The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
User avatar
rinda
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:26 pm
Location: Pittsburgh
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by rinda » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:14 pm

I agree, the main issue here is Fraud, not how Johnny wants to spend the money that he, and he alone, earned.

The Depp Conundrum argues that people should be more aware of what happens with their money, rather than just believing what their financial advisors/business managers tell them. So, even though he paid them $28 million to do their job, and they didn't, but he didn't realize it, the conundrum is that it still could be his fault and not theirs? Oh please, give me a break!

User avatar
brunasouzota
Posts: 779
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:06 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by brunasouzota » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:34 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:
brunasouzota wrote:
Chocolat wrote:In my opinion, I think because of the messy divorce, over time, Johnny came to realize how poorly his fiances were being managed. If we are to find any glimpse of positiveness out of the divorce, it was the ultimate AHA! discovery moment of when and where Heard slipped up and revealed the extent of trouble she had created with his money. My gut feeling, is that she had her hand in a portion the mismanagement, or carelessly added to it and is just as guilty as The Management Group. But that is just my opinion and it makes sense to me.
:agreesign:

I do not understood about Christie. Someone :angel: can tell me about why the name her to be in document? :hope:
Christie is Johnny's personal business manager and she is named as a witness and participant in allowing TMG to spend the money.
She isn't listed as a defendant in the countersuit, but as a person who okayed certain loans and spending by TMG. In Johnny's original suit, he claimed he wasn't aware of his financial situation and wasn't aware of TMG's spending habits. TMG countered that they repeatedly told Johnny and Christie and Johnny's lawyer what was happening. :hypnotic:
:daisyforyou Chocolat.

So strange the fact that the TMG seems confirm about Christie authorizing the use of money
and Johnny said that he not authorizing. Someone know if she and Vanessa was friends? I remember a pic of Christie using a dress of Vanessa. Johnny was pure near a girl ambitious like Amber... but the truth of logic and of mathematics show Vanessa much more ambitious that AH, Vanessa wanted and she got 3 very successful professions above Amber. She is the Muse of Ch, singer and actress. Johnny trusted Amber and told us good things about her and we believed it easy. The problem here is that now the dirt has surfaced and someone in the family seems to have stolen a lot of money from Johnny and he before praised Vanessa a lot. Honestly Vanessa scares me more than Amber. Vanessa got much more attention, pics in red carpets and photoshoots and covers of magazine than Amber. I hate thinking that people can thinking that Christie was not honest. I prefer to continue to believe in Christie's serenity and modesty than to believe in Vanessa and her extraordinary and ambitious life of glamour of many years. It not surprise me if V also was a mess to Johnny and he made not know it or do not tell it because of his kids.
:heart4: Johnny is my life forever. :kiss: :hug2: :twohearts:

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 51828
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:26 pm

So far, none of the wives/girlfriends have been mentioned in any of the documents.
Christie was only mentioned because she is listed as an official in his businesses, such as IN.

No one is claiming that any of the women stole or mishandled the money.

We can have personal opinions, but right now, this is only between Johnny and TMG.

User avatar
Theresa
JDZ Webmaster
Posts: 27100
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 1:21 am
Location: Houston, Texas
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Theresa » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:38 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:So far, none of the wives/girlfriends have been mentioned in any of the documents.
Christie was only mentioned because she is listed as an official in his businesses, such as IN.

No one is claiming that any of the women stole or mishandled the money.

We can have personal opinions, but right now, this is only between Johnny and TMG.
Right! And that's where we need to keep the focus on this thread.

User avatar
Chocolat
Posts: 9899
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Sleepy Hollow
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Chocolat » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:50 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:So far, none of the wives/girlfriends have been mentioned in any of the documents.
Christie was only mentioned because she is listed as an official in his businesses, such as IN.

No one is claiming that any of the women stole or mishandled the money.

We can have personal opinions, but right now, this is only between Johnny and TMG.
Your point is valid, however, I just find it interesting how the lawsuit was filed against TMG as soon as the divorce was finalized. This timing, to me, raises questions.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 51828
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:03 pm

Chocolat wrote:
SnoopyDances wrote:So far, none of the wives/girlfriends have been mentioned in any of the documents.
Christie was only mentioned because she is listed as an official in his businesses, such as IN.

No one is claiming that any of the women stole or mishandled the money.

We can have personal opinions, but right now, this is only between Johnny and TMG.
Your point is valid, however, I just find it interesting how the lawsuit was filed against TMG as soon as the divorce was finalized. This timing, to me, raises questions.
I'm sure Amber was aware of his financial issues and probably why she opted to settle quickly, rather than drag it out any longer.
And I'm not sure how her settlement might be affected if Johnny ends up filing bankruptcy.
Typically, one still owes spousal support even during bankruptcy, but I remember Barry Bonds was able to get relieved of his support duties during a baseball strike, claiming hardship.

But all of that is jumping ahead. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out in the courts.
Last edited by SnoopyDances on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sweeney Todd
Posts: 897
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:41 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Sweeney Todd » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:04 pm

For some reason, Daily Mail published ANOTHER article and made it their top story.
:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 29819
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by nebraska » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:20 am

Interesting article, firefly! One of my closest friends is an office manager in a financial investment office of a national company. On their end of things they are dismayed because the new rules will cause delays and complications that will inhibit the quality of the service they are able to offer new clients (older clients are grandfathered in to their previous business practices). Not everything can be made better by heaping law upon law upon law. Sometimes common sense needs to prevail.

User avatar
brunasouzota
Posts: 779
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:06 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by brunasouzota » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:26 am

Theresa wrote:
SnoopyDances wrote:So far, none of the wives/girlfriends have been mentioned in any of the documents.
Christie was only mentioned because she is listed as an official in his businesses, such as IN.

No one is claiming that any of the women stole or mishandled the money.

We can have personal opinions, but right now, this is only between Johnny and TMG.
Right! And that's where we need to keep the focus on this thread.
The word and idea mentioned in the document of unnamed persons involved includes all the people closest to him. I also do not get out of focus.
:heart4: Johnny is my life forever. :kiss: :hug2: :twohearts:

User avatar
Sweeney Todd
Posts: 897
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:41 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Sweeney Todd » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:30 am



Johnny Depp Claims Ex-Business Managers Are Taking a ‘Blame the Victim’ Strategy Over His Financial Woes

By Alexia Fernandez•@alexiafedz
Posted on February 1, 2017 at 10:01pm EST

Johnny Depp is firing back at his former management team over their claims his financial woes are all his fault, according to a statement by Depp’s attorney, Adam Waldman.

The Pirates of the Caribbean star claims his former business team, The Management Group (TMG), “have chosen to employ a reprehensible ‘blame the victim’ strategy in a transparent attempt to save their own skin and deflect away from their malfeasance, which is chronicled in Mr. Depp’s 48 page complaint.”

“Mr. Depp did not sue his former business managers for his own personal investment decisions or the ‘financial distress’ they wildly allege — Mr. Depp sued them for fraud and multiple breaches of their fiduciary duty, among other claims,” Waldman continues. “Gaslighting the public with global press releases will not save the defendants in court from their gross misconduct set forth in the complaint.”

Depp, 53, sued TMG earlier this month for $25 million in a fraud lawsuit. On Tuesday, TMG filed a cross-complaint, claiming the actor lived an “ultra-extravagant lifestyle that often knowingly cost Depp in excess of $2 million per month to maintain, which he simply could not afford.”

In TMG’s lawsuit, obtained by PEOPLE, the management firm asks Depp to pay more than $560,000 in allegedly unpaid commissions and credit card fees. TMG’s lawsuit is also asking for a court declaration that it “complied with all of its fiduciary obligations under the law and that Depp is responsible for his own financial waste.”

TMG’s complaint claims Depp spent over $75 million on 14 residences, $18 million to “acquire and renovate a 150 foot luxury yacht,” millions more buying and maintaining 45 luxury vehicles, $30,000 per month on expensive wines flown from all over the world, as well as $200,000 per month on private planes and tens of millions on “a massive and extremely expensive art collection,” including “world class jewelry,” about 70 collectible guitars and over 200 works by artists such as Warhol, Klimt, Basquiat, and Modigliani, among other things.

In the court papers, his former managers claim they repeatedly warned Depp of his overspending, and even warned him to get a pre-nup before marrying Amber Heard, which ended up costing him a $7 million settlement.

However, Depp’s lawyers claim in his lawsuit that the actor “lost tens of millions of dollars and has been forced to dispose of significant assets to pay for TMG’s self-dealing and gross misconduct.”

Depp’s lawsuit alleges TMG paid itself over $28 million in fees without his consent and failed to pay his taxes on time, resulting in $5.6 million in fees and penalties. The actor also claims the company loaned money to people without Depp’s permission. reads Depp’s complaint.

In a statement, TMG maintains that “Johnny Depp alone was solely responsible for his extravagant spending. Over 17 years, The Management Group (TMG) did everything possible to protect the actor from himself.”

:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

User avatar
meeps
Posts: 3322
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:13 am
Location: Hiding in my imagination?
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by meeps » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:06 am

I do so agree with this statement:


“Mr. Depp did not sue his former business managers for his own personal investment decisions or the ‘financial distress’ they wildly allege — Mr. Depp sued them for fraud and multiple breaches of their fiduciary duty, among other claims,”
Whether or not Johnny behaved a bit stupidly, when it came to money - used them like there was no tomorrow - is no excuse for anybody to take advantage of him!
Not to mention, that I am sure, that part of those money, they say, he spend each month, was spent on paying them for managing the rest of his money honestly, right? And I don't expect, they worked for minimum wages. But that's another matter entirely, they would probably state :biggrin:

redrascal1
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:26 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by redrascal1 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:22 am

I feel sad, he's been so generous to people in the past.

I'll never forget him donating a load of money to Great Ormond Street after they saved Lily - Rose. :sad:

User avatar
Kittycat88
Posts: 36869
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:44 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Kittycat88 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Howdy guys, wow, I can't believe this. All along I thought Christi handled his finances...guess I was wrong. Hard to believe he went through all the money, so something seems amiss. Poor Johnny...another problem.

Just finished reading the thread. I just heard about this today, boy am I out of the loop. I know he gave Vanessa a rather large settlement, when they split up, but I don't know how much or how it was to be paid (in a lump sum or over time). I don't think she needed it, and I distinctly remember and interview he gave, when he bought the island, that Vanessa was hesitant. Johnny saying she asked "why do you (we ) need a island" . Then there were the trusts set up for his kiddies, which was a smart move.

To me, in all his dealings, Johnny has always been a tremendously generous person, both to the charities he supported, and the friends who may have been in need.

I hope he doesn't lose "the castle" it will always be Johnny's "home" in my mind and would hate to see it go. Will keep on eye on situation here, where I am likely to get a more balanced view of it all than the entertainment shows and reporters.
I have finally found a way to live just like I never could before.
I have finally found a way to live in the presence of the lord ~ E. Clapton

User avatar
shaman-art
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: near Hamburg (Germany)
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by shaman-art » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:14 pm

All the recent headlines make it sound like he is broke. :bored: I'd rather doubt that. He might have spent a lot for traveling and his employees. But all the money he used to buy art and real estate is still there and most likely the value of those items has increased over the years. The numbers on zillow.com show that the value of some of his houses more than doubled since the time he bought them. Even his former managers still claim he owns 12 (!) storage facilities full of art and Hollywood memorabilia. For two of the eight Basquiats he sold last summer he got 11.5 million. And the wine? Of course he likes to drink it, but he might have also bought some rare bottles as an investment.
His lawyer and the new managers spent a lot of time going through all this mess. They would have never gone public without enough evidence.

User avatar
marija
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:55 pm
Location: Germany
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by marija » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:13 pm

shaman-art wrote:All the recent headlines make it sound like he is broke. :bored: I'd rather doubt that. He might have spent a lot for traveling and his employees. But all the money he used to buy art and real estate is still there and most likely the value of those items has increased over the years. The numbers on zillow.com show that the value of some of his houses more than doubled since the time he bought them. Even his former managers still claim he owns 12 (!) storage facilities full of art and Hollywood memorabilia. For two of the eight Basquiats he sold last summer he got 11.5 million. And the wine? Of course he likes to drink it, but he might have also bought some rare bottles as an investment.
His lawyer and the new managers spent a lot of time going through all this mess. They would have never gone public without enough evidence.
Thank you shaman...you give me a little hope back. :airkiss: :daisyforyou
...it's not easy, to be different..."