TCD Question #14 - 6 Degrees

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

TCD Question #14 - 6 Degrees

Unread postby Liz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:00 pm

Name one or two of the references to Johnny or other ONBC book selections mentioned in the book.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Re: TCD Question #14 - 6 Degrees

Unread postby gemini » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:36 pm

This is one of those times that I wish I had read the book later because without re reading it I wont be able to recall. I can only think of one but I am sure if I scan the book there are others. La Ponte describes his possessions in a conversation with Corso. He lists an editon of Don Quixote and a Volkswagen. Maybe after a bit of thought I will remember another.
Last edited by gemini on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:36 pm

I'm not sure how to interpret this question exactly, so I'll wing it and find out if I got it wrong. :grin:
First, in the catagory of other books, there's the connection between the subject of Dumas, both here, obviously, and in our last selection, TDB&TB. I believe it was Bauby's interest in Dumas that led to TCD being chosen as a follow-up. (?)
Then, in the catagory of Corso/Johnny, there are the glasses, often sitting crookedly on the nose, and the ever-present cigarette. JD made expert use of those two very familiar props in the movie.
Finally, I think there was a fleeting reference to a Mont Blanc pen somewhere in the story...
I can't wait to read what you real detail-sleuths come up with!!
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:26 pm

Parlez, detail oriented you are :highfive: and you have interpreted the question correctly, as has Gemini. That Mont Blanc pen really surprised me, along with many other connections, which I will save for the rest of you detail-oriented literary sleuths. :investigate:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:32 pm

I thought of a couple more.

In reference to Johnny, Edgar Allen Poe is mentioned and we know Johnny loves to read his stories.

Well you didn't say how many degress we could go :grin: 6?
There are the references from Irene Adler reading Sherlock Holmes on the train which was written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle who was a character in Inamorata.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:54 pm

gemini wrote:There are the references from Irene Adler reading Sherlock Holmes on the train which was written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle who was a character in Inamorata.
Doyle was also in Finding Neverland.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:43 pm

Oooh, good ones! :disco:
How about ~
Nikon was a photographer and so was Katrina (or whatever her name was) in The People's Act of Love. Also her corsair-eunuch-boyfriend-guy used a sabre and Corso had one hanging on his wall.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:25 am

fansmom wrote:
gemini wrote:There are the references from Irene Adler reading Sherlock Holmes on the train which was written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle who was a character in Inamorata.
Doyle was also in Finding Neverland.

I had totally forgotten about that. :dunce:

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:32 am

The Mont Blanc pen was Balkan's.

I am early on in a re-read, and these parts struck me as being Johnny:

Corso described on p12:
...at once caustic and vulnerable,ingenuous and aggressive,made him both attractive to women and sympathetic to men.

La Ponte quotes William Blake on p35 when he says Perfidious Albion

I'm sure I will find many more.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

radwen

Unread postby radwen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:12 am

I didn't remember anything specific until I read some of these posts. However, I do remember that while I was reading I often thought it was almost as if the book was written with JD in mind to play this role. It was definitely very good casting for the movie.

The other thing that kept coming to mind, and I'm not even quite sure why, were similarities to Secret Window. Perhaps it was just the solitary actor with a relationship to books being pulled "through the looking glass" so to speak. Either internal or external events pushing that person to an inevitable conclusion that neither expected or intended. ???
Now Bring Me That Horizon

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:12 pm

Endora wrote: Corso described on p12:
...at once caustic and vulnerable,ingenuous and aggressive,made him both attractive to women and sympathetic to men.

La Ponte quotes William Blake on p35 when he says Perfidious Albion

There's one I didn't see.

I remember thinking the same exact thing when I read that description of Corso.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:21 pm

radwen wrote:I didn't remember anything specific until I read some of these posts. However, I do remember that while I was reading I often thought it was almost as if the book was written with JD in mind to play this role. It was definitely very good casting for the movie.

Like on page 6: "He was half smiling as he sad down--a youthful expression, like that of a cartoon rabbit in a dead-end street." This reminded me of the writers' description of CJS (in the commentary on the POTC DVD) in the scene below. They likened him to Bugs Bunny.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:23 pm

gemini wrote:He lists an editon of Don Quixote

And don't forget that Toledo is in Castile-La Mancha.

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:39 pm

Off topic a bit, but the whole rabbit image that runs through it drove me nuts. I know what he was getting at (the wolf image too), but so forced.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:42 pm

Endora wrote:Off topic a bit, but the whole rabbit image that runs through it drove me nuts. I know what he was getting at (the wolf image too), but so forced.

I thought it tiresome too. But I could sure see Bugs in Jack Sparrow.

Return to “The Club Dumas”