CITY OF LIES (LAbyrinth) Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
justintime

Unread post by justintime » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:21 am

All region NTSC DVD of City of Lies can be pre-ordered now from Amazon! :heart3: Will be released June 8, 2021.

City of Lies
City of Lies
StarringJohnny Depp
DVD
$19.99$19.99
Pre-order Price Guarantee.
FREE delivery
This title will be released on June 8, 2021.
Other format: Blu-ray
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sun May 02, 2021 5:12 pm

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sun May 02, 2021 5:13 pm

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sun May 02, 2021 9:41 pm

I watched it on demand and thought it was a great film. :toastingpirates:
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Mon May 03, 2021 11:29 am

I've arranged an open air movie and pizza night with friends to watch on Saturday (weather supposed to be getting better) but I'm kinda thinking of cheating and watching it by myself during the week

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon May 03, 2021 6:06 pm

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon May 03, 2021 6:07 pm

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Tue May 04, 2021 1:16 am

:thankyou: SnoopyDances. Wow, that’s great news . :worldhug:

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Thu May 20, 2021 5:58 am

I don't think I ever left any thoughts on this - I've watched a couple of times and will watch again this weekend and many more.

As a general thought, two of my favourite JD films are very recent ones - Waiting for the Barbarians and City of Lies.

I thought both JD and Forest were wonderful, so understated and all the more marked by the 'bling' of the surrounding story and music.

Everything about his performance from the way he walked as an old man, to the weariness and his humanity, brokenness at the end - and then the truly moving part of his son standing on the field alone - it was just wonderful.

But it was hard not to watch through the prism of what has happened in the last couple of years. He filmed this from late 2016 I believe - when a massive lie had been told against him but the full extent of the injustice he would face had not even begun to become apparent. The story line is about getting the truth out - given that he says he always takes something away from playing his characters, I wonder how much Russell Poole he has had to channel in the last few years.

It was also hard to not recall during certain scenes what else was going on. The day of the Rocky incident - JD says it had been a very special, long day, as Notorious BIG's mother was on set to play herself (a beautiful scene); and Killer Mike - JD's friend from Run the Jewels also made a cameo. Watching both those moments made me very reflective.

A poignant, sad and beautifully done film - so glad we finally got to see it.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:37 pm

I finally watched the film tonight. Covid and working zoom in school for a year utterly stole my focus -- couldn't consider anything else. It is a great movie and I highly recommend it for the truth it tells and Johnny's acting. My head is still spinning from the end -- I didn't know.

It took several scenes for me to forget who I was looking at, to stop seeing him and see only Russell Poole. But that was my problem and not JD's because he literally vanishes into this role, so quietly that the viewer becomes caught up in the story of Poole's campaign for truth and we (I) are devastated at the end by what happens to this good cop. We get to see Poole from several different perspectives which is also compelling - those who trust and believe in what he is attempting to do, those that don't give a damn, those who see him as a fool or incompetent or just a failure. We buy a piece of every perspective because Johnny never steals our attention which is absolutely masterful. We are constantly walking around and around Poole, just like the reporter Jack Jackson (Forest Whitaker) who is attempting a twenty year retrospective on the death of Biggie Smalls. Like him, we are wondering, considering, trusting and uncertain. What a magnificent way of bringing the audience to understand the truth. I am deeply impressed by the director and writer.

Because this story is about the massive failure of the LA police force to do their job honestly, there is a center of sorrow in what we learn. We are allowed to meander toward the truth ourselves, watching Poole and listening to him. Near the end, when Poole is sitting with Biggie Small's mother and Jack Jackson sits down with them, shocked to learn that Mrs. Wallace and Poole are good friends, the scope of Poole's effort becomes manifest and we realize, very late in the game, what a pure hero this man was. Wow, this one will stick with me.

Will see this one again.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:53 am

Thank you fireflydances :hug2: for your great and fascinating report. I love how you described Johnny vanishes into his character role . That's what's special about him and distinguishes a good actor. I am so happy to see the film finally on DVD in August.

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:06 pm

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:30 pm

I saw that SnoppyDances thank you for posting - these kind of things make me so happy - small victories where it actually matters. Also Black Mass is apparently at Number 5. Worth just reflecting for a moment - same actor, such incredible but different roles.

denise

City of Lies

Unread post by denise » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:03 am

You can rent City of Lies on Amazon Prime - $5.99. I enjoyed the movie. Johnny plays a retired cop looking back on an unsolved case.
denise

Spencer Armacost

Unread post by Spencer Armacost » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:52 pm

Anyone have the English subtitle version of this (as in the year & setting captions -- IE; "1994 COMPTON CALIFORNIA")? Every version I have seems to be this Italian subtitle version, no matter where I look. Does an English subtitle/caption even exist?