The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
jruoss

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by jruoss » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Ruby Begonia wrote:London Fields is supposed to be releasing soon
You don't say? That situation seemed to be a hopeless mess, I'm pretty surprised it's going to be released? I guess whoever invested in it wants to get some of their money back, but at this point, seeing Johnny in the same movie w AH and Billy Bob Thorton would be thoroughly weird I think.
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:44 pm

Chocolat wrote:....her current L'Oreal mention pic, "advertising" L'Oreal's new makeup line, Les Chocolats.
Must have been extra- annoying for you, "Chocolat"! :freaked:

I was horrified to find out L'Oreal had hired her since I USED TO buy some of their cosmetics and sulfate- free hair products. The Guess label is also a turnoff due to her past representation of it (which was thanks to JD, of course).

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:16 pm

jruoss wrote:
Ruby Begonia wrote:London Fields is supposed to be releasing soon
You don't say? That situation seemed to be a hopeless mess, I'm pretty surprised it's going to be released? I guess whoever invested in it wants to get some of their money back, but at this point, seeing Johnny in the same movie w AH and Billy Bob Thorton would be thoroughly weird I think.
:cheers: jruoss. IMDB shows a Sep 20, 2018 release date and, back in June, the Shockya website had a ticket giveaway contest. I wasn't able to find tickets on Fandango as of today, so who knows?

Do any legal minds here know if the studio could release the film if the suits and countersuits are still being litigated? Last info I saw was an article on The Blast back in Feb 2018 that Amber was sanctioned approx $7,000 by the court for avoiding giving her deposition.

The 2015 cut of London Fields is at 0% with 11 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. :lol: Some of the reviews are funny but scathing. The last one by The Independent calls the film " car- crash filmmaking" and that all the performances are terrible except the good one by Johnny, who is uncredited. Johnny was also doing this film for free, l believe. Since Johnny doesn't stand to profit from London Fields, this will be the first Depp film I will have no problem skipping should it ever appear in a theater.

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:36 am

Curious question, but maybe a bit off topic :blush:
When a newspaper "obtain" court documents, what does that usually means? Can anybody (or just journalists) read any court documents pertaining to any case? Or have they got access in a more underhanded manner?
I am of course delighted, that we can read, what Johnny is stating. But it just made me curious.

Judymac

Unread post by Judymac » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:07 am

SnoopyDances wrote:
Judymac wrote:There has been a long period of time between the filming of Aquaman and the upcoming release. AH has been forgotton. She needs attention and this is her way of getting it.
She was at Comic Con with the rest of the Aquaman cast.
The Aquaman panel was held shortly after the FB panel with Johnny.
I know that but that was very recently. My point was that she has not been getting the attention that she craves. I meant in general over a long period of time.

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:48 pm

Judymac wrote:
SnoopyDances wrote:
Judymac wrote:There has been a long period of time between the filming of Aquaman and the upcoming release. AH has been forgotton. She needs attention and this is her way of getting it.
She was at Comic Con with the rest of the Aquaman cast.
The Aquaman panel was held shortly after the FB panel with Johnny.
I know that but that was very recently. My point was that she has not been getting the attention that she craves. I meant in general over a long period of time.
She can manufacture her attention when she wants to. :bigwink:

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:03 pm

meeps wrote:Curious question, but maybe a bit off topic :blush:
When a newspaper "obtain" court documents, what does that usually means? Can anybody (or just journalists) read any court documents pertaining to any case? Or have they got access in a more underhanded manner?
I am of course delighted, that we can read, what Johnny is stating. But it just made me curious.
In the States, most court records are public domain and can be obtained by just about anyone. There are several websites available. Sometimes there is a fee, sometimes not, depending on the information being obtained.

Criminal cases might be sealed, but most are not. Juveniles convicted of a crime have sealed records, but parts of that could become public if the juvenile continues to commit crimes as an adult or if he/she commits murder or some other highly publicized crime.

Rape/sexual abuse victims may remain anonymous unless they choose to go public or the crime/case is already public before knowledge of a sexual offence has occurred (such as a child abduction). The court records can still be obtained with a "Jane Doe" or some other name used for the victim(s).

Civil court cases, such as Johnny's divorce, can be sealed. But when the cases are filed, the court documents are in public domain, it's the ruling/evidence/testimony that may get sealed at a later time.

► Show Spoiler

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:53 pm

Thanks SnoopyDances.
I was confused about how Johnny's statement was obtained for publication.
I was under the impression that it was part of the sealed documents.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

jruoss

Unread post by jruoss » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Ruby Begonia wrote: The 2015 cut of London Fields is at 0% with 11 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. :lol: Some of the reviews are funny but scathing. The last one by The Independent calls the film " car- crash filmmaking" and that all the performances are terrible except the good one by Johnny, who is uncredited. Johnny was also doing this film for free, l believe. Since Johnny doesn't stand to profit from London Fields, this will be the first Depp film I will have no problem skipping should it ever appear in a theater.
Well I know I'm off the lawsuit topic here, but in the context of everything that happened with AH, and how generally shaky London Fields sounds, and the notion that Johnny only did a bit part for free, it'd probably be better if it never does get an official release... Unfortunately that's not going to erase AH from The Rum Diary... :rolleyes:
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:15 pm

Chocolat wrote:Thanks SnoopyDances.
I assume his statements from the sealed divorce case have been used in the Sun case as part of the initial filing or as part of his deposition, thus unsealing that part of the case. :spin:

I could be totally wrong, too. :lol:

Ragdoll

Unread post by Ragdoll » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:04 am

SnoopyDances wrote:
Chocolat wrote:Thanks SnoopyDances.
I assume his statements from the sealed divorce case have been used in the Sun case as part of the initial filing or as part of his deposition, thus unsealing that part of the case. :spin:

I could be totally wrong, too. :lol:
Is that the whole point of the court case then? ;)

I wonder if anything else will come out that will help prove his innocence

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:55 am

Yes, thanks a billion for that explanation, Snoopy :airkiss2:
But does anybody knows, if the U.K. has the same rules for access to court documents?

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:38 pm

meeps wrote:Yes, thanks a billion for that explanation, Snoopy :airkiss2:
But does anybody knows, if the U.K. has the same rules for access to court documents?
Not sure how much of this applies to Johnny's case, but this is what I found on the UK side.

The Civil Procedure Rules
CPR 5.4C allows certain documents filed at court to be accessed by non-parties (ie. those not involved in the proceedings). Whether a request requires the court's permission or not will depend on the type of document that the non-party is seeking to obtain.

CPR 5.4C(1) entitles non-parties to access statements of case (eg. Particulars of Claim, Defences and Replies) without the permission of the court. However, a party to the proceedings or any person identified may apply for an order restricting access (CPR 5.4C(4)) to documents. Such applications are usually made where the documents to be filed contain sensitive or confidential information.

Access to documents other than statements of case is governed by CPR 5.4C(2), which entitles a non-party to obtain a copy of any other document filed by a party or communications between the court and a party or another person, only with the permission of the court. As such, any documents filed on the record of the court fall within the scope of CPR 5.4C(2).

Documents filed on the record of the court and which are read, or treated as read, are subject to a default position in favour of the principle of open justice where the applicant requesting them has a legitimate interest. The Court must balance this principle against any harm that may arise to other parties' legitimate interests when deciding whether to grant permission for that document to be accessed.

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Thank you ever so much for finding that for us :smiliewithhearts: :smiliewithhearts: So under certain circumstances the newspapers can get access quite legally ... Great :biggrin:

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:44 pm

Does anyone know if the actual court/trial date for the Depp v. The Sun (?) lawsuit has been set? There’s so much flying around, it would have one believe the trial has come and gone. Has it? If so, when was it? What is it that Johnny has “won”? Everything and then some, if I had my wish . . .

I’m very confused at this point. Seems we have a long way to go in resolving this suit (not to mention the Bloom suit, the nuisance suit with the bodyguards, and the COL location manager suit!) all with September 7th (City of Lies premier in NY) fast approaching.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot