The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
User avatar
Jackslady
Posts: 4396
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:17 pm
Location: The Captain's Cabin
Status: Offline

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Jackslady » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:08 pm

ForeverYoung wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:42 pm
Theresa wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:34 pm
EXCLUSIVE: Judge DENIES all of Amber Heard's post-trial motions to have the verdict of her defamation trial against Johnny Depp thrown out and the case retried after the actress claimed a juror was illegitimate



(Picture of court document included in article)
:harhar: :biglaugh: :rotflmao:
:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

User avatar
Judymac
Posts: 991
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 6:23 pm
Status: Offline

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Judymac » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:47 pm

ForeverYoung wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:42 pm
Theresa wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:34 pm
EXCLUSIVE: Judge DENIES all of Amber Heard's post-trial motions to have the verdict of her defamation trial against Johnny Depp thrown out and the case retried after the actress claimed a juror was illegitimate



(Picture of court document included in article)
:harhar: :biglaugh: :rotflmao:
KARMA!!!!! :lolsign: :biglaugh:

User avatar
Lbock
Posts: 1673
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 4:43 pm
Status: Offline

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:24 pm

Still reading. NY Marine says no way paying intentional torte. But Travelers is arguing against them. I have not seen anything that Travelers is also claiming they won’t pay torte. They want NY Mariners $1M paid

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 55540
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake
Status: Offline

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:18 pm

Almost all items will be unsealed.
All juror information will be unsealed in June 2023.


User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 55540
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake
Status: Offline

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:21 pm


User avatar
ForeverYoung
Posts: 1976
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:25 pm
Status: Offline

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:09 am

Her tactics for a retrial have failed. She must not have the money to pay the judgment and the insurance is most likely not paying the judgment or else she wouldn't be trying to stall. I really don't think the insurance would pay her legal fees if she does appeal.
She is in a lot of trouble right now, with the judgment, the OZ investigation and one of her ins. co.'s is suing. She has nobody to blame but herself, although she won't. If she had just listened to JD when he was trying to reason with her to settle the divorce peacefully and amicably this trial would never have happened. She refused, saying she had a rep. to protect and really believed that people, including his fans, would take her side. Well, that ship has long sailed since the trial and he told her six years ago "you can't save your reputation now."

She said that JD told her the only work she will get is doing Depends commercials. He is probably right.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

User avatar
Chocolat
Posts: 10815
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Sleepy Hollow
Status: Offline

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Chocolat » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:08 pm

I just have to give a heartfelt shout out the Chief Judge Penney Azcarate for her fairness, patience and legal wisdom throughout the trial and post trial decisions. I have so much respect for this woman, especially with having to deal with the amount of dishonesty that Amber Heard and her legal team presented in court. I felt so badly for Judge Penney on the day Mr. Alejandro Romero gave his testimony during the cross questioning from Elaine Bredehoft. I think we all felt the same level of frustration in the judge's look of disbelief after Mr. Romero had enough of Elaine's repetitive nonsense and sped off, ending his say. It was a disastrous cross examination that will go down in legal history. So, my deep respect to Judge Azcarate and thanks for closing the case with her final ruling, giving full justice for Johnny Depp.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

User avatar
ForeverYoung
Posts: 1976
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:25 pm
Status: Offline

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:54 pm

I liked all of JD's legal team but especially Wayne Dennison. He was the expert cross exam attorney. He was a take no BS guy and I liked his approach.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

AdeleAgain
Posts: 1197
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 8:06 am
Status: Offline

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:31 pm

ForeverYoung wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:54 pm
I liked all of JD's legal team but especially Wayne Dennison. He was the expert cross exam attorney. He was a take no BS guy and I liked his approach.
That's so interesting because I found Wayne difficult to listen to - something about his delivery and his "alright - let's try this" ..... but I did think he got that crazy psychiatrist well and truly health with.

It was Camille all the way for me. I suspect AH has never been spoken to in a sustained way like that in her life, and certainly not by a women more beautiful. I have re-watched so many times - there are moments AH is having to restrain herself from jumping over the panelling and thumping Camille.

I also thought Jessica (was it Jessica) who was such a good tie up cross examining JD. Her gentle voice matched his so well.

Ben was like the mastermind - also if you have time on a rainy afternoon - just sit and watch Ben's reactions. That man could not play poker - but the jury probably saw it all and shared his sentiments. They were a great team and it is lovely to see some of them having vacation time in Europe watching JD play.

So 11 days to go.

User avatar
ForeverYoung
Posts: 1976
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:25 pm
Status: Offline

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:51 pm

AdeleAgain wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:31 pm
ForeverYoung wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:54 pm
I liked all of JD's legal team but especially Wayne Dennison. He was the expert cross exam attorney. He was a take no BS guy and I liked his approach.
That's so interesting because I found Wayne difficult to listen to - something about his delivery and his "alright - let's try this" ..... but I did think he got that crazy psychiatrist well and truly health with.

It was Camille all the way for me. I suspect AH has never been spoken to in a sustained way like that in her life, and certainly not by a women more beautiful. I have re-watched so many times - there are moments AH is having to restrain herself from jumping over the panelling and thumping Camille.

I also thought Jessica (was it Jessica) who was such a good tie up cross examining JD. Her gentle voice matched his so well.

Ben was like the mastermind - also if you have time on a rainy afternoon - just sit and watch Ben's reactions. That man could not play poker - but the jury probably saw it all and shared his sentiments. They were a great team and it is lovely to see some of them having vacation time in Europe watching JD play.

So 11 days to go.
I also commend the firm's legal staff back at the office. I know how busy, time consuming and nerve wracking preparing for a trial can be and also many late hours meeting deadlines because I have been there myself. Unfortunately, most of these people never get congrats or thanks from the clients. The thank you cards, gifts, luncheons, etc are usually only for the attorneys. We know it is our jobs but it is disappointing sometimes not to be included in the celebrations. On the otherhand, it's rewarding to be part of a win in court, even though we are not physically there and I am sure JD's team is still celebrating. It is a really big win for all of them.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

Inquiring Minds
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:41 pm
Status: Offline

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Inquiring Minds » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:09 pm

ForeverYoung wrote:
I liked all of JD's legal team but especially Wayne Dennison. He was the expert cross exam attorney. He was a take no BS guy and I liked his approach.
I tend to agree, and was disappointed to see he was not that well received by others. But AdeleAgain has made some very astute points. Legalbytes lawyers commented that TeamDepp ensured that all the junior lawyers had a chance to shine. Ben certainly oversaw the whole case very well.

I liked the way Wayne handled the "reactive violence" trope with his retort - "What about the second bottle?". When going cross on Hughes he asked her if she had ever defended a male victim. She responded "yes", which threw him for (just) a second until it was resolved that it had still involved a male perpetrator. I really didn't like Hughes and a little googling after convinced me my gut feelings were probably justified.

As AdeleAgain pointed out, Chew was great as first chair, but Camille really stood out. Other lawyers have observed that she delivered a classic, textbook cross-examination (which was in such contrast to TeamHeard). Elaine really lost control of witnesses - Isaac ran circles around her imo. I think this trial will spawn many books and formal commentaries. Looking back, we find scandals from the Roman Empire documented in trial documents from the time, translated from Latin and carried through to present day (no longer as legal arguments however). Amber's lies will be remembered for thousands of years imo. And Johnny vanquishing his abuser will stand above it all.

Unfortunately, with any trial with a female "victim" and a male perpetrator, a man can never be used to cross examine. They either go soft (to prevent appearing as a bully) or go hard and present to any judge or jury as bullying the victim. Its a no win situation. Whilst Laws did a great job against Wass, we never got to see how Sherbourne would have done. Likewise, Camille wiped the floor with Amber, but we have no idea how Ben or Wayne would have compared. It made no difference in VA but it may have in the UK or other unrelated trials.

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 31853
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha
Status: Offline

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by nebraska » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:50 pm

I found Wayne Dennison difficult to listen to because his speech pattern was so halting. I suspect he struggled with a stutter or speech impediment of some sort, which would be a difficult thing to overcome in the legal profession where strong speech is needed. The fact that he is a partner, and Ben Chew trusted him with such important parts of the examinations and cross examinations, spoke volumes about his intelligence and ability. I am glad to hear so many of you praise his work.

Inquiring Minds
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:41 pm
Status: Offline

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Inquiring Minds » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:50 am

nebraska wrote:
I found Wayne Dennison difficult to listen to because his speech pattern was so halting. I suspect he struggled with a stutter or speech impediment of some sort, which would be a difficult thing to overcome in the legal profession where strong speech is needed. The fact that he is a partner, and Ben Chew trusted him with such important parts of the examinations and cross examinations, spoke volumes about his intelligence and ability. I am glad to hear so many of you praise his work.
I noticed that too, right from the start. One of the lawyers on the stream I was watching noted that it was a stutter (or impediment of some sort), so I started listening to him a bit closer (figuring like you that he wouldn't be at that level unless he knew his stuff). By the end, I was pretty impressed. More like steady erosion rather than storm damage. Having said that, Ben was great (remember that bit in the mid-trial motion to dismiss where he pointed to Amber?). But Camille won my heart. To make partner, Camille must have had input into the case, not just fulfilled the role of a barrister turning up for the cross then leaving. When Ben leaves, I hope she is mentored further and rapidly progresses to senior partner. A lot will probably depend on the cases she takes on in future. I have no respect for lawyers like Marty Singer or Roberta Kaplan but I think Camille has more moral integrity to be on their trajectory. She may also turn her hand to politics - and that would be something to watch!

AdeleAgain
Posts: 1197
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 8:06 am
Status: Offline

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:20 pm

I think the thing that made Camille so awesome against Amber in cross examination was that she spoke with the voice that Johnny never could - perhaps said better she questioned AH with all the fury and passion JD and his family, friends and supporters felt.

I should have said the other thing Wayne D did was prep JD for Rottenborn. And Johnny was a fantastic witness. Although probably a bit more snarky than he should have been the jury clearly sympathised. JD was sufficiently confident of his testimony and himself that he went back up for another although - whilst you can never be too conspiratorial I wonder if he went back to goad Amber into another disastrous cross. AH was JD's single best asset in the trial,

User avatar
Lbock
Posts: 1673
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 4:43 pm
Status: Offline

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:47 pm

Just completed a Youtube Live Stream about Amber Heard's two insurance companies suing each other. Travelers Agent, Pamela Johnson, is trying to take credit for disqualifying Gina Deuters.
The video is up for replay and I have added timestamps for various documents, video, etc.

**Incorrect video removed per Lbock's request. See correct video posted below.
~Joni