Well, looky there, Ron Wilkinson from It’s Just Movies had the hutzpah to actually break ranks with Variety’s out-of-the-box, before-the-credits-finished-rolling October, 2018, ZFF lead “review” and give The Professor a passing score: seven out of ten stars! So now RT’s tally is 6% positive (one positive review) amongst the esteemed professionals, and 83% positive amongst the rabble, i.e. the audience.

"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Sweeney Todd

Unread post by Sweeney Todd » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:52 pm

justintime wrote:Well, looky there, Ron Wilkinson from It’s Just Movies had the hutzpah to actually break ranks with Variety’s out-of-the-box, before-the-credits-finished-rolling October, 2018, ZFF lead “review” and give The Professor a passing score: seven out of ten stars! So now RT’s tally is 6% positive (one positive review) amongst the esteemed professionals, and 83% positive amongst the rabble, i.e. the audience.

Now his lowest rated movie is back to being Amber Heard's London Fields, in which he has an uncredited cameo. :lol:
:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

ibbi 3

Unread post by ibbi 3 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:54 am

The Professor. :heartflower:
I watched it Sunday. It's perfect! It's a little diamant. What a movie. The cast. The music score. The scenery. Johnny. What a role! I love this type of movies. This will hold place in my top 10. High on the list. Loved it.
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

ibbi 3

Unread post by ibbi 3 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:56 am

smithyn76 wrote:I already pre-ordered my copy from Amazon.uk, it is released on June 24th 2019. :loveshower:

Can't wait to see the movie. It looks great, just by watching the trailer and seeing all those nice pics of Johnny in this role.
He looks very human and dare I say, normal. Just as I prefer to see him :flashingheart: and not hidden behind a big make-up mask. :bigwink: This way his facial expressions are pure and so Johnny :truefan: :myheart:
Once I have that DVD in my possession, I'm sure to watch that movie more than once. It will surely be one of the most watched ones I have, just like Ninth Gate or Public Enemies. :heart4:
:ok: Same here. You will love it!!
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:46 am

ibbi 3 wrote:The Professor. :heartflower:
I watched it Sunday. It's perfect! It's a little diamant. What a movie. The cast. The music score. The scenery. Johnny. What a role! I love this type of movies. This will hold place in my top 10. High on the list. Loved it.
Agree - 100%! :heart3:
"Stay low." ~ JD

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:49 pm

Sad movie, especially when it hits him that things like feeling the spark and excitement of a possible future romance with a beautiful woman are over for him (I'm referring to the bar scene with Zoey Deutch).

Richard put himself and his needs last, so much that he didn't go to the doctor to check on his back pain until it was too late. He and Peter had more of a caring married couple type relationship with each other than each had with their wives. Their scenes were my favorites.

Sad but satisfactory that the last we see of Richard's cold, greedy wife is her standing entirely alone, looking rather lost. The daughter's relationship with her lover mirrored that of her parents.

Interesting movie with wonderful performances.

Newt

Unread post by Newt » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:34 am

Reviews (the few that exist) got it wrong again (happens more and more these days). This is a pretty delightful film, this is actually one of my favorite and I think best performances Johnny has ever delivered, it's just a great part for him and obviously the concept of the film allows him to let loose and be irreverent, rude at times, not giving a crap and do whatever whenever. The tone is pretty light throughout but occasionally goes dramatic when it's appropriate. Strong supporting cast too but Johnny carries the whole thing and he just makes it a joy to watch, people will probably sleep on it because the film has such a low profile but this is another great performance after TCOG.

Sweeney Todd

Unread post by Sweeney Todd » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:09 pm

The Professor opened #1 in Italy.

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:38 pm

Sweeney Todd wrote:The Professor opened #1 in Italy.
Apparently there are no stats - domestic, foreign, or otherwise - that are available for this film on Box Office Mojo. Its haphazard, “who cares” distribution here in the states is unforgivable, but should not be ignored. Johnny has some very powerful enemies out there, with very deep pockets.
"Stay low." ~ JD

Ade3

Unread post by Ade3 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:57 pm

Just watched it. Loved it, one of those films you could watch again and again. Probably won't make it into my top ten but that's only because he has done so many important films and roles. For me it was quite unlike anything he'd done before. At points it almost felt like it could have been a Woody Allen movie. Johnny stopped it being overly sentimental which it could so easily have been by using humour or being objectionable or whatever. At times I thought the script slightly let it down, but the cast really carried it. It avoided the obvious (like him not sleeping with the Zoey D character yet hooking up with the homely waitress). I ended up liking the relationship with the wife and the mutual respect they eventually gave each other - although one slight gripe - how would any women in her right mind sleep with Henry when Mr Gorgeousness was right next to her in bed. (Then again as I write that - I realise that of course one stupid women really did do that in real life ........)

Much as I enjoyed it - it also made me realise something. People criticise him for doing the big, over the top characters - but I do actually want to see him do those. I suppose the real genius of the man is that he went from filming the Professor to creating Grindelwald. And you could say that a lot of actors could have played Richard - but not then go on and do Grindelwald.

Sweeney Todd

Unread post by Sweeney Todd » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:26 pm

justintime wrote:
Sweeney Todd wrote:The Professor opened #1 in Italy.
Apparently there are no stats - domestic, foreign, or otherwise - that are available for this film on Box Office Mojo. Its haphazard, “who cares” distribution here in the states is unforgivable, but should not be ignored. Johnny has some very powerful enemies out there, with very deep pockets.
Foreign stats are available for City of Lies though. Maybe it takes time.

Sweeney Todd

Unread post by Sweeney Todd » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:15 pm

Now it's got an undeveloped Box Office Mojo page: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/in ... R01&p=.htm

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:15 pm

My The Professor DVD arrived as promised yesterday - and, no exaggeration, I’ve been watching it again and again. I’m convinced this movie is a gift to us. Johnny leaves us something in this film that seems so very personal, that is so different from any of his other movies, I really can’t express how grateful I am. Based on the 83% audience approval rating on RT, I guess I’m not alone. Also, I melt into an emotional puddle while the song Little Things is performed by Kathy Ingraham throughout the closing credits.

I’ve noticed there are now some rumblings about a proper theatrical release in n the US and UK for City of Lies. Bet distributors are kicking themselves for listening to the “pros” (e.g. the likes of Richard Roeper: “Poof! No doubt this movie will disappear quickly before our very eyes.” ) and dumping The Professor like a wasted effort.
"Stay low." ~ JD