Johnny to star in "Invisible Man" reboot? Turns out, No.

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
jruoss

Re: Johnny to star in "Invisible Man" reboot? Turns out, No.

Unread post by jruoss » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:27 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:Sounds intriguing. :barnabas3:
No director? I wonder if Tim Burton will be called?
That's a great point. I hope Johnny has had the same idea. Sounds like a wonderful role for him, as well as a perfect situation for a "Depp Burton Comeback" (I love Dark Shadows but most people apparently didn't...). I can't think of anyone who'd be more qualified than Tim to deal with the Universal monster set as a director...
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."

jruoss

Unread post by jruoss » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:57 pm

I just watched some bit from ET Tonight talking about how the divorce hasn't had any major impact on Johnny's (or Amber's) career, how by 2018 most people will have forgotten about it. Anyway, it's the first media mention I've heard about Johnny doing The Invisible Man since February. Apparently that's still happening, but the reporter mentioned nothing about a director or filming dates. I had thought maybe Johnny's strange new haircut might have something to do with it, except that he's had that do since near the start of the Vampire tour. (He did say in one interview that the hair was for a film.) I checked the imdb page for Invisible Man, just updated yesterday, and it says the movie will be released April 13, 2018.
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:06 am

I'm looking forward to this one but it will be a while before the project starts. Sherlock Gnomes is in pre-production so that will be his next project.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

jruoss

Unread post by jruoss » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:14 am

Thanks for the info. I was thinking he had already done the Sherlock Gnomes thing for whatever reason, as animated movies can take awhile to put together.

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread post by Joni » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:00 pm

In-too-Depp wrote:I'm looking forward to this one but it will be a while before the project starts. Sherlock Gnomes is in pre-production so that will be his next project.
I don't think we know this for a fact, do we? The Sherlock Gnomes news board thread hasn't been updated with anything to indicate when Johnny will start.

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:07 am

Joni wrote:
In-too-Depp wrote:I'm looking forward to this one but it will be a while before the project starts. Sherlock Gnomes is in pre-production so that will be his next project.
I don't think we know this for a fact, do we? The Sherlock Gnomes news board thread hasn't been updated with anything to indicate when Johnny will start.
True but I've checked on Imdb and it's listed as pre-production and nothing else connected to Johnny's name has gotten that far yet.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

jruoss

Unread post by jruoss » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:07 pm

Guess we don't know exactly what's happening with "Gnomes", but if April 13 2018 is a legitimate release date for Invisible Man, then they probably want to be finished filming by not much later than Johnny's next birthday, so whoever has at least 9 or 10 months to put the thing together.

ibbi 3

Unread post by ibbi 3 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:14 pm

Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:20 am

I think, it's a waste of cutie pie to have Johnny play an invisible man ... But here's the latest news about the movie anyway :flirt:

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:00 am

meeps wrote:I think, it's a waste of cutie pie to have Johnny play an invisible man ... But here's the latest news about the movie anyway :flirt:

Thanks meeps for this update, and :agreesign:
My vote is for VISIBLE!
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:50 am

:lol:

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Sun May 20, 2018 10:20 am

Universal’s Dark Universe might not be done after all:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Sun May 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Ade wrote:Universal’s Dark Universe might not be done after all:

I like this paragraph best from the article: So, while it's unclear exactly what is next for the Dark Universe, what does seem clear is that something is next. Whatever Universal has been doing behind the scenes, the studio is now ready to publicly acknowledge about the Dark Universe again, otherwise, we wouldn't have seen a public Instagram post like this.

Love old time horror films!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:36 am

Johnny seems to be out as the Invisible Man:

Invisible Man Remake Gets Upgrade Director; Johnny Depp Not Attached
BY MOLLY FREEMAN – ON JAN 28, 2019
The Invisible Man remake recruits producer Jason Blum and Upgrade director Leigh Whannell; Johnny Depp is currently no longer attached. Universal Studios has tried twice to launch a shared universe starring classic movie monsters - first with 2014's Dracula Untold and again in 2017 with the release of Tom Cruise's The Mummy remake. However, both films failed to be the franchise-starter Universal was looking for in each.

In the case of The Mummy, Universal already had plans for an expansive Dark Universe that included not only their rebooted Mummy but new takes on the Invisible Man, with Johnny Depp in the lead role, and the Bride of Frankenstein - with Angelina Jolie reportedly set to portray the titular monster - among others. But after the release of The Mummy in 2017, the Dark Universe saw a number of shake-ups and eventually was reportedly to have dissolved. At the time, it was unclear what the studio would do with its slate of in-development classic monster movies. Now it looks like Universal is starting over, first with a reworked vision for Invisible Man.

Variety is reporting that Universal has recruited Upgrade director Whannell for the Invisible Man remake, while Blum and his Blumhouse Productions banner have also signed on to produce the film. Further, Variety reports Depp is no longer attached to the picture, but may appear in a different monster universe movie. Expanding on that point on Twitter, Variety reporter Justin Kroll said Depp isn't attached anymore due to the film's new direction, but the actor has the option to return.

As revealed by Variety, this new Invisible Man movie isn't part of the Dark Universe and the trade reports Universal is dropping their plans for an interconnected world of monsters. Instead, as reported by Kroll on Twitter, each film will be developed on its own and won't be constrained to a PG-13 rating. That means, Invisible Man - and Universal's other in-development monster movies - could potentially land R ratings. Given the involvement of Blumhouse and Whannell, Invisible Man could easily go that route.

Since plans for the Dark Universe have seemingly been scrapped, and Universal is going in a different direction for Invisible Man, the studio might have finally cracked the recipe for success in its monster movie remakes. Undoubtedly, the addition of Blum as a producer is a smart move considering the great success Blumhouse has had in recent years with their horror offerings. Plus, Whannell's Upgrade was successful both in terms of reception and box office earnings. As such, Blum and Whannell are good choices to help shepherd the Invisible Man into the 21st Century.

That said, it remains to be seen what will become of Universal's other monster movie remakes. But, if the studio is looking for talent of the same caliber as Blum and Whannell, their latest attempt at rebooting classic movie monsters for a modern era might just be their most successful. We'll see once The Invisible Man moves forward.
Good :heart: I also prefer him VISIBLE :bigwink: :love: :biggrin:

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:32 am

Could also conflict with Johnny’s current schedule.

But if they are going to turn it into some sort of blood bath feature, I’m glad he’s no longer involved.