PW Question #17 ~ Final Thoughts

by Michio Kaku

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

PW Question #17 ~ Final Thoughts

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:36 am

One last question before we leave the world of quantum physics and unified theory behind in our stellar dust. Did you enjoy the book? Are you glad you tackled it? Give us a wrap up synopsis on your experience.

Thanks, Noodlemantras for joining us on this adventure! It was definitely a departure from our usual reads and took us to galaxies far, far away. Your insightful answers and humor have carried us through as always. Next up…

Seriously…ahem…I hope you all have your copies of Loser’s Town on the way or on your nightstand. Tidbits start March 20!!!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Re: PW Question #17 ~ Final Thoughts

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:09 am

:yikes: String Theory? Good one Liz! :lol: :lol: As I have said before, I tried to read PW - but could not seem to grasp it. I certainly enjoyed following the discussion and was quite impressed with those who did read and got an understanding from the words of Kaku. I do think I did learn somethings from the book and it certainly gave me alot to think about. Well done! :bouquet:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:14 pm

I didn't read the book but also enjoyed the discussion, quite fascinating :cool:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:24 pm

ladylinn wrote::yikes: String Theory? Good one Liz! :lol: :lol: As I have said before, I tried to read PW - but could not seem to grasp it. I certainly enjoyed following the discussion and was quite impressed with those who did read and got an understanding from the words of Kaku. I do think I did learn somethings from the book and it certainly gave me alot to think about. Well done! :bouquet:

Ladylinn, I wouldn’t want to take credit for that little funny. DITHOT found that one. What a hoot! :lol:

My final thoughts: Every time I hear Kaku’s distinctive voice in the background in the evening (because he seems to monopolize the History Channel) when my DH is channel flipping, I say, “I know that guy! And I’ve studied from him.” It gives me an air of superiority when I say that. :grin: But seriously, I am proud of having made it through the book, even though I know DITHOT’s satirical suggestion for our next book wouldn’t have helped me a bit. :dunce:

GG, I’m glad you enjoyed reading our discussion, and it was nice having you here when you piped in now and then.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:37 pm

Wow, we're at the end of the discussion already? Time just flew by...or did it? After this book, I'm not quite sure what's what! :grin:

It was a very enjoyable discussion, and although the book was occasionally mind-numbing, I still enjoyed reading it. Thanks Liz and DITHOT for taking us to "Space...the final frontier."

Oh yeah, and we can all :highfive: because we 'get' the cartoons about Schrodinger's cat now!

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:01 pm

I haven't been near a computer for most of the discussion, but I loved this book. Clear explanations, funny and insightful interpretations that brought cosmic ideas down to a human scale. And now onto M-theory!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:16 pm

This is another one of these Johnny books that I never would have pulled off the shelf on my own. I am glad that I read it and feel like I learned a lot, but it has just created more whys? A lot of the questions it has me pondering will probably lead me to read more things I would not have before. Johnny is continually broadening my horizons. :grin:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:59 pm

PW opened a new world for me. I would never have read this book if it had not been assigned reading for ONBC. I read it all, but I didn't completely understand a good deal of it. Still, much more actually took root in my brain than I might have imagined at the beginning. And I can't really say that I was any more uncomfortable reading PW than I was reading PE, which I personally found very dry, or On the Road which made no sense to me at all most of the time. When I finished that last page of PW I felt immensely proud of myself for sticking it out and finishing. :bounce: (And I am so glad Loser's Town is an easier book to read!) I purchased 2 sets of the History Channel's Universe series on DVD (no cable in my rural area) and I will continue to watch those episodes. It is all amazing stuff!

Liz, DITHOT, :dillingerhat: , you are to be commended for accepting this challenge and leading us through a fascinating discussion. And as always, my thanks to everyone who participated by answering the questions. It seems to me that Johnny Depp attracts the best and the brightest, and it really shows by the high quality of this book club in his honor.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:23 pm

nebraska wrote: And as always, my thanks to everyone who participated by answering the questions. It seems to me that Johnny Depp attracts the best and the brightest, and it really shows by the high quality of this book club in his honor.

I couldn’t have said it better myself, nebraska. Thanks and congratulations to all who took the challenge and a big :thanks!: to Johnny for continually opening up new worlds to me. :worldhug:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:26 pm

Theresa wrote:Wow, we're at the end of the discussion already? Time just flew by...or did it? After this book, I'm not quite sure what's what! :grin:

:grin: In order for our minds to think slower ;-), we cut this discussion down to 2 weeks instead of our usual month.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:19 pm

Liz wrote:
Theresa wrote:Wow, we're at the end of the discussion already? Time just flew by...or did it? After this book, I'm not quite sure what's what! :grin:

:grin: In order for our minds to think slower ;-), we cut this discussion down to 2 weeks instead of our usual month.

That and we had probably reached our limit of questions we could actually ask and attempt to understand! :lol: Liz and I really weren't sure what we were getting ourselves into here and we also weren't sure who would be up for the challenge of the discussion but you all came through with flying colors as you always do! Thanks, Noodlemantras! :grouphug:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Thank you Liz and DIDHOT for taking the book on in the first place. I enjoyed it although a fair bit went ove rmy head. I shall probably read it again when my brain has caught up a bit with it all (says she optiistically). And I pay more attention to the stars now at least. And thanks to evryone for such a great discussion.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:03 pm

suec, when I stargaze now it does take on a whole different quality even if I don't completely understand what I'm seeing!

Wow! What a ride!

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:16 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:suec, when I stargaze now it does take on a whole different quality even if I don't completely understand what I'm seeing!
So true!
I just finished chapter 5 and I’m loving the book because it sparks my curiosity, sets me to thinking, and makes me want to learn more. I’m very much looking forward to the more philosophical chapters. And I’ll probably read his latest book now, “Physics of the Impossible”.

Thanks for tackling it!!! The discussions and humor were really a great! (I think I’m almost to Schrödinger’s cat. Somehow, after that Quotes thread, I don’t think I’ll be able to read it with a straight face! :lol: )

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:13 pm

I think I liked about half of the book. It seemed to me (and I've returned it to the library, so I can't really check) that it alternated chapters between the philosophical and the mathematical. I liked the philosophical sections, and moved my eyes across the mathematical bits without even pretending I understood. :-?

Return to “Parallel Worlds”