FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
marija

Re: FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD Updates

Unread post by marija » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:45 pm

SnoopyDances wrote::giddy:
Sounds like they are more hyped up over the second movie, rather than the first one opening this weekend.

As I understand it, there are no books about this series, correct?
Unlike HP where everyone had an idea of the plot, characters, etc.
:bigwave: Snoopy...I've already preordered the book from or about the first Beasts. It's avaible in February 2017 , here.
...it's not easy, to be different..."

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:00 pm

marija wrote:
Sounds like they are more hyped up over the second movie, rather than the first one opening this weekend.

:bigwave: Snoopy...I've already preordered the book from or about the first Beasts. It's avaible in February 2017 , here.
:signhi:

So there will be books, then. :hatsoff:

marija

Unread post by marija » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:02 pm

marija wrote:

I've to add that it's the original script from J. K. Rowling :biggrin:
...it's not easy, to be different..."

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:06 pm

marija wrote:
marija wrote:

I've to add that it's the original script from J. K. Rowling :biggrin:
:cool2: :noodlemantra:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread post by Gilbert's Girl » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:14 pm

Fantastic Beasts is a book but its like an encyclapedia of Fantastic Beasts in the HP universe. I think originallyvthe film was concieved as a documentry

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:32 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:

Fantastic Beasts is a book but its like an encyclapedia of Fantastic Beasts in the HP universe. I think originallyvthe film was concieved as a documentry
:ok:

I suppose then they will write books based on the movies.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread post by Theresa » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:23 pm

This is an excerpt from a longer interview.

Davids Yates and Heyman Spill Fantastic Beasts Secrets: Paris, Dumbledore, Depp, Credence and more!

Nov 08, 2016
Posted by: Catherine
The Leaky Cauldron

[. . .]
Speaking of pivotal characters…Last week it was leaked that Johnny Depp would be a part of the Fantastic Beasts series, and most likely as Grindelwald. David Yates and David Heyman confirmed this, and were surprised that the secret hadn’t been leaked sooner.

“We filmed early,” the both said. “I was amazed,” Heyman added.”It was completely bonkers. I was convinced it [would be leaked] you can keep very few secrets nowadays, especially something like that! When he came to Leavesden and we filmed for two days…and it didn’t come out. That’s mad.”

“Sworn to secrecy,” David Yates added with a smile.

David Heyman looked at Yate. “Well people tend to break their promises.”

A lot of drama and ridicule as surrounded the issue of Jonny Depp in Fantastic Beasts since the news broke. Many fans are especially concerned with Depp’s current domestic abuse scandal.

David Yates explained why they chose Depp, saying, “the whole principal of casting the movie was go with the best actor. Go for the most inspired, interesting, right fit for that character. And as we approached Grindelwald we thought, ‘who’s going to take this in an interesting direction?’ In this business, it’s a weird old business. You’re brilliant one week, people are saying odd things the next, you go up and down. But no one takes away your pure talent.”

“Johnny Depp is a real artist. He’s created several characters who have really resonated in our popular culture. He’s a really brilliant, brilliant actor. We were excited about seeing what he would do with this guy, the character. He’s fearless; he’s imaginative; he’s ambitious. We thought he would do something fun and special. So we went for him, purely on that selfish basis. We don’t care if he’s famous or not famous. We just know he’s interesting.”

David Heyman jumped in with a few words to say on the subject. “Grindelwald is an iconic character, so it was important to have someone who had that weight. There’s a reason why he has that weight. It’s because, you know, he’s a fine actor who makes unexpected choices.”

I reminded the Davids that the films are title “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” and with the Grindelwarld announcement, it seems that the Beasts are going to take a back seat to a new Voldemort-Harry like story. David Yates said yes, “currently the beasts feature slightly less in the second film, and Grindelwald takes more of a foreground. Currently. But we love the beasts so much. There’s an amazing beast in the second movie–a Chinese beast, actually–that is featured. We’re exploring how we can get a couple more beasts into the second film, with Jo.”

Heyman had a more philosophical answer, and we loved it. “In a way the beasts are the creatures in the case. But it’s also the beast in each of us. […] I think beasts will continue to play a part in some score. It’s also so much a part of what Jo writes about. It’s the consequences of repression.”
[. . .]

Gilbert's Girl

Unread post by Gilbert's Girl » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:29 pm

Thanks Theresa they say some very interesting things there as to why they chose Johnny .

ibbi 3

Unread post by ibbi 3 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:50 pm

Thank you Theresa :thanks!:
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

Sweeney Todd

Unread post by Sweeney Todd » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:51 am

:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:48 pm

This is so wrong. People who don't even know Johnny are now being asked to comment on the appropriateness of him being cast in their film. I felt so sad and angry listening to them struggle to say something noncommittal as they danced around what the interviewer really wanted.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Sweeney Todd

Unread post by Sweeney Todd » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:59 am

JK Rowling praises 'incredible' Johnny Depp at Fantastic Beasts premiere

By Press Association

Published: 06:18 GMT, 11 November 2016 | Updated: 06:19 GMT, 11 November 2016

JK Rowling said she was "delighted" Johnny Depp had been cast in the Harry Potter prequel Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them.

The author said Depp, who faced domestic abuse accusations during his divorce battle with Amber Heard earlier this year, had done "incredible things" with his portrayal of dark wizard Grindelwald.

Depp, who vehemently denied the abuse allegations, appears briefly in Fantastic Beasts but is set for a more prominent role in the planned sequel.

"I'm delighted," Rowling said of Depp's casting at the film's world premiere in New York.

"He's done incredible things with that character."

Director David Yates said Depp - whose partner Heard filed for divorce in May - filmed his sequence in Fantastic Beasts in January and urged Harry Potter fans to trust the filmmakers about his casting.

"You have to trust us and see what he does in this movie," Yates said.

"You won't see very much in this movie because he appears in it very fleetingly. He appears much more in the second movie.

"What you have to remember about Johnny is that extraordinary talent and that talent never goes away.

"Hollywood is such a fickle place. People go up and go down.

"He's a huge Potter fan. He loves the world. He was beyond excited about working on this material. In fact he didn't even want to see a script, he just said 'I'm in'."

Rowling, who has been a vocal critic of Donald Trump, had earlier said she was in a "bleak mood" travelling to America to promote the film.

The author refused to speak directly about the president-elect at a press conference in New York but revealed the story of Fantastic Beasts was inspired by the rise of "populism".

"I think today is a day to focus on some good things and putting some good things out into the world hopefully," Rowling said.

"If you have read the Potter books, you'll know this period of history threatened to become very dystopian. You were looking at the rise of a very dark force.

"I conceived of this story a few years ago. It was partly informed by what I see as a rise of populism around the world."

She added: "Last night I was in a kind of a bleak mood boarding the plane and I thought I need to work.

"I got out the second screenplay and worked on that and it made me feel a whole lot better."

It has been reported that a sequel to Fantastic Beasts may feature a gay relationship between the character Depp's Grindelwald and a young Professor Dumbledore from the original Harry Potter stories.

Addressing the speculation, Rowling said: "I can't tell you everything I'd like to say because obviously it's a five-part story and there's lots to unpack in that relationship.

"I will say you'll see Dumbledore as a younger man and quite a troubled man because he wasn't always the sage. He was always very clever.

"We'll see him at what I think was the formative period of his life.

"As far as his sexuality is concerned, watch this space."

Rowling, who is currently working on a new novel, also revealed she hoped to bring the West End play Harry Potter And The Cursed Child to Broadway.

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them is released in UK cinemas on November 18.

:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

emma

Unread post by emma » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:32 pm

People.com

J.K Rowling and Fantastic Beasts Producers Reveal Why They Cast Johnny Depp in Surprising Role

By Ale Russian

Updated November 11, 2016 at 1:15pm EST

Witches and wizards aren’t the only ones who can pull tricks — the filmmakers behind Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them have a surprise in store for fans toward the end of the film.

(Warning: light spoilers below.)

It’s the 1920s in the first spin-off movie from J.K Rowling‘s sprawling Harry Potter universe, and the wizarding world is in chaos following the rise of dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald. And fans will be surprised to see a familiar face in the role of the world’s most dangerous wizard — before Voldemort, of course.

Revealed near the end of the movie, Johnny Depp makes a small cameo as Grindelwald, a character who promises to take on a bigger role in the new franchise’s four planned sequels.

“Why did we cast him? Because he’s iconic. He’s an iconic actor and we needed an iconic actor to play this part,” veteran Potter producer David Heyman told PEOPLE at the Fantastic Beasts premiere Thursday night at New York City’s Lincoln Center. “Johnny’s created two or three iconic people, people who are unforgettable. He makes choices, and that was really, really important.”

Heyman also added that they “wanted somebody who could, in the one hand, seduce, but, on the other hand, be really scary. Johnny can do that. He was an absolute pleasure to work with.”

When asked if he was worried that the film might be impacted by Depp’s recent legal woes following his acrimonious divorce from Amber Heard, who had accused the actor of domestic abuse, Heyman said: “Here’s the thing: Misogyny, abuse, maltreatment of people is unacceptable — but none of us know what happened in that room. So I think it would be unfair for me to be judge and jury, or for any of us to be judge and jury.”

Potter creator and Fantastic Beasts screenwriter Rowling also spoke to PEOPLE about Depp’s appearance in the saga.

“He’s obviously a cameo in this film but going forward will obviously be more important,” Rowling said. “Watching Johnny create a character is really quite remarkable, it’s fascinating. It’s great as a writer to work with people like that.”

David Yates, who directed the last four Harry Potter movies and has now helmed Fantastic Beasts, marveled at the fact that they were able to keep Depp’s cameo a secret for so long, revealing the actor’s scene in the film was shot this past January.

“It’s unbelievable that people only just found out,” Yates said. “We cast him because he’s a real artist. He’s a great actor. We’re asking him to fill a big pair of shoes — Grindelwald is a huge character.“

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them — also starring Eddie Redmayne, Katherine Waterston, Ezra Miller and Colin Farrell — hits theaters Nov. 18.

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:01 am

“Here’s the thing: Misogyny, abuse, maltreatment of people is unacceptable — but none of us know what happened in that room. So I think it would be unfair for me to be judge and jury, or for any of us to be judge and jury.”
If only people could remember that ...
Or if they really, really have to judge - because they just can't help it and need to get it out of their system - like I am doing now, I guess :) - then I wish they would take the time to do a bit of research into the characters and prior history of the persons involved/look at the evidence before pronouncing the final condemning verdict :sad:
Just sighing :blush: Eh - saying :flirt:

jruoss

Unread post by jruoss » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:25 pm

I'm glad to hear Rowling herself is enthused about Johnny, maybe that will stem the naysayer tide a bit. She's not the only one feeling bleak about Trump being elected. I hope she's seen Johnny's portrayal. I think of all the actors who've done recent Trumps, his was the one that pulled no punches.
I'm curious if Johnny only appears briefly in the first movie, how many amazing things has he actually had the chance to do with the character already? Sounds intriguing though, I'm looking forward to seeing this guy.
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."