FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
jruoss

Re: FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD Updates

Unread post by jruoss » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:53 pm

Thanks to those who addressed my questions. I wasn't sure how closely Amber worked with Eddie on Danish Girl, whether they had become "friends". Eddie seems like a swell chap.

So it sounds like Johnny will be fairly free to make this Grindelwald character his own. Interesting that it was Jamie Campbell Bower (Sweeney Todd) that portrayed a younger Grindelwald. This could be fun... as I said in my earlier post, I'm glad Johnny's coming in near the start of this spin off, and not jumping into the pre-established world of Harry Potter.

I haven't read any of Rowling's books; I must admit that the sheer popularity of everything she does is a bit of a turn off for me. I have similar feelings about George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones, same reason. When it comes to the Fantastique, there is so much good stuff out there, especially by the likes of Clive Barker and Neil Gaiman, both of whom have written books for younger people as well as adults. Or how about that "A Wrinkle In Time" lady, or Ursula K. LeGuin? But if Johnny's going to do this, I'm guessing he must have read some of Rowling's work and not run away screaming.

I also saw a great deal of comments painting Johnny as some abusive drunk. I like what someone here said about most of them being self righteous teens who don't have any more room in their brains to get beyond the tabloid headlines, well said.
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."

Justme

Unread post by Justme » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:47 pm

You're welcome, Gilbert's Girl.
I myself am a huge fan of Harry Potter (all those childhood memories) and I must say that I'm really disappointed in all those people attacking Johnny, because HP also touch the subject of false accusations and shows how they can ruined one's life.
Last edited by Joni on Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please, no chatspeak per Zone guidelines.

ibbi 3

Unread post by ibbi 3 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:19 am

Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:44 am

I don't know if it is against the rules to post this here. If I is I understand and won't protest its removal. But I have just found this petition related to this subject via Facebook:

And there is this great argument in the text for why people should probably take A. Heard's claims with a punch of salt ...

"Johnny Depp has a history of hitting furniture, throwing bottles, whatnot, trashing hotel rooms, but those things are inanimate objects. He never once hit a woman in the history of his career or we would have heard about it, and he would have owned up and gone for help. I forgot one more telltale sign. Why did Johnny Depp refuse Amber instant spousal support if he physically abused her the whole time they were together? He'd have given half his fortune in a heartbeat if any of her claims had been true."

reindeermoon

Unread post by reindeermoon » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:55 pm

Thank you for that post. I did sign, because all the positive comments are wiped out by the media.
:mad2:

jruoss

Unread post by jruoss » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:38 pm

I signed as well, not because I love the idea of Johnny being in this particular movie, but because apparently there's a percentage out there more than happy to believe the worst about Johnny, hook, line, and sinker. The facts don't even matter, they've made up their minds and don't care to know anything more, and I don't want to see Johnny's cinematic options limited by these culturally defunct people.
However, it's not that much of a surprise that this blow back is happening with something that has as much mainstream popularity as J. K. Rowling. If this movie was based on almost any other writer's work, there wouldn't be all the noise.
So if you're a fan of both Rowling and Depp, you should tell these other jokers where to stick it. :sweeneyrazor:
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:39 pm

Also signed. Anything we can do to show rational solidarity with Johnny is worth the effort. Though we may never shut them down, the baseless, empty protests of these haters demands rebuttal.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:43 am

Thank you meeps !!!! :smiliewithhearts: :flashingheart: It's really important to sign this Petition. :ok: ( Sorry for my bad English )

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:43 am

You're welcome :airkiss2: And I am really happy to see that you all seem to have liked this, so thanks a lot for that :bouquet:

Oh, and there's nothing wrong with your English as far as I can see :love:

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread post by Theresa » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:57 am

A hint at bigger things to come with Johnny's involvement in the HP universe?
Of course we don't know if Johnny will be Grindelwald or not, but if he is....

Fantastic Beasts teaser warns of the pre-Voldemort threat

by Nick Romano
EW.com
Posted November 5 2016 — 12:58 PM EDT

Gellert Grindelwald is the first “He Who Must Not Be Named” of the wizarding world. The latest TV spot released Saturday for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, J.K. Rowling’s cinematic Harry Potter prequel, warns of the dark wizard without saying his name.

“Before Voldemort, there was another threat to the wizarding world,” the caption on Facebook reads. In the footage itself, Colin Farrell’s character, the Auror Percival Graves, warns, “Time is running out. The man I warned you about is getting closer. We’ve lived in the shadows for too long. I refuse to bow down any longer.”

In the Harry Potter books, Grindelwald was considered the most powerful dark wizard in history before Voldemort came along. With four more movie sequels on the way after Fantastic Beasts, director David Yates confirmed Grindelwald is “going to become a much more prominent part of the stories going forward,” during the film’s international fan event. “Any more than that, I really couldn’t say.”

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:06 am

Theresa wrote:A hint at bigger things to come with Johnny's involvement in the HP universe?
:giddy: :hope:

marija

Unread post by marija » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:32 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:
Theresa wrote:A hint at bigger things to come with Johnny's involvement in the HP universe?
:giddy: :hope:
:truefan:
...it's not easy, to be different..."

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread post by Theresa » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:06 pm

An excerpt from a much longer article...
(Can't completely avoid Ms. Rowlings political comments, but we don't need to get into a discussion about them, please)

In ‘Beasts,’ Rowling Cloaks Politics in a Tale of Magic

By LOGAN HILL
New York Times
NOV. 2, 2016

[. . .]
On Twitter, Ms. Rowling has posted that “Voldemort was nowhere near as bad” as Mr. Trump. In the new series, the dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald is a more pernicious and modern threat, who manipulates impressionable followers, the media and prominent politicians.

“Unlike Voldemort, who was an angry brute, the next iteration is much more lethal,” Mr. Yates said. “He wants to win the hearts and minds in a way that’s quite beguiling and sophisticated, but his values are dangerous.” Such new nemeses are “able through sheer charisma and ability to inspire and hypnotize and carry the crowd, and take the world to a darker place. That’s where the next story is going.”
[. . .]

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread post by Theresa » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:09 pm

‘Fantastic Beasts 2’ setting revealed by director David Yates (and it’s far away from America)

ANDREW SIMS
HYPABLE.com
12:15 PM EST, OCTOBER 31, 2016

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is set in New York, but where will the sequel take place? Hint: It’s not New York.

Director David Yates has revealed in a new interview where Newt and company will be heading when Fantastic Beasts 2 opens in theaters in November 2018. The answer: Paris, France.

The Fantastic Beasts 2 setting was confirmed while he spoke with Empire Magazine for a recent cover story. “It’s quite ambitious,” Yates says of the sequel, “[Production designer Stuart Craig] is unflappable and indefatigable, but when he saw the script for Beasts 2, he said, ‘Let me just think about it for a minute.'”

Stuart Craig has that kind of reaction after designing the Harry Potter movies for well over a decade? We are already so excited.

For a while we’ve known that the Fantastic Beasts story would be moving to a different city for the sequel, but there hadn’t been on-the-record confirmation of the location being Paris.

On the most recent episode of MuggleCast I suggested that for J.K. Rowling, moving her story from city to city will be a refreshing writing experience. Unlike with Harry Potter, The Casual Vacancy or the Cormoran Strike series, all of which have been set in the United Kingdom, Fantastic Beasts will allow her to keep things fresh by writing about very different cultures movie after movie.

This also means we’ll be learning about wizard culture in the unique and beautiful city of Paris, which is an exciting proposition in itself. Thanks to Fantastic Beasts 1 we’re learning lots about the Wizarding World in America, and we expect Fantastic Beasts 2 will provide the same wealth of new information for France.

What’s more, the setting moves will keep moviegoers coming back. The five-part film series — should it continue moving to different cities — will be a major learning experience for Harry Potter fans.

And just think of all those merchandising opportunities.

Begin stressing about what French witches and wizards call Muggles…. now.

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:31 pm

:giddy:
Sounds like they are more hyped up over the second movie, rather than the first one opening this weekend.

As I understand it, there are no books about this series, correct?
Unlike HP where everyone had an idea of the plot, characters, etc.