The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
User avatar
Lbock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 4:43 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Fri May 26, 2017 6:57 pm



Johnny Depp ally doesn’t really know him and lied on her résumé
By Claire Atkinson May 26, 2017 | 5:33pmpagesix


The woman who sided with Johnny Depp in the actor’s long-running legal battle against his former managers lied on her résumé and exaggerated the extent that she knows the “Pirates of the Caribbean” actor, court papers unsealed on Friday revealed.

Janine Rayburn, a former employee at The Management Group (TMG) turned possible whistleblower, has said the agency kept Depp in the dark about his alleged financial problems — and that the actor would have avoided getting into such financial straits if it had leveled with him.

But under questioning, Rayburn admits she doesn’t know Depp and only met him for two seconds at a holiday party, and therefore doesn’t know if he would have slowed his spending if TMG had alerted him.

Depp, who stars in Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales,” owns 14 homes around the globe and allegedly spends $30,000 a month on wine as part of a posh lifestyle that became unsupportable.

TMG loaned Depp money to cover his costs, it said.

“You don’t know anything about him as a person, do you?” TMG’s lawyers asked her, according to the transcript of the deposition unsealed.

“I do not,” she replied.

“You don’t know whether or not he has a compulsion — compulsive spending habit, do you?”

“I do not,” she said.

After Depp sued TMG for $25 million, claiming the agency ripped him off, his ex-managers returned fire, denying the allegations and claiming Depp needs to see a shrink for a “compulsive spending” habit.

The woman, who worked at TMG for two years, provided some support to back up Depp’s contention that TMG cheated him. For example, she was asked to notarize a document that had Depp’s signature on it, without the actor being present.

“I said I didn’t feel comfortable doing it,” she said in the deposition. TMG lawyers claim there is no evidence to support her claim.

Depp’s lawyers want to amend their $25 million lawsuit to include Rayburn’s evidence. TMG is fighting the move, claiming she violated her nondisclosure agreement in talking to Depp’s legal eagles.

TMG also fought to keep the deposition under seal, saying Rayburn’s alleged lies could hurt its reputation.

Rayburn’s admission that she exaggerated her Depp relationship and lied on her résumé could undercut her credibility.

Adam Waldman, Depp’s lawyer who conducted the deposition, hit back on Friday, telling The Post that Rayburn managed Depp’s day-to-day affairs as an account manager.

“Having failed to conceal from the public whistleblower testimony that reveals some of the egregious misconduct [Joel] Mandel [a TMG partner, as is his brother Rob] asked her to commit on Mr. Depp’s account, the Mandels now predictably focus their efforts on smearing their former employee, just as they have attempted to smear Mr Depp.”

Depp’s lawyer continued: “The Mandels’ ‘everyone is lying’ defense in this fraud case is crumbling under the mounting body of evidence coming from multiple directions — whistleblowers, forensic accountants, lawyers and tax experts.”

The California celebrity management firm said in an e-mailed statement “Rayburn only worked at TMG for a brief time and was fired seven years ago. Rayburn fully admitted that she has no idea what conversations took place between Depp and TMG regarding Depp’s financial situation. We welcome the opportunity to further question Ms. Rayburn in court, exposing her many lies.”

In court documents filed on May 5, TMG lawyers suggest Rayburn lied “at least 12 times.”

In the deposition, Rayburn admitted that she doesn’t have a business degree from California State University, Northridge, something she fudged on her resume. She also admitted to a personal bankruptcy after her husband lost his job.

In unsealing the documents, the court judgment read: “It is not appropriate for the Court to seal any allegation that a party argues is false or misleading.”

User avatar
Lbock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 4:43 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Wed May 31, 2017 8:19 am



Johnny Depp's "Whistleblower" Says She Was Told Not to Question His Sister's Spending

MAY 30, 2017 7:40pm PT by Ashley Cullins
The Hollywood Reporter

Testimony of an ex-TMG account manager is made public, as that of Depp's former agent and lawyer remain a point of contention.

Johnny Depp's already ugly legal battle with his former business managers is getting even more personal, as newly unsealed deposition testimony alleges The Management Group kept him in the dark about his finances and claims the star's sister spent his money unchecked because his business manager was afraid of her.

Depp sued in January claiming TMG, and its principals Joel and Robert Mandel, treated his money as their own and cost him millions. The Mandels countersued claiming Depp knew he was short of funds but continued to spend at a breakneck pace.

Ex-TMG employee Janine Rayburn says she believes the actor didn't know the state of his finances — and the court on Friday gave Depp the green light to amend his lawsuit against to include claims arising from her testimony. The court also ruled that the transcript of her March 2 deposition should be public.

TMG fought to keep those claims under seal, citing a confidentiality agreement and claiming the woman lied under oath. L.A. Superior Court judge Teresa Beaudet found that contesting what is the truth is the very heart of litigation and keeping all such arguments confidential is not in the public interest.

Rayburn was an account manager at TMG from mid-2008 through the end of 2010, and handled the day-to-day business for eight clients including Depp. She says her job entailed processing bills, depositing checks, recording investments and meeting other client needs. "I do not believe that Johnny was aware of his financial situation," Rayburn testified. "To my knowledge, financial statements were not sent to him."

When cross-examined by TMG’s attorney Michael Kump, Rayburn testified that she did not work on the team that prepared any cash flow analysis documents or budgets and did not have personal knowledge as to whether they were sent to him.

"The Court’s unsealing of whistleblower testimony and the handwritten notes she took in 2010, both of which the Mandels sought to block from public view, reveal a stew of unethical and illegal acts," Depp's attorney Adam Waldman tells The Hollywood Reporter. "These acts include Joel Mandel’s instructions to the whistleblower, who served as Mr. Depp’s account manager for two and a half years, to falsely notarize 'fake' documents and to alter numbers in his financial statements, all of which instructions she repeatedly refused."

She claims one of those instructions was to notarize Depp's signature on a document when he wasn't present. "I have no idea what the transaction was for," she said during her deposition. "It was only the signature pages, so I couldn't tell."

Rayburn claims her refusal to commit those acts and her questions about the handling of Depp's account got her fired, although at the time she was told it was because she "wasn't a good fit." Her severance agreement shows she was paid $40,000, she agreed to not divulge confidential information and the parties agreed to not disparage each another.

TMG maintains that Rayburn is a "serial liar" who is disgruntled about her firing. "Under cross-examination, Janine Rayburn fully admitted that she was not part of the team at TMG that created Depp’s financial statements and that she has absolutely no personal knowledge regarding what TMG told Depp about his finances," says attorney Michael Kump. "Depp’s reliance on Rayburn’s highly speculative statements is ridiculous. Indeed, the one conversation Rayburn claims to have overheard while at TMG confirms that Depp and his closest advisors have been discussing Depp’s tremendous spending problems for at least a decade."

Rayburn says she had a feeling she was going to be fired, so she she made notes about things she thought were "odd" with plans to tell Robert Mandel and Howard Leiter about her concerns. In her notes, she calls the former an "idiot" and says he didn't believe her.

Also in those handwritten notes, entered as an exhibit, Rayburn calls Depp's sister Christi Dembrowski a "nasty bitch" and says Mandel did whatever she wanted because he was afraid of her. Dembrowski runs her brother's production company and brought TMG to him in the late '90s, as part of a short list of other potential business managers for him to interview.

Rayburn claims the company was using Depp's money to pay for Dembrowski's personal expenses — including her daughter's wedding, trips and a new pool — without express permission from the star. She says she asked Dembrowski about the spending on two occasions and "her response was, he’s my brother. My money is his money. His money is mine.” (Dembrowksi's attorney Dylan Ruga did not immediately respond to a request for comment.)

Waldman says Rayburn's claims are more than just one half of a he-said-she-said equation.

"Mr. Depp’s forensic accountants Edward White & Co., and Miriam Fisher, head of the tax department at Latham & Watkins, have independently verified many of the whistleblower’s most damning allegations," he says. "One is that Joel Mandel apparently altered financial statements before they were submitted to banks. The Mandels’ purpose in securing over $75 million in bank loans in Mr. Depp’s name was to use the loans to pay themselves and Mr. Depp’s entertainment lawyer over $70 million in improper contingent fees and to shovel out nearly $10 million to third parties as sham 'loans' without Mr. Depp’s knowledge."

"The idea that Johnny Depp borrowed one cent to pay TMG or his entertainment lawyer, Jake Bloom, without his knowledge is libelous and beyond outrageously false," says Kump. "At trial, Depp will be proven to be a liar and a fraud."

Further, a TMG spokesman called claims that Mandel was afraid to defy Dembrowski "absurd" and questioned why Depp would want Rayburn's testimony to be public while fighting that of his former reps. "It's more than ironic that Johnny Depp and his attorneys are relying on the testimony of a low-level employee who lied numerous times but filed motions late Friday to quash testimony from two of Depp's closest advisors and critical witnesses in the case, Jake Bloom and UTA's Tracy Jacobs."

Waldman says that argument is irrelevant. "We would not stop anyone from testifying in this fraud case," he says. "The suggestion that a common motion to limit an overbroad subpoena request bears any resemblance to the Mandels' failed attempts to muzzle and then hide a whistleblower's testimony regarding their illegal conduct is absurd."

Depp unceremoniously ended his relationship with TMG in 2016, shortly after the firm advised him to start liquidating real estate assets to pay his bills. He then hired White, who discovered the alleged misconduct while reviewing the actor's finances.

Depp claims TMG cost him $8 million in unnecessary tax penalties and fees, loaned without permission $10 million of his money to parties close to him, secured a $12.5 million hard money loan with his residuals and failed to repay itself for a $5 million bridge loan it issued without his knowledge, which triggered non-judicial foreclosure proceedings on his Hollywood Hills home. While TMG maintains it did everything it could to keep the star financially afloat and Depp was aware of the situation.

It's too early to definitively say how Beaudet will handle this case, but her recent decision favoring transparency is a strong indication that much of what plays out leading up to the 2018 trial will be public.

User avatar
brunasouzota
Posts: 779
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:06 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by brunasouzota » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:08 pm

Christie bitch :-O :smh:? :no2: This make no sense. :perplexed3: Johnny is so generous to all around him, he gave a studio for Bruce Witkin who are a friend of him, so why Johnny wouldn't give a pool for his beloved sister and money for a marriage party for his niece? I believe that Christie is honest, but I don' t think Rayburn is a liar, because all people and she know it's no good lie about power people. Maybe there is something more that she and we don't know, because after all there is a crime against Johnny. :grr:
:heart4: Johnny is my life forever. :kiss: :hug2: :twohearts:

User avatar
Lbock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 4:43 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:11 pm



Johnny Depp's Inner Circle Emails Made Public Amid Legal Fight

JUNE 19, 2017 3:58pm PT by Ashley Cullins

Joel Mandel wants to subpoena Depp's attorney Jake Bloom and his ex-agent Tracey Jacobs.
Johnny Depp's ex-business managers are fighting to subpoena his longtime reps as part of the ongoing dispute over whether the actor knew the dire state of his finances — and have made public emails they say prove their case.

The actor sued Joel Mandel and The Management Group in January, claiming the firm cost him $8 million in unnecessary tax penalties and fees, loaned without permission $10 million of his money to parties close to him, secured a $12.5 million hard money loan with his residuals and failed to repay itself for a $5 million bridge loan it issued without his knowledge. Mandel countersued, claiming Depp was well aware of the situation — and so were his longtime agent Tracey Jacobs and lawyer Jake Bloom, as well as his sister Christi Dembrowski.

Depp's legal team has filed a motion to quash subpoenas to Jacobs and Bloom for communications regarding the actor's finances, arguing that they're overbroad.

TMG says Mandel, Bloom, Jacobs and Dembrowski served as Depp's inner circle and the four acted in concert to protect his financial and business interests — and the information sought in the subpoenas served to the Bloom Hergott attorney and UTA agent are critical to the dispute.

"[E]ach member of the team had numerous individual communications with Depp and each other, which, taken together, will overwhelmingly establish that Depp was always fully informed regarding his financial problems, and of course, always knew that he was borrowing money to afford his extravagant lifestyle," writes attorney Suann MacIsaac in a Monday court filing.

As to Dembrowski, MacIsaac says it's absurd that Depp would try to limit discovery regarding her knowledge. "In an attached email, Dembrowski even describes herself as Depp's 'one stop informational center,' while instructing a TMG employee that all documents sent to Depp for signature must go through her."

In addition to that email, TMG's filing includes several others they say prove the actor was in the loop through his sister.

In a Jan. 25, 2010 email to Dembroski, Mandel writes, "We are almost $4,000,000 overdrawn" and asks Depp's sister to get him to sign loan documents for a $6 million loan. She responds, "was gonna get them to you this afternoon...no worries!"

A 2014 exchange between Dembrowski and Mandel addresses the loan secured by profit participation from five of Depp's films, which the actor says was done without his knowledge.

"I need your help this week to coordinate having J sign that Letter of Intent regarding this new loan," writes Mandel in the email. "More than that, it is critical to us that J understand what he is signing and, either now or very soon, how this loan will impact him moving forward."

Dembrowski writes back, "I don't understand impact moving forward."

Mandel says he would be happy to give a longer explanation but, in short: "[A]s you know we are pledging our primary Disney profit participations. These monies will be required to pay back the loan and will be unavailable to us for a number of years (likely next 4-5 years). These monies have been a significant source of our income, and have sustained us during the periods between new work. Without access to these monies, even greater reductions in spending will be necessary."

TMG argues that evidence supporting that Dembrowski's role as his authorized agent is critical because often "Depp was either unavailable or unwilling to speak with Mandel regarding his finances."

Only one email exchange directly between Depp and Mandel is included. It addresses the actor's need to "take it easy" on spending as well as his $75 million combined pay from The Tourist, the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean film and Dark Shadows. (The full exchange is posted below.)

TMG says Depp is fighting the discovery requests because the evidence will undercut his claim that the firm hid the state of his finances from him.

"Depp wants to deny this discovery because it will establish that TMG did everything within its power to make Depp, and all of his closest advisors, fully aware of Depp's financial condition," writes MacIsaac. "If TMG was trying to hide Depp's finances to cover-up their alleged misconduct, they would not have repeatedly advised Depp's long-term personal lawyer, Jake Bloom, and his longtime agent, Tracey Jacobs, regarding the situation."


There are pictures of emails too.

User avatar
Judymac
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 6:23 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Judymac » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:49 pm

It seems like the Mandels are trying to put the blame on Christi. They tried to trash Johnny and they did not get very far with it and now they are trying to trash his sister. In earlier court documents they stated that Christi was spending Johnny's money. To me that proves the point that Christi/Johnny thought that he had a lot of money and that the Mandels were making wise investments for him. If Johnny thought he had many, many millions of dollars of course he would let his sister have money for a pool or for her daughters wedding. I don't believe that Johnny/Christi really realized just how much of his money was gone. He is Johnny Depp and he has earned many many millions of dollars. Who would expect that so much of it would be gone. In one of the emails Christi seems to be saying that she does not understand what is going on. I do not believe that Chrsti knowingly did anything wrong. She is still working for/with Johnny and actions speak louder than words.

User avatar
ForeverYoung
Posts: 757
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:25 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:03 pm

I don't care what the Mandels say. They took money and paid themselves very well without a signed contract that that is illegal.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

User avatar
Judymac
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 6:23 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Judymac » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:09 pm

ForeverYoung wrote:I don't care what the Mandels say. They took money and paid themselves very well without a signed contract that that is illegal.
I totally agree Forever Young. Now the Mandels are trying to throw the blame on others.

User avatar
Lbock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 4:43 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:47 pm

Deadline pretty much republished article above but included new 109 page document from TMG to get docs and info from Bloom and Tracey


User avatar
Lbock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 4:43 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Hollywood Reporter quoted above has updated last paragraph to include Johnnys lawyer statement:


Depp's attorney Adam Waldman sent The Hollywood Reporter a statement in response to the filing. "The Mandels present emails from a trio of advisors to whom they paid over $100 million of Mr. Depp's earnings without any contracts (in addition to the tens of millions they paid themselves)," writes Waldman. "How exactly do these advisor emails defend or excuse Joel Mandel from allegations of 'bad fakes' of Mr Depp's signature on bank loans, handing out millions of dollars in sham 'loans,' ordering his subordinates to 'alter financial statements' and falsely notarize documents, failure to file taxes on time for 16 straight years costing Mr Depp over $8 million in penalties, sneaking rights for themselves and others to Mr Depp's movie residuals into hard money loan agreements and the litany of additional, specific allegations in this fraud and malfeasance case?"
June 20, 8:30 a.m. Updated with a statement from Depp's attorney.


User avatar
Judymac
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 6:23 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Judymac » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:33 pm

brunasouzota wrote:Christie bitch :-O :smh:? :no2: This make no sense. :perplexed3: Johnny is so generous to all around him, he gave a studio for Bruce Witkin who are a friend of him, so why Johnny wouldn't give a pool for his beloved sister and money for a marriage party for his niece? I believe that Christie is honest, but I don' t think Rayburn is a liar, because all people and she know it's no good lie about power people. Maybe there is something more that she and we don't know, because after all there is a crime against Johnny. :grr:
Maybe TMG was afraid of Christi because they were afraid that she would find out that the Mandels were stealing Johnny's money. They knew as soon as Christi figured out what was going on that they would be in big trouble. I think they were telling her some things about Johnny's finances but they were not telling her enough so she actually understood what was going on.

User avatar
brunasouzota
Posts: 779
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:06 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by brunasouzota » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:48 am

Judymac wrote:
brunasouzota wrote:Christie bitch :-O :smh:? :no2: This make no sense. :perplexed3: Johnny is so generous to all around him, he gave a studio for Bruce Witkin who are a friend of him, so why Johnny wouldn't give a pool for his beloved sister and money for a marriage party for his niece? I believe that Christie is honest, but I don' t think Rayburn is a liar, because all people and she know it's no good lie about power people. Maybe there is something more that she and we don't know, because after all there is a crime against Johnny. :grr:
Maybe TMG was afraid of Christi because they were afraid that she would find out that the Mandels were stealing Johnny's money. They knew as soon as Christi figured out what was going on that they would be in big trouble. I think they were telling her some things about Johnny's finances but they were not telling her enough so she actually understood what was going on.
:girlwave2: I understood your point of view... :bluedaisy:
:heart4: Johnny is my life forever. :kiss: :hug2: :twohearts:

User avatar
Peachy
Posts: 594
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:41 am
Location: Milan, Italy
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Peachy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:37 am

Great article over at the Inquistr. Finally someone making sense of this!
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 163154
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Gilbert's Girl » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:47 am

I'm sure in past years we discussed whether Johnny owned his own plane and I thought it was decided he did not, but chartered one as and when needed.
Also for years Johnny has told interviewers that he has music in his ears while either preparing for a scene or during it, and co stars have also said the same. Thats the origin of the earpeice mystery.

User avatar
sleepy
JDZ Founder
Posts: 6883
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:27 pm
Location: Indian Territory
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by sleepy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:25 pm

He is getting destroyed, online. All this "information" is being taken as fact. It is all over the gossip, entertainment, movie, and just general information sites. I hope the end justifies the means. It is taking a toll on how people perceive him. And we hear little or nothing from him. The fact that he is not involved in any kind of social media, makes him a distant figure. Only his older, long time fans know very much about him. All others, knowing little about him, are much more likely to believe what they are reading.
Funny ol' world, innit?

User avatar
Lbock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 4:43 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:44 pm

sleepy wrote:He is getting destroyed, online. All this "information" is being taken as fact. It is all over the gossip, entertainment, movie, and just general information sites. I hope the end justifies the means. It is taking a toll on how people perceive him. And we hear little or nothing from him. The fact that he is not involved in any kind of social media, makes him a distant figure. Only his older, long time fans know very much about him. All others, knowing little about him, are much more likely to believe what they are reading.
His lawyers issued a response. Johnny probably needs to stay out of this and concentrate on work. He's hired good people hopefully, and time will tell.