The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Larkwoodgirl

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Larkwoodgirl » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:00 pm

Lbock wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:14 pm
I wonder when Kaplan will realize AH and her friends really don't have any proof about the abuse.
Probably right after she gets paid.
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

Lbock

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:15 pm

Larkwoodgirl wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:00 pm
Lbock wrote:
I wonder when Kaplan will realize AH and her friends really don't have any proof about the abuse.
Assuming all these groups aren't doing this pro bono for media attention, or the ACLU paying for her. ACLU has allot to loose if their Ambassador is proven to be the "Emperor with no clothes"....lying.

justintime

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by justintime » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:08 pm

WOW! A well-written, informative article about the Depp/Bloom settlement yesterday. I haven’t read anything in Forbes for a long time, now, due to the arrogance and extreme personal bias Scott Mendelson brought to every piece he wrote in the entertainment section, especially anything to do with JD. This is totally different. Mr. Sullivan is straight forward, clear, and includes some interesting insights on the settlement’s potentially positive, future application to lawyer/artist relationships in the office, as well as in the courtroom.

One note: I had to copy and paste it in full here (minus the lovely pic of Johnny) as I could not get the “link” to “find” the page on the Forbes website.

FORBES
Johnny Depp Settles Lawsuit With Former Attorney Jake Bloom For Eight Figures

Legal Entertainment
Legal Entertainment Contributor
Hollywood & Entertainment

Contributing author: Bryan Sullivan

A month before the scheduled trial date, Johnny Depp and Jake Bloom have settled their contentious legal battle. In October 2017, Depp sued Bloom, founder of the now closed Bloom Hergott law firm, alleging that Bloom improperly collected over $30 million as a result of an oral contract that the two had made. Bloom countersued on the basis that Depp had still not fully paid his Bloom Hergott invoices.

Despite the argument made by Bloom’s attorneys that the agreement was not a contingency agreement, Judge Terry Green ruled in favor of Depp, stating that the agreement was void because it was not in writing. More than a year after Judge Green’s ruling in August 2018, Bloom Hergott paid out an undisclosed eight-figure sum to Depp.

Responding to news about the settlement, Bryan Freedman, representing Bloom Hergott, issued the following statement:

“The former law firm of Bloom Hergott, with the help of its insurance carrier, has favorably settled the litigation with Johnny Depp for a fraction of his original demand. While the firm was confident it would prevail at trial, we are nonetheless pleased with this resolution as it expedites the firm’s winding down process and allows it to get off the endless Johnny Depp litigation train.”

Adam Waldman, Depp’s attorney, had a different view on the settlement.

“Today, Bloom Hergott provided Johnny Depp an 8-figure payment to settle Mr. Depp’s lawsuit against the firm for fraud, conflict of interest, disgorgement of over $30 million in voidable fees and other malfeasance that they engaged in over nearly two decades.” He added “They are correct that 8 figures is a fraction of 9 figures.”

This high-profile case is likely to have major implications for dealmaking in the entertainment industry. While so-called “handshake agreements,” “oral agreements,” and “deal memos” are commonplace in the world of transactional entertainment, there will most likely be a shift towards longer form, written contracts, especially between transactional entertainment attorneys and talent, moving forward.

Entertainment attorneys often adhere to “industry standard” when making deals with clients, however this case should be a wakeup call to lawyers who, in any other instance, paper deals using “long form” contracts that serve to protect both parties and reduce the chance of litigation.

Judges must charge juries on the law. As such, a written agreement between the parties would make either the court or a jury’s finding easier and more precise.

Bryan Sullivan, Partner at Early Sullivan Wright Gizer & McRae, advises and represents his clients as a legal strategist in all their business affairs. He has significant experience on the litigation and appeals side of the practice, as well as with entertainment and intellectual property contracts, investment and financing agreements, and corporate structure documents on the dealmaking side.
Last edited by justintime on Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Chocolat

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Chocolat » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:10 pm

Larkwoodgirl wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:00 pm
Lbock wrote:
I can't imagine how Kaplan and company don't realize that Heard is making it all up as she goes along. They're in so deep now that it's tricky....turn around or move forward with spinning the lie every which way. With Johnny's recent legal win, they've hit a brick wall.
I bet they're regrouping once again, shuffling and tossing out more smear garbage until they feel they have something substantial to use, or they go with what they have and hope for the best. That said, this is the question, don't they realize how ridiculous they look?
A jury surely will.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

Lbock

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:58 pm

I think they realize. That’s why they are bringing in every one possible to get it dismissed. It’s their only chance

RumLover

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by RumLover » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:06 pm

When considering how stupid or ignorant is Kaplan, I remember that she spoke in court about Amber and a machete which showed she had mixed up reality show Amber Portwood with her client, Amber Heard.
So clueless when she took the case.
I have to think she is there because some of the following; someone paid a large retainer; told her it was a high profile case and she would be quoted; said it would negatively affect donations to a cause if case lost; told her she would get to bring down a famous man.

Chocolat

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Chocolat » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:28 pm

So, we're all in agreement then, that when Kaplan took the case, her sole objective was to make a name for herself.
She dove in blind, without knowing who Amber Heard was and with no background research on the woman, was taken in by her lies.
Kaplan had just come off the Weinstein case and was already primed to work dirty. Makes a lot of sense to me.
Observing the way Adam Waldman works, he's wise to their smear tactics and already is many steps ahead in this complicated chess game. I"m confident in his strategy.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

Lbock

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:42 pm

They’ve brought in powerful groups including Kaplan with ACLU and VPA. These are not ignorant people. Just a quick shuffle. But they have their footing now Do not under estimate them. This are powered by large groups to get this dismissed. ACLU and UN And a Elon Musk maybe. Friday next week so important!

ForeverYoung

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:55 pm

Let's not forget that Amber has no real evidence to prove anything. None of her pics have any dates and time stamps which is a big downfall for her and Johnny has tons of witnesses,videos and testimony which prove she lied about her claims. She talks about payoffs but I wonder how much she is paying these organizations to get involved in this case.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

justintime

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by justintime » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:44 am

I honestly don’t think Kaplan cares one fig about AH’s “strategy”, preferences, or if she stays on set in Canada. Kaplan entered the courtroom on day one with her pedigree in tow, carefully tucked beneath a rather obsequious, chatty opening. She came off as a fool: she’d done not an ounce of due diligence and her condescending NY remarks didn’t impress the VA elite. Or anyone else, for that matter. And then the “blackmail” shocker that kind of woke everyone up. It was allowed to slide by - disturbingly, no admonition from the bench. That was then, already a little rustling with the ACLU just politely knocking on the door.

It takes one to know one - and Kaplan saw AH for what she is right from the start: a one trick pony. Lie and smear, lie and smear, lie and smear... Didn’t matter to Kaplan, that’s apparently her forte as well, in addition to much more. Whatever else she is or isn’t, Kaplan has managed to manipulate the media and use the legal system to position her client to exactly where she wanted her: awaiting her third/last(?) dismissal decision. Everything now hinges on the Judge rejecting this last dismissal request: for Johnny, it’s go forward or go home. Just typing that makes my stomach lurch.

What’s going to make or break the bank? Unfortunately, same thing as last time - the parties’ arguments - with two exceptions:
1) The undeniable, but as yet unquantifiable, influence, money, and power of all those third parties. Lbock, your words of caution are riveting. Is it foolhardy to believe Johnny even has a prayer of prevailing? I can only envision a level playing field if, somehow, Johnny’s side has some unknown moderating factor. I can think of only one: the Judge. The Judge has to be his own man. So far he’s declined to address an obvious impropriety on day one, and since then made a devastating ruling re: protected documents and records that is already threatening to grind proceedings to a halt with its excessive reach. Just an observation. I sincerely hope I’m way off base.

2) With the TMG and Bloom suits now behind Johnny, Kaplan knows for certain one thing she’d probably been carelessly ignoring or relying on AH to debunk: the man has courage, is also relentless, and tells the truth. So whatever angle the Defense pursues at the November 8th Hearing, they’re going to have to take an apparently novel approach for both Kaplan and AH: stick as close to the truth as they dare. Dangerous territory for them, particularly since AH has been lying all along to her own team. SHE HAS NO ADMISSIBLE EVIDENCE! Anything she’s shown Kaplan was either doctored/edited, in need of same, or lacking metadata. Although I shudder to think of the lengths to which Kaplan will go during a trial - she’s already narrowly skirted around every verbal offense possible without apology or repercussions - I believe she will be, at the least, equally amoral and ruthless to try to avoid a trial in the first place.
"Stay low." ~ JD

Lbock

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:47 am

I’ll be glad when next week is over and hope the judge sees at this point so much discovery has been and will be done by Nov 22 the judge won’t dismiss it out right. I expect a Plea in a bar will be allowed 🤷🏻‍♀️

Re the Iggy Pop concert, an eye witness account:
From twitter regarding Jane Foe lawsuit

ForeverYoung

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:08 am

For me, this is not a case of winning or loosing for Johnny. It's about exposing the truth and saving his good name. So far I think his team has done a good job in showing that. A lot of comments on other sites are people coming back over the fence who believed her once but they don't believe her anymore.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

justintime

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by justintime » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:11 am

ForeverYoung wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:08 am
For me, this is not a case of winning or loosing for Johnny.
I agree! However, whether or not the truth will ever actually have a chance of being exposed in full and the degree to which his good name is saved/restored are indeed dependent (imho) on Johnny being perceived globally as “the winner”. They have been and will forever be inextricably intertwined.

Even now, as word spreads, more and more media sources are structuring/restructuring their coverage of the Bloom settlement into a more balanced presentation. For example:

"Stay low." ~ JD

Lbock

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:17 am

justintime wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:11 am

I agree! However, whether or not the truth will ever actually have a chance of being exposed in full and the degree to which his good name is saved/restored are indeed dependent (imho) on Johnny being perceived globally as “the winner”. They have been and will forever be inextricably intertwined.

Even now, as word spreads, more and more media sources are structuring/restructuring their coverage of the Bloom settlement into a more balanced presentation. For example:

As for how much that settlement was, Bryan Freedman, who represented Bloom’s firm, Bloom Hergott, told Variety the payment was a “fraction” of the $30 million that Depp had originally sought.
I believe that is false statement. Bloom attorney didn’t say that. Adam inferred the total they were seeking all in was $100M. The suit wasn’t just for the $30M in fees.

Bloom was still fighting to not provide discovery. I’m sure Johnny did very well in this. Now let’s see what they provide AH

justintime

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by justintime » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:30 pm

Lbock wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:17 am
justintime wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:11 am
ForeverYoung wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:08 am
For me, this is not a case of winning or loosing for Johnny. It's about exposing the truth and saving his good name. So far I think his team has done a good job in showing that. A lot of comments on other sites are people coming back over the fence who believed her once but they don't believe her anymore.

As for how much that settlement was, Bryan Freedman, who represented Bloom’s firm, Bloom Hergott, told Variety the payment was a “fraction” of the $30 million that Depp had originally sought.
I believe that is false statement. Bloom attorney didn’t say that. Adam inferred the total they were seeking all in was $100M. The suit wasn’t just for the $30M in fees.

Bloom was still fighting to not provide discovery. I’m sure Johnny did very well in this. Now let’s see what they provide AH
He, he! Again, Mr. Freedman’s “fraction” reference - you’re right, Lbock, false statement for sure. Followed by the rest of Bloom’s team’s quote.

What I found refreshing, though, was the structure or arrangement of the rest of the article allowed the reader to be left with some deservedly sleazy visuals:

- Bloom/Hergott “... avoided the shame of evidence in a public trial.”

- again, Mr. Waldman’s cleverly instructive/corrective quip is strategically quoted: “...eight figures is a fraction of nine figures.”

- and choosing to close the whole piece by leaving an image in the reader’s mind of Jacob Bloom and Alan Hergott slinking off into retirement leaving “remaining partners” to do as they are able with the disgraced rubble of a renamed firm.
"Stay low." ~ JD