Pirates 6 with New Jack or No Jack?

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
ForeverYoung

Re: Pirates 6 with New Jack or No Jack?

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:29 pm

AdeleAgain wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:16 am
Whilst every part of this wants me to be true, it could be a rumour started by the opposition so they can say "look, your career didn't suffer, I don't owe you $50 million".

A lawyer friend pointed out to me when he sued, not to expect announcements of any big projects until the case is settled. HIs claim rests on the fact that he lost work, as well as proving that she lied he needs to show harm was done.
The script is still being written so there is a lot of time before a decision is made. I think both Disney and Johnny know there is no POTC without him.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/62229 ... ck-sparrow
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:26 pm

AdeleAgain wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:16 am
Whilst every part of me wants this to be true, it could be a rumour started by the opposition so they can say "look, your career didn't suffer, I don't owe you $50 million".

A lawyer friend pointed out to me when he sued, not to expect announcements of any big projects until the case is settled. HIs claim rests on the fact that he lost work, as well as proving that she lied. He needs to show harm was done.
But harm was done?
With all due respect to your lawyer friend, Adele, and not being a lawyer myself, I think, that that should be easy to show :blush:
He did lose his beloved - by both us and him - role as Jack.
If Disney has finally realised that Johnny was innocent all along, it is certainly not because of anything Ms Heard has said or done, so she still owe him a gigantic apology, at least!

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:03 pm

No but the point is - if say this week Disney announced they are making Pirates 6 with Johnny, and then some other franchise announces he is joining them also ....... if/when he finally gets to court in Virginia, and the defamation case finds in his favour, when it comes to financial settlement, AH's team will make a strong argument that he has not lost very much.

I am talking purely about monetary value here.

It is an entirely academic point. I just pray and pray all this will be over soon, Pirates 6 starts shooting end of 2021 and we can enjoy Fantastic Beast 3 without any carping about him being in the role. And that Warner Bros can put him and Jude Law front and centre of the publicity which is where they should be.

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:14 pm

Unlike many, I don't criticize Disney for thinking about another Pirates movie.
I think it should be possible to make a Pirates movie without Captain Jack but I don't think another actor could play Captain Jack.
They would need a whole new story with new characters.
Disney has asked screenwriters for scripts but none have proceeded. It might have been the script or the expense or another reason for not proceeding.
If Bob Iger disliking Johnny was really a problem, then that problem still exists as Iger will continue to be Executive Chairman of The Walt Disney Company and Chairman of the Board of Directors.

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:03 pm

AdeleAgain wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:03 pm
No but the point is - if say this week Disney announced they are making Pirates 6 with Johnny, and then some other franchise announces he is joining them also ....... if/when he finally gets to court in Virginia, and the defamation case finds in his favour, when it comes to financial settlement, AH's team will make a strong argument that he has not lost very much.

I am talking purely about monetary value here.

It is an entirely academic point. I just pray and pray all this will be over soon, Pirates 6 starts shooting end of 2021 and we can enjoy Fantastic Beast 3 without any carping about him being in the role. And that Warner Bros can put him and Jude Law front and centre of the publicity which is where they should be.
I hear what you are saying but the fact that Disney initially dumped him because of her false accusations caused him great humiliation and his family suffered as well. I don't think this case will settle for anything near what he is asking because she doesn't have that kind of money and he knows that. What he wants for her to admit or apologize that she lied to clear his name and that's never going to happen. If anything, she might admit it in a round about way with a bunch of words such as:

"I am sorry that people did not believe I was abused. I am sorry that I acted upon the advice of my lawyers because I was told I would be evicted and I am sorry that people do not understand the situation I was in. I did what I had to do to protect my integrity and my career from being called a gold digger and a liar under the advice of my lawyers and friends who know what really happened and I will continue to fight for women's rights."

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:10 pm

While I wish JD could put Pirates behind him, I understand how the money would be very helpful to pay the astronomical legal bills he must have. There were a lot of complaints about Keira being in so many scenes of POTC 3 and IMO the actress in 5 was repellant, so I don't think a female "Red" lead would work. Maybe coleads Johnny and Penelope as Jack and Angelica?

Media reported that Disney was slated to pay him $90 million as main character in the 6th. Given the continued controvery over the abuse claims and his rumored role being supporting, his salary for 6 would probably be more in the $20 million range. That would be a $70 million loss for JD.

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:35 am

Ruby Begonia wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:10 pm
While I wish JD could put Pirates behind him, I understand how the money would be very helpful to pay the astronomical legal bills he must have. There were a lot of complaints about Keira being in so many scenes of POTC 3 and IMO the actress in 5 was repellant, so I don't think a female "Red" lead would work. Maybe coleads Johnny and Penelope as Jack and Angelica?

Media reported that Disney was slated to pay him $90 million as main character in the 6th. Given the continued controvery over the abuse claims and his rumored role being supporting, his salary for 6 would probably be more in the $20 million range. That would be a $70 million loss for JD.
Johnny gets a back end percentage in all his contracts of all the marketing so that would help a lot and if they really want him they would give him what he wants because last film grossed over 700 million.

Judymac

Unread post by Judymac » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:06 pm

Ruby Begonia wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:10 pm

In Johnny's U.S. lawsuit the lawyers are probably working on a contingency fee. This means that if Johnny wins they take a percentage of the award. Also in the case against Amber Heard the winning side can ask that the losing side pay attorney fees.

Judymac

Unread post by Judymac » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:24 pm

Hello everyone, I haven't been around for awhile. I think that Disney realized that a Pirates movie without Johnny Depp would be a huge flop. The only reason why people go to see the Pirates movies is to see Johnny Depp as Captain Jack I don't think anyone else could play Captain Jack Sparrow. The way he talks/walks etc are Johnny Depp's creation and can not be duplicated. I think Disney realized that they made a huge mistake. Now they are trying to win him back. I have my doubts about wanting to see him in another Pirates movie. I think the script would have to be really good.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:54 pm

I would just love to give him and everyone else a chance to say goodbye to Captain Jack in a way which honours the character - sailing into the horizon with the Black Pearl; which sort of happened in the last film but given what has happened in real life, I'd love him to give his legacy role a wonderful wrap up.

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:24 am

I wouldn't mind seeing Captain Jack finding a love interest and sailing off into the sunset with her for future adventures. :heartdance:

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:50 am

They could even be super woke and not have a female love interest!!

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:12 pm

Unless it's X-rated, can't imagine an all-female Pirates will be a hit. Margot's Birds of Prey bombed. Maybe it's a tax write-off scheme by Disney accountants? While it says the previously announced reboot penned by Elliott and Mazin is still in the works, I'm wondering if The Sun drug texts from POTC5 Australia filming days revealed yesterday the final nail in Johnny-as-Jack-Sparrow's coffin? If so, I'll be smashing my POTC license plate holder with a hammer.

I'm sure you've all heard about this :censored: by now, courtesy of anti-Johnny Depp The Hollywood Reporter (of course):

Margot Robbie, Christina Hodson Re-Team for New 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Movie for Disney (Exclusive)

This project is separate from the already announced franchise reboot being developed by 'Pirates' scribe Ted Elliott and 'Chernobyl' creator Craig Mazin.

Margot Robbie is setting sail with help from her Birds of Prey writer Christina Hodson.

Hodson has been tapped to write a new, female-fronted Pirates of the Caribbean for Disney, with Robbie attached to star.

While plot details are being kept in Davey Jones’ locker, the project, in early development, is not intended to be a spinoff of the long-running franchise that had pirate Jack Sparrow at its center, but rather a wholly original story with new characters under the Pirates moniker, itself inspired by the long-running attraction at Disneyland.

The new project is said to be separate from the already announced reboot of the popular franchise that has Pirates scribe Ted Elliott and Chernobyl creator Craig Mazin developing the story.

Longtime Pirates producer Jerry Bruckheimer is attached to produce both the Elliott/Mazin project and this new Robbie/Hodson project.

Pirates of the Caribbean is one of the most lucrative film franchises of all time, grossing over $4.5 billion across five feature films. But the Pirates franchise, fronted by Johnny Depp, has shown its age, with the fifth installment, 2017's Dead Men Tell No Tales, coming in with the second-lowest box office of the series ($795 million, unadjusted worldwide) only ahead of original film Curse of the Black Pearl. The studio has been plotting ways to revive the brand with stories from new talent.

Hodson is one of Hollywood's go-to blockbuster writers, with credits that include Transformers spinoff Bumblebee as well as DC superhero projects The Flash, which now has Michael Keaton reprising his famous role of Batman, and Batgirl.

Robbie's recent features include Bombshell and Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood, and she will next be seen in James Gunn's The Suicide Squad sequel.

In addition to collaborating on Birds of Prey, Robbie and Hodson together in 2019 launched the Lucky Exports Pitch Program, a new initiative aimed at getting more female-identifying writers hired by studios to write action-centric movies.

Robbie is repped by CAA, Management 360, AMM and attorney Jeff Bernstein of Jackoway Austen. Hodson is repped by Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment and Ziffren Brittenham.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:56 pm

I wouldn't be writing off anything just yet.

Jerry B recently was asked about Johnny and Pirates and he gave a suitably vague answer - he could easily have used that moment to shut it down and say that it was a reboot and moving on. But he didn't.

The Sun texts cannot have affected this announcement - this would have been planned a while ago.

I still maintain, Disney and Johnny can't reunite over Pirates for as long as the Virginia lawsuit is in play. If they sign him up to Pirates now, whilst it has no impact on the defamation itself, it has a big impact on the $50 million dollars. We all know he isn't ever getting 50 million from her - but that figure is meant to have impact on her.

I agree an all female Pirates is probably not going to quite work - but it could be epic with Captain Jack misbehaving amongst them.