Hollywood Vampires--All the latest news

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Re: Hollywood Vampires--All the latest news

Unread post by Theresa » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:19 pm

The Times Interview

Johnny Depp, Alice Cooper and Joe Perry: backstage with the Hollywood Vampires

Johnny Depp never wanted to be an actor – the film star’s teenage dream was to make it big in a band. And now, with Alice Cooper and Aerosmith’s Joe Perry, he has. Will Hodgkinson meets the Hollywood Vampires

The Times
June 16 2018, 12:01am

In the centre of Copenhagen on a balmy Saturday night, 20,000 people have crammed into the Tivoli Gardens for a concert by the Hollywood Vampires. The young crowd in this toffee-apple-bright, 19th-century amusement park are losing themselves to what is essentially a very good bar band, playing Break On Through (To the Other Side) by the Doors, Baba O’Riley by the Who, Ace of Spades by Motörhead … One classic after another from the golden age of rock.

Alice Cooper, the 70-year-old teetotal golf enthusiast born Vincent Furnier of Detroit, Michigan, who once terrified parents everywhere with a vaudeville horror routine involving mock executions, chopped-up bloodied dolls and live chickens chucked into the crowd, growls through that perennial favourite of naughty kids everywhere, School’s Out. There is a roar of approval when Joe Perry of Aerosmith, 67, a man whose former heroin habit once saw him actually die for a few seconds in the late Seventies, hits the massive riff to Aerosmith’s anthemic Sweet Emotion. The biggest roar of all, however, comes when a second guitarist, in a headband, white shirt with rolled-up sleeves and a black waistcoat, steps out of the shadows to sing “Heroes” by David Bowie. Perhaps it’s not surprising. The second guitarist is Johnny Depp, after all.

“That song has been so relevant to me,” says Depp the following afternoon, which turns out to be his 55th birthday. He talks in a quiet, slow, low burr of indeterminate origin, a bit British, a bit like Marlon Brando. “Especially over the past few years.”

Getting to interview the Hollywood Vampires has not been easy, and that is because of events in Depp’s life over those past few years. These include allegations of drunkenness and cruelty (which he denied) from former wife Amber Heard, although a $7 million divorce settlement proved remarkably effective in making them disappear (she formally withdrew the allegations); bizarre tales of outrageous profligacy, such as buying a French village, shooting the writer Hunter S Thompson’s ashes into space and a $30,000 monthly wine bill; and then, a week before the Tivoli gig, a photograph of Depp looking gaunt and ashen in a Russian fan selfie, bringing rumours of a deadly illness or – worse – of him losing his looks.

I’m under strict instructions not to bring up any of the above, not least because a few days before we meet a German journalist did just that, resulting in all future press being cancelled and panic among the large Depp camp. Somehow, though, I’ve slipped through the net. Perhaps it’s because I like the band, or perhaps it’s because I can see Depp for what he is: a sweet, shy, slightly lost guy who became one of the most charismatic Hollywood stars of modern times when all he ever really wanted to be was one of the boys in the band.

“I never left music. I never stopped playing,” says Depp, looking not gaunt and ashen but, with eyeliner, a mohawk and countless tattoos on muscular arms, like the kind of middle-aged man whose vision of heaven would be sitting on a porch with Keith Richards, strumming his way through Wild Horses, a bottle of Jack Daniel’s within swigging distance. “But I gained a certain amount of success in another field, which is still a mystery to me. When I first went to Los Angeles with my band we drove across country in a rented van, breaking down along the way, searching for the almighty record deal. It was my life. Then the acting thing started to happen, the band broke up, and I got a job [on cop show 21 Jump Street] where they were going to pay me $1,200 a week. The first thing I did was call my mom and say, ‘Hey, you can quit your job.’ ”

Depp is sitting with Alice Cooper and Joe Perry in a hotel lounge, all dressed in black, all weighed down by enough chains, rings, trinkets and necklaces to fill the kind of treasure chest Captain Jack Sparrow of Pirates of the Caribbean gets into all kinds of scrapes to find. The interview was meant to start two hours earlier, but none of the assistants, tour managers and men of unclear role hanging around outside and (despite protestations) inside the room seemed capable of going up to Depp’s hotel room, knocking on the door and telling him to get a move on. Eventually, he came down anyway and now here we are, with two music legends and one actor, enthusing about the rock’n’roll fantasy world they have created.

It was Alice Cooper’s idea. The original Hollywood Vampires was an early Seventies drinking group that met at a dive on Sunset Strip, Los Angeles, called the Rainbow Bar and Grill, where in a private upstairs room the rock stars of the day would escape the pressures of fame to swap tales of debauchery, flirt with a no-nonsense, gum-chewing, peroxide blonde waitress called Schatzi and drink each other under the table.

“All we did was drink, and people only saw us at night, so naturally we became the Hollywood Vampires,” says Cooper, who still looks like the cadaverous folk devil of Seventies tabloid fascination, despite being very personable and surprisingly punctual. “Keith Moon would walk in dressed as the Queen of England one night and Hitler the next. Harry Nilsson was there, arguing with John Lennon. John could be very funny, but if he was in one of his ‘I’m going to change the world’ moods, forget it. The more he drank, the worse it got.”

As fun as this was, Cooper did notice a problem: people kept dying. “The fact that Jim Morrison of the Doors even got to 27 was a miracle. I would get high with Jimi Hendrix, and I would look at Janis Joplin and Brian Jones, and see how the music business wanted them to be creative and do something nobody had seen before, but they all went out at 27. You learn from that. Jim Morrison is dead because he tried to be Jim Morrison all the time. I would be dead too if I tried to be Alice Cooper all the time. Once I got sober I realised that art is illusion. It is stuff we create. It is not reality. Now I can go shopping, I can play golf, I can go to the cinema if I want to, and it is more fun to play the character than be the character.”

Alice Cooper can also ask world-famous actors to join his band, as he did in June 2011 on the Pinewood set of Dark Shadows, Tim Burton’s gothic comedy horror starring Johnny Depp as an aristocrat cursed with the immortal life of a vampire. Cooper was there to make a cameo in the film and he had a gig at the 100 Club, London, the same night, so he asked Depp, who he had heard could play guitar, if he wanted to come on stage for a few songs. Mutual friend Joe Perry got wind of it soon after and in September 2015 the Hollywood Vampires made their debut at LA’s Roxy, a tiny venue next door to the Rainbow Bar and Grill. The surprise at that concert, which featured guest spots from Marilyn Manson, Kesha and other assorted rock types, was how much Johnny Depp held back. He could clearly play, but he didn’t want to be the main attraction. He wanted to be the cool, Keith Richards-like guitarist, jamming with his buddies while the lead singer pranced about the front of stage.

Depp’s teenage band, the Kids, didn’t get anywhere in LA. But after Depp started making a name for himself as an actor, record companies that wouldn’t previously give them the time of day came out of the woodwork. “Mate, I was livid,” says Depp, who has a way of making steady eye contact that is strangely calming; more disarming than intimidating. “One record company guy saw us and said, ‘Really like the band. Just dump everybody and make the guitarist the lead singer,’ meaning me. I didn’t sing. I still don’t sing. I never wanted to be the frontman. I wanted to be the guy who stands just away from the lights.”

It was Alice Cooper who convinced Depp to take centre stage for “Heroes”, having told him that he had heard him in another Tim Burton film, Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street, and knew he could hold a tune if he had to.

“We’ve seen all his movies …” Cooper begins.

“I haven’t,” Depp interjects.

“But really,” Cooper continues, “we think of him as a guitar player. Do you think me and Joe Perry are going to get on stage with a guy who can’t play? That’s your proof of his ability, right there.”

“I visited him on the set of Black Mass,” says Perry in a lackadaisical Boston drawl, citing the 2015 film starring Depp as the gangster James “Whitey” Bulger. “I was inhis trailer the whole time and I never saw him without a guitar. I’ll go to his house and I’ll never meet another actor; it’s all musicians. I see people as energy, and when Johnny is on stage his energy is complete. He’s doing what he always wanted to do.”

Nonetheless, Johnny Depp remains swamped by celebrity. When he performed “Heroes” at the Tivoli, the screams from the crowd made it almost impossible to hear whether he could sing or not. Bowie’s art-rock epic about two lovers meeting at the Berlin Wall is uplifting and emotional and needs space to breathe. For Depp to be drowned out was, presumably, as frustrating for him as it was for us, the non-screaming members of the audience.

“A strange thing happens when you do too many movies,” says Depp, flouting the smoking ban with a roll-up cigarette hanging permanently from the corner of his mouth, which proves that being a celebrity does come with benefits. “People get to know who you are, which is a real trip and I’m still not used to it. Then you get more comfortable in front of a camera than you do in life. If I’m in character I can do anything. I can make a complete ass of myself, as I have done many times – and get paid for it.”

“You can have a sword fight,” offers Joe Perry.

“And be taught by the guy who taught Errol Flynn. I don’t want to be one of those whiny, complaining actors … s**t, I don’t even know if I am an actor, I never made that decision … But the acting life makes the normal life harder.”

It seems Johnny Depp has three lives: as an actor, as a rocker and as a person. It is reconciling the three that proves difficult.

“In a band you have to establish a character the way you do in a film, and if you don’t grab them immediately you’re dead,” he says. “And it hits me now: when I’m with the band, people are looking at me as the actor guy. It’s a novelty. Occasionally, I’m playing guitar and I’ll think: what the f*** are you doing? You’re Edward Scissorhands. You’re Whitey Bulger. You’re the Mad Hatter. You’re everything different from what you are on stage.”

You wonder if Depp takes the method acting approach to being in a band, although most bands don’t have a private jet in which to zip off to gigs. He looks and sounds the part, and clearly has a love for this kind of music. He reveals how, playing a Gypsy guitarist in Chocolat back in 2000, he spent hours mastering the famously difficult style of three-fingered Roma jazz virtuoso Django Reinhardt. Playing a role as an actor or a musician must, to some extent, eat into his reality. It probably helps explain why the past few years have been so chaotic.

“The concept of being a ‘serious actor’ is the biggest oxymoron going. I still can’t take acting seriously, but a bit of method is a useful thing,” he says. “I’ll never be the guy who plays Henry VIII and grabs a giant turkey leg while ignoring the packet of Doritos on the table, but I do jump in and out of character. At the end of a production there is always a period of depression, because I’m a shy person in life and in character I can be anything. There was great safety in playing Edward Scissorhands because he has innocence and purity. I based him on a dog I had. Captain Jack is a combination of Pepé Le Pew and Keith Richards, with a bit of Wile E Coyote from Road Runner. I love it that Wile E Coyote can get thumped by a giant boulder, and then you cut to the next scene and he has a little bump on his head. He never gives up. And he never wins.”

Now there is the question of how far Depp, Alice Cooper and Joe Perry will go with the Hollywood Vampires. All three are busy men. And it isn’t easy to get them in the same place at once.

“There’s a huge difference between Aerosmith and the Hollywood Vampires,” says Perry, the Keith Richards to Aerosmith singer Steven Tyler’s Mick Jagger, and with an equally fractious relationship to match. “We have a Japanese guy who comes to every Aerosmith show. He’s the only guy I know who ever went up to Steven and said, ‘Mr Tyler, your heart wasn’t in it tonight.’ Steven was f***ing flabbergasted.” Perry’s perennial gloom breaks out into what is almost a smile at the memory. “The same guy said to me, after a Hollywood Vampires show, ‘You’re playing things you couldn’t play in Aerosmith.’ It’s true. It’s a lot looser.”

“My normal show is set in cement,” says Cooper, whose concerts generally end with his head being chopped off by a guillotine.

“Alice never talks to the audience because Alice is not human. I don’t want them to relate to him. I don’t want them to like him. That’s why, when we do “Heroes” with the Hollywood Vampires, Alice can’t sing it. David Bowie was the hero. I’m the villain.”

David Bowie went to Alice Cooper’s first London show in 1971 and picked up a few tips for what would become Ziggy Stardust. “People wanted a feud between us, but it didn’t exist. We were both doing rock theatre, but he was creating a new movement in rock’n’roll and we were putting that theatre on top of hits like [I’m] Eighteen and School’s Out.”

Depp doesn’t have a main band to take him away from the Hollywood Vampires, although he does have what he refers to as the “day job”. He’s been increasingly taking on songwriting duties for original material on a forthcoming second album. One of his tracks, I Want My Now, is inspired by his friendship with Gerry Conlon of the Guildford Four, who spent 15 years in a British prison after being wrongly convicted of an IRA pub bombing, which illustrates how Depp’s fame has enabled him to engage with people with stories to tell. His original impetus for joining the group was to rediscover the camaraderie you get in band life, something he’d lost on his way to movie stardom.

“The Hollywood Vampires was never meant to be a supergroup,” says Depp. “It was, ‘Let’s be a bar band. Let’s do these songs by people we admire.’ It’s an opportunity to turn young people on to, say, 7 and 7 Is by [Sixties LA folk rockers] Love.”

Where, then, is rock’n’roll going, if it is left to men in their fifties, sixties and seventies to soundtrack teenage rebellion?

“It’s a classic form of music now,” says Joe Perry with a shrug of resignation. “There are so many great songs out there, sometimes I wonder, why bother writing new ones? We’re a garage band. Johnny’s studio is in a garage, actually.”

“My pet peeve is that young bands are so introverted,” says Cooper. “They want to look like everyone in the mall. They don’t want to scare anyone. They sing about things that are safe. Where’s the swagger? Where’s the sex? Rock stars are meant to get out there and shake their butt. You should think: man, this is fun. I will never be this age again. I look good, I sound good, the girls are crazy about me. I tell young bands: don’t tell me about politics or pollution. Tell me about your girlfriend. Rock’n’roll is an attitude. It is as close to a biker band as anything. For our generation, that’s what it was all about.”

All three “principals” in the Hollywood Vampires, as tour management lingo has them, have kids in bands. Johnny Depp’s 16-year-old son, Jack, has a band called Clown Boner. “It is one of my proudest moments,” says his father. Joe Perry’s sons Adrian and Tony were in an outfit called TAB the Band. “They put out great records and s**t, but they didn’t stick with it and one of them went off to be a lawyer,” he says, heavy with parental disappointment. Alice Cooper’s son Dash has a heavy rock outfit called Co-Op. “They’re good. They just had a No 5 hit in the US.”

When our time comes to an end, Johnny Depp doesn’t want to stop talking. He tells me he has discovered the joy of Jack Daniel’s and cola in a can. “You can get it from the 7-11,” he enthuses. But there is a photoshoot to get through and a birthday party to prepare for, which Depp says he is not looking forward to. “I am as old as Methuselah,” he proclaims, although he actually has a way to go: that biblical patriarch died at the age of 969. Before they are whisked away by a small army of employees I ask these three no longer young men, each of them so clearly in love with the spirit of rock’n’roll, if they were president for a day, what would they do?

“I would triple the teachers’ salaries,” says Alice Cooper. “I would get a key to Area 51,” says Joe Perry, referring to the classified air force base in the Nevada desert. “Who killed the Kennedys? I’d see the real s**t. Everything would work after that.”

“I would do the exact opposite to what the majority of presidents have done,” says Johnny Depp. “Mostly, though, I would sit in a room and think.”

He thinks about this for a moment.

“I would think quite a lot.”

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:37 pm

:thankyou: Theresa! :kiss:

I couldn't get the article to open for me.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread post by Theresa » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:39 pm

SnoopyDances wrote::thankyou: Theresa! :kiss:

I couldn't get the article to open for me.
Yeah, it's a subscription-only site, unfortunately.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:03 am

Thank you so much for posting that - a good interview, and I like the journalist's comment that he's sees Johnny for what he is. I also love the sly dig at how the DV allegations disappeared.

Apparently Johnny is going to be in Rolling Stone in the July issue.

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:58 am

Depp doesn’t have a main band to take him away from the Hollywood Vampires, although he does have what he refers to as the “day job”. He’s been increasingly taking on songwriting duties for original material on a forthcoming second album.
So - Johnny can act, play music, write, compose, paint - what can't he do :truefan: :loveshower: :cloud9: ?
Oh yeah, dance :love: At least according to himself :flirt:

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:59 am

:applause: Great Review from Birmingham Live about the Birmingham concert!

Genting Arena - Johnny Depp, Alice Cooper and Joe Perry rocked - review and set list

Johnny Depp, Alice Cooper and Joe Perry were electric on stage in Birmingham

BY FIONNUALA BOURKE
08:19, 17 JUN 2018

They promised they were going to “blow people away” when they announced their world tour in February.

And a supergroup concert starring international sex symbol Johnny Depp, Alice Cooper and Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry was never going to be a quite affair.

It was edgy, electric, exciting – uplifting – and amazing.

A highlight was Depp’s rendition of David Bowie’s Heroes, his rasping voice delivering the lyrics with sincerity, intensity – and coolness.

The Genting Arena was thundering with noise and atmosphere – just to welcome the trio of rock and Hollywood royalty onto the stage for the opening night of their short UK tour.

Crowds had travelled from around the world to see the superstars, with some paying £1,000 a time for a personal photo opportunity with their heroes.

Concerns were raised for Depp earlier in the tour after he was pictured in St Petersburg – with some saying he looked pale and unwell with his hair covered by a large baseball cap.

He looked good on Saturday night wearing a baseball cap and lots of bling.

The hellraisers rock up 192 years between them – with Depp being the youngest at 55 year-old.

But that did not stop them from delivering an truly impressive performance of their own songs – My Dead Drunk Friends and Raise the Dead – along with the celebrated covers of their heroes, including Break on Through from The Doors and the Ace of Spades from Motorhead,

If you don’t know already, the band was formed to honour the rock stars who died from excess in the 1970s.

You got to join the original Hollywood Vampires by out drinking all the others, upstairs at the Rainbow Bar & Grill on the Sunset Strip.

Apparently today’s Hollywood Vampires have ditched the drinking. And fair play to them for carrying on the tradition of those hedonistic days through music.

The supergroup’s album featured guest appearances by Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl and Slash, among others.

The Genting Arena’s line up included musicians from Cooper’s own band and Aerosmith and Ozzy Osbourne sidemen.

Big names have appeared at Vampire’s gigs unannounced and Ian Hunter was in town to join the trio singing another Bowie track All The Young Dudes.

With knock out performances by The Darkness and The Damned kicking the night off, Birmingham was blessed with a night of rock royalty like no other.

Setlist

I Want My Now

Raise The Dead

I Got A Line On You

7 and 7 Is

My Dead Drunk Friends

Five to One/Break On Through (to the Other Side)

The Jack (AC/DC cover)

Ace of Spades

Baba O'Riley

As Bad As I Am

The Boogieman Surprise

I'm Eighteen

Combination

People Who Died

Sweet Emotion

Bushwackers

Heroes

All The Young Dudes

Train Keep A Rollin

School's Out (with Another Brick in the Wall)

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:23 pm

:rosegirl: Thank you for improving my post, moderator! :namaste:

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread post by Joni » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:48 pm

Ruby Begonia wrote: :rosegirl: Thank you for improving my post, moderator! :namaste:
You're welcome, Ruby Begonia. :hatsoff: Thank you for posting it! :grin2:

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:21 am

Review: Hollywood Vampires at the Manchester Arena
Katie Fitzpatrick watches the hedonistic rock bloodsuckers - and it's all horribly good fun...

It’s hard to imagine a band with more star power than one containing two bona fide rock icons and an A-list movie star.

But here we have the Hollywood Vampires, a supergroup formed in 2015 by shock rock icon Alice Cooper, Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry and the Oscar-nominated Johnny Depp as a tribute to late friends, some who have died as a result of rock and roll excess.

Legend has it you were allowed to join the original Hollywood Vampires club, formed by Cooper in the 70s, by out-drinking all the other members at the Rainbow Bar and Grill on Sunset Strip. Past members of the lair include Keith Moon, Marc Bolan and John Lennon.

And now the past hedonism is continuing through the music.

Our rock bloodsuckers swoop onto the stage to give us life with the pounding I Want My Now and Raise The Dead and their very own shanty My Dead Drunk Friends with the charming chant “we drink and we fight and we puke and we puke and then we die” as photos of rock legends are played out to us on the big screen in black and white.

Upbeat cover songs include The Doors’ Break On Through (To The Other Side), Ace Of Spades by Motörhead and Aerosmith’s goosebump-inducing Sweet Emotion.

Depp, who has just turned 55, but actually seems much younger, plays rhythm guitar and croons backing vocals. And he adds star power along with riffmeister Perry, 67, and charismatic commandeer Cooper, 70, as the trio gleefully strut the stage.

Alice, brandishing his famous walking cane and occasionally the maracas, hisses “we’re the Vampires,” by way of introduction. Enough said.

Pirates of the Caribbean star Depp has recently hit headlines for sparking concern among fans who have remarked that he’s appeared “ill” and “gaunt”.

But far from it, I can assure you Mr Scissorhands looks in fine fettle indeed here in Manchester, and like he’s having the absolute time of his life as smiles, applauds and waves in appreciation for all the cheers from the crowd, including Hairy Biker Dave Myers co-presenter of radio’s the Hairy Rock Show who had his own queue for autographs and selfies before the show started.

Depp deftly takes the lead on the rip-roaring song People Who Died by the Jim Carroll Band, and sounds oh-so-cool.

“I’ve been a villain now for centuries but this next song is about a hero,” says Cooper as Depp takes the lead again for an impressive, and rather moving, cover of David Bowie’s Heroes.

Then they stomp back on stage for Cooper’s anthem School ‘s Out.

Here’s hoping that this super group, like vampires, are immortal because it’s all horribly good fun.

Setlist
I Want My Now
Raise the Dead
I Got a Line on You (Spirit cover)
7 and 7 Is (Love cover)
My Dead Drunk Friends
Five to One / Break On Through (to the Other Side) (The Doors cover)
The Jack (AC/DC cover)
Ace of Spades (Motörhead cover)
Baba O'Riley (The Who cover)
As Bad As I Am
The Boogieman Surprise
I'm Eighteen (Alice Cooper cover)
Combination (Aerosmith cover)
People Who Died (The Jim Carroll Band cover)
Sweet Emotion (Aerosmith cover)
Bushwackers
Heroes (David Bowie cover)
Train Kept A-Rollin' (Tiny Bradshaw cover)
School's Out (Alice Cooper cover with Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 by Pink Floyd snippet)

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Lots of pics if you click the on the link.

Hollywood Vampires and The Darkness, Genting Arena, Birmingham - review and pictures

By Kirsten Rawlins | Birmingham entertainment | Published: Jun 17, 2018

Johnny Depp, Alice Cooper and Aerosmith’s Joe Perry gave Birmingham fans a show to sink their teeth into when they played as Hollywood Vampires on their first-ever UK tour.

The supergroup received support from The Damned and The Darkness at the Genting Arena show, which attracted thousands of fans - many of whom were dressed in Alice Cooper-like attire and make-up for the occasion.

The Darkness gave a stellar performance as the warm-up act, with a 45-minute show made up of hits, fan favourites and newer tracks.

Among the highlights was a superb rendition of Growing On Me, on which frontman Justin Hawkins - dressed in a white shirt and white flares - showed off his trademark tremendous range and wacky stagemanship.

“Who’s excited to see Alice Cooper?” bellowed Justin.
“Who’s excited to see Joe Perry?”
The glam rock icon then fell silent - provoking laughter from the crowd.
“Me too,” he quipped.

Fans were then treated to numbers such as One Way Ticket and Get Your Hands Off My Woman, before the talented band’s excellent high-energy set was drawn to a close with 2003 hit I Believe In A Thing Called Love, which went down a storm.

It was then time for the main attraction following an interval and, as the lights went down in the packed-out arena, huge cries of excitement came from the crowd as eerie organ notes floated across the venue, followed by wolf howls.

Then on strolled Joe, cigarillo in mouth, followed by the band’s drummer, backing guitarist, keys player and bassist, Johnny Depp and finally Alice Cooper.

Johnny, aged 55, has hit headlines recently over fears he may be unwell due to his ‘gaunt’ appearance.

And though his face looked a little more drawn than we are used to seeing on the silver screen, made-up - with only the very best of lighting - he looked good for his age, if a little haggard.

I do, however, think people easily forget how close the Kentucky-born heartthrob is to reaching 60.

“We are the Hollywood Vampires,” announced Alice, donning a dark velvet coat, frilled white shirt and trademark eye make-up.

“We sing for our dead, drunk friends.”

The story of the Hollywood Vampires began in the 1970s on the Sunset Strip at the Rainbow Bar and Grill’s upstairs bar; a gathering place for the rock stars living in or passing through Los Angeles.

Among those to frequent the club were Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon and Keith Moon - and it was these late icons to whom the band last night paid tribute.

The 90-minute set was filled with covers a-plenty, with some of the group’s original material added in.

The Doors’ Break On Through saw pictures displayed of Jim Morrison, while on Ace Of Spades by Motörhead the band paid tribute to Lemmy Kilmister, with his photos also shown.

Baba O’Riley by The Who saw Alice refer to ‘one of the most beloved undead’ Keith Moon, and The Jack by AC/DC, on which the group remembered Malcolm Young, also featured.

Among the Vampires’ original numbers was As Bad As I Am, which Alice told fans was written by Johnny Depp about his father, which saw Johnny speak a section of the lyrics.

But the Edward Scissorhands idol really shone during the band’s wonderful rendition of David Bowie’s Heroes, on which Johnny’s vocals were outstanding - and incredibly, unexpectedly close to those of the late Jean Genie star’s.

Stop Messin’ Round by Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac, meanwhile, which was also recorded by Aerosmith, saw Joe Perry take over the mic for one song, showing off a wonderful voice with great range and gritty, yet smooth tone.

Joe impressed with his excellent guitar skills on this number too - as well as on many others; even playing behind his head at points.

Another treat for the audience was a surprise, excellent performance from Mott The Hoople’s Ian Hunter, who sang alongside the band on 1972 hit All The Young Dudes.

As the show drew to a close, the audience gave the group a standing ovation, before they returned to the stage for one final number - School’s Out; much to fans’ delight, which merged into a rendition of Pink Floyd’s Another Brick In The Wall.

A fangtastic evening, filled with bloody top-class talent and a-list stars - and one for fans to remember.

Ingrid 3

Unread post by Ingrid 3 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Great reviews :applause2:
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

Jackslady

Unread post by Jackslady » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi everyone, I saw the Vampires at Wembley Arena in London tonight and it was just the most amazing and exciting show.

I wasn’t close to the stage, but was seated around a third of the way back on the side, I had a great view of the entire stage. The band is tremendous, they are all terrific musicians and they have a real energy and power. I am a long time Alice fan and it’s hard to believe he is 70 years old, he is such a wonderful singer and very charismatic. Johnny was fantastic - for someone who is shy he has a lot of confidence onstage and throughout the show he was waving and interracting with the crowd, he was smiling constantly and was clearly having A great time. He was wearing a kind of long, frock tailed coat with lots of stuff dangling off it, and he wore his hair down and with a bandanna that read “lame”. He looked gorgeous - he is every bit as magical on stage as he is on the big screen, he is as handsome as ever. The show had so many highlights, I especially loved Johnny singing Heroes with Alice harmonising, their voices were just fabulous together. The lighting was spectacular and the energy of the show got everyone on their feet, clapping and dancing. It was just a wonderful experience and I feel so lucky to have been able to go, I never in my wildest dreams thought I’d see Johnny in reality or Alice for that matter, have been a fan for 46 years, I was 12 when School’s Out made number one in the U.K.!

I think it is good to see Johnny enjoying something he really loves to do, he had a very warm reaction from the crowd tonight and I hope the tour is bringing him some happiness after this dark time in his life. The recent reports about his health are just nonsense, he looks absolutely fine in every way. :spin: :lovehearts:
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:26 pm

Jackslady wrote:Hi everyone, I saw the Vampires at Wembley Arena in London tonight and it was just the most amazing and exciting show.

I wasn’t close to the stage, but was seated around a third of the way back on the side, I had a great view of the entire stage. The band is tremendous, they are all terrific musicians and they have a real energy and power. I am a long time Alice fan and it’s hard to believe he is 70 years old, he is such a wonderful singer and very charismatic. Johnny was fantastic - for someone who is shy he has a lot of confidence onstage and throughout the show he was waving and interracting with the crowd, he was smiling constantly and was clearly having A great time. He was wearing a kind of long, frock tailed coat with lots of stuff dangling off it, and he wore his hair down and with a bandanna that read “lame”. He looked gorgeous - he is every bit as magical on stage as he is on the big screen, he is as handsome as ever. The show had so many highlights, I especially loved Johnny singing Heroes with Alice harmonising, their voices were just fabulous together. The lighting was spectacular and the energy of the show got everyone on their feet, clapping and dancing. It was just a wonderful experience and I feel so lucky to have been able to go, I never in my wildest dreams thought I’d see Johnny in reality or Alice for that matter, have been a fan for 46 years, I was 12 when School’s Out made number one in the U.K.!

I think it is good to see Johnny enjoying something he really loves to do, he had a very warm reaction from the crowd tonight and I hope the tour is bringing him some happiness after this dark time in his life. The recent reports about his health are just nonsense, he looks absolutely fine in every way. :spin: :lovehearts:
:yahoo: That is so cool, Jackslady! Thanks for your review of the show. :airkiss:

I'm so happy for you.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:53 pm

I was also there. It was utterly amazing - I will write up my thoughts on it tomorrow as it is very late and I'm on a complete high. His interaction with the crowd was incredible. I have been to so many concert - seen real greats - the Stones, U2, Beyonce, loads of others - and I have never seen a star applaud fellow musicians and the audience and wave/acknowledge after EVERY SINGLE SONG. He is just mesmerising to watch. I'll try and order my thoughts overnight but it went so quickly - it was an unbelievable evening.

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:23 pm

Ade wrote:I was also there. It was utterly amazing - I will write up my thoughts on it tomorrow as it is very late and I'm on a complete high. His interaction with the crowd was incredible. I have been to so many concert - seen real greats - the Stones, U2, Beyonce, loads of others - and I have never seen a star applaud fellow musicians and the audience and wave/acknowledge after EVERY SINGLE SONG. He is just mesmerising to watch. I'll try and order my thoughts overnight but it went so quickly - it was an unbelievable evening.
:bluewave2:
Looking forward to your thoughts.
Enjoy the moment and have sweet dreams. Shouldn’t be too difficult. :biggrin: