FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:28 pm

momindeppcamp wrote:It is funny how everyone's feelings about any movie differ. My hubby did not like Fantastic Beasts. He, for some reason, did not like the main character. But I did like it. However, Johnny, in this role, in Fantastic Beasts 2, is villainous. He seems to have been type cast in many of the films as a villain. Is this the only role Hollywood will offer or is this by his choice? Could someone expound on this? I do not see Johnny as a total villain even though he is not an angel. :biggrin:
I don't think Johnny has been typecast at all. He has played villains and done many comedic roles.

This particular role in FB is villainous, but Mordecai certainly wasn't.

I don't think his role in Richard Says Goodbye would be categorized as a villain, but rather an ordinary person facing extraordinary circumstances.

In City of Lies, he plays a cop that exposes corruption within his department which costs him everything.

I don't know the Barbarians role, but I'm not sure that he would play a villain there, either.

momindeppcamp

Unread post by momindeppcamp » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:12 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:
momindeppcamp wrote:It is funny how everyone's feelings about any movie differ. My hubby did not like Fantastic Beasts. He, for some reason, did not like the main character. But I did like it. However, Johnny, in this role, in Fantastic Beasts 2, is villainous. He seems to have been type cast in many of the films as a villain. Is this the only role Hollywood will offer or is this by his choice? Could someone expound on this? I do not see Johnny as a total villain even though he is not an angel. :biggrin:
I don't think Johnny has been typecast at all. He has played villains and done many comedic roles.

This particular role in FB is villainous, but Mordecai certainly wasn't.

I don't think his role in Richard Says Goodbye would be categorized as a villain, but rather an ordinary person facing extraordinary circumstances.

In City of Lies, he plays a cop that exposes corruption within his department which costs him everything.

I don't know the Barbarians role, but I'm not sure that he would play a villain there, either.

Yes, I guess you are right. If you go back to Benny and Joon. Yes. Certainly not. What I am trying to say is underneath all the terrible pub. there is a very kind and fragile human. But I am looking forward to seeing FB2 with him in it. There has been a drought of Johnny movies. And I am certainly in need of one.
What is that? It is a Terrible Towel ,Chuckle A Terrible Towel?, Yes it is a Terrible Towel for you and your son. Over this left shoulder it went. Never to be seen or heard from again. I am always so misunderstood.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:12 am

Anyone else booked their tickets yet? I'm seeing it the day it is out with a friend who is an absolute Harry Potter nut, tickets are booked! Then seeing it the following week with a group of girlfriends, then I've promised to see it with children and various god children. I shall be doing my bit to make it a success!

PS His role in Barbarians is pretty evil, and I think he will do it deliciously. I read the book over the summer and JD leapt off the page everytime the character speaks/appears. The scenes between him and Mark Rylance will be pretty intense and psychologically interesting.

SdubLU

Unread post by SdubLU » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:27 am

I also already booked tickets for the first Friday, together with a good friend... We will see it in 2D and German there and in the second week I will go and see it in 3D and English together with my boyfriend!
Maybe also a third time with my mother but I'm not sure yet...

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:24 pm

And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:35 am

This is worth a read - an interview with Ezra Miller who I may have to start fan-girling if this is how he rolls:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/fanta ... 202013036/

The title is "Ezra Miller Explains How ‘Fantastic Beasts 2’ Makes It Clear Dumbledore Is Gay, Speaks Out Against Backlash"- but it is very clear he is speaking about the Johnny-backlash when he says "As for the backlash in general, Miller had this to say: “Why don’t you wait until you see the film before you start talking s**t on Twitter? Or wait to make up your own mind about something for once in your life. Do your own research. Make up your own mind. Follow your heart, and really, really investigate situations before you identify yourself and pick a side, and start throwing things at the opposition. Because that’s what’s totally screwing everything up right now. And it polarizes us. We’re all human, and there’s a lot of things we can agree on.”"

He is using words which I see all the time from Johnny's fans in response to people assuming he is guilty especially "do your own research".

Big hugs to Ezra - beautifully said.

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:29 am

And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 pm

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:03 pm

:girlwave2: So I lucked out and am at one of today's advanced screenings with a streamed Q&A with the cast afterwards (streamed from Universal's Wizarding World in Florida is the rumor).

From the tweets from a couple media people who saw it yesterday in Hollywood, it sounds like this is gonna be good! :hope: :popcorn:

:loveshower: So excited to see a new JD performance!

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:31 pm

:loveshower: :applause2: Won't spoil anything, but I liked it and look forward to seeing it again opening week. A couple times. At least!

Johnny's performamce was wonderful (everyone's was) and I don't want. to wait 2 more yrs to see what happens next. They planted a lot of seeds, at least 1 very unexpected.

With the Potter films, you knew the story. Not so, here, of course. Hope the film does well.

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:07 am

Ruby Begonia wrote::loveshower: :applause2: Won't spoil anything, but I liked it and look forward to seeing it again opening week. A couple times. At least!

Johnny's performamce was wonderful (everyone's was) and I don't want. to wait 2 more yrs to see what happens next. They planted a lot of seeds, at least 1 very unexpected.

With the Potter films, you knew the story. Not so, here, of course. Hope the film does well.
:thankyou:

So happy for you. Can’t wait to see it!

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:22 am

More positively glowing reviews - and two not so good, but at least they don't go after Johnny :smiliewithhearts:

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:32 pm

http://www.mugglenet.com/2018/10/crimes ... -premiere/

Just saw this, from October 29th/30th, so it’s before the recent early showings and the subsequent positive comments from viewers. Has anyone heard/seen anything different? Any ideas why? Getting nervous . . .
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:41 pm

justintime wrote:http://www.mugglenet.com/2018/10/crimes ... -premiere/

Just saw this, from October 29th/30th, so it’s before the recent early showings and the subsequent positive comments from viewers. Has anyone heard/seen anything different? Any ideas why? Getting nervous . . .
My guess would be cost, logistics and timing.
Perhaps the NY venue was not available for the time needed.
Perhaps key members of the large cast would not be available for a NY premiere.
Perhaps there simply wasn't enough time between Paris, London, and the scheduled US openings.
Cost/Not necessary: The cost of security, traffic, lodgings, etc., vs the "need" for a US premiere. Producers/studios probably felt that it wasn't necessary. The buzz is out, the fans are excited, and advanced ticket sales are going well.

I suppose the cast and Rowling's appearance on the Today Show took the place of a premiere.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:18 pm

SnoppyDances I think you've hit several of the right reasons - probably not judged necessary, especially given that the US market isn't so important for this film, they've done a big NY thing as you say, JK Rowling is not loved by Trump fans! I suspect by the time they've done the Paris and London premieres the film will be out - I saw that there is one for Japan later though.

I do hope Johnny is going to the premiere - I know he is filming in Morocco but fingers crossed, if he doesn't go - even for the perfectly legitimate reasons that he is working and hates doing them - the haters will say that WB didn't want him promoting it (which is clearly rubbish after the ComicCon performance) or that he's hiding.