Monday, May 23 — Johnny on BBC Breakfast
Monday, May 23 on ABC — Johnny on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Monday, May 23 at 6 pm PST — Alice Through the Looking Glass US Premiere at the El Capitan Theater in Los Angeles

JP Donleavy doesn't think Ginger Man film will be made

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

vermontfudge

JP Donleavy doesn't think Ginger Man film will be made

Unread postby vermontfudge » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:14 am

Link is to two audio clips of an interview of JP Donleavy, author of The Ginger Man, at the Dublin Writers Festival on June 11. On the second clip, at around 16 minutes in, he says he doesn't think a film of the Ginger Man will ever be made, that its time may have passed something like that. The interviewer at that point says he had earlier spoken of an interesting conversation JP Donleavy had with Johnny, but the two clips are 60 minutes and I haven't listened to all of it, so I don't know what that was about (I just happened to catch the film comment by skipping around)

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0611/theartsshow.html

Here are some pictures of JP Donleavy at the event
http://www.dublinwritersfestival.com/gallery.php

Here's a reference to the event in that Totally Gonzo blog
I met JP Donleavy after the event (briefly) and got him to sign my copy of The Ginger Man. I had a quick second to ask him a question so I enquired as to whether he ever took up Hunters offer to "drop in" if he was ever in Big Sur. The minute I mentioned Hunters name he looked up at me from where he was sitting and said "oh yes" and chuckled to himself and then replied - "No, no, pity, pity," and then laughed again. I had to move off then as there was a HUGE crowd behind me waiting to meet him. For a man of 82 he looks and sounds a lot younger. At the event itself he talked about his book, Johnny Depp and Shane McGowan and various other things. I have a link to where you can hear the whole thing for yourself so I will post that in the blog update ASAP.
http://totallygonzo.2ksite.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12

FANtasticJD

Unread postby FANtasticJD » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:11 am

Many thanks for this. It's a real treasure!

Donleavy mentions Johnny at 21 minutes into part 1. It's the story about JD loving Donleavy's story about the dog which jumps out the 17th floor window.
That Man to Man, the world o'er,
Shall brothers be for a' that
-Robert Burns

vermontfudge

Unread postby vermontfudge » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:23 am

Thanks, fantastic, for finding that!

vermontfudge

Unread postby vermontfudge » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:31 am

I didn't expect Donleavy to sound so New York-y

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:06 am

Perhaps he didn't manage to get Johnny to come to his picnic. Well I for one would be happy if Johnny didn't make the film. But I guess for Donleavy its quite sad to realise it may never be made.

Mrs Pink

Unread postby Mrs Pink » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:50 am

Shame if this film doesn't get made, it's a great study of character but not for everyone.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed - Hunter S Thompson

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:51 am

Thanks for posting that, vermontfudge. It's a shame if true. :-/
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:46 pm

Interesting clips! I listened to both. I'm sorry that he doubts it will go to film. I would have loved to have seen Johnny as Sebastian Dangerfield. :bawl:

Thanks, vermontfudge for posting the links.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Angelina

Unread postby Angelina » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:36 pm

Liz wrote: I would have loved to have seen Johnny as Sebastian Dangerfield. :bawl:

Me too. It would be very sorry, if this film won't get made. But to start the film is such hard thing. Johnny last time often says in his interview - "this film was made ten years" or "eight years". The strikes don't help to the process absolutely. :-/
It seems to me, Johnny certainly would make this film, if he could.
I don't think I have any enemies, really. The scariest enemy is within, allowing yourself to conform to what is expected of you~ Johnny Depp, PE junket in Japan

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:03 pm

Angelina wrote:
Liz wrote: I would have loved to have seen Johnny as Sebastian Dangerfield. :bawl:

Me too. It would be very sorry, if this film won't get made. But to start the film is such hard thing. Johnny last time often says in his interview - "this film was made ten years" or "eight years". The strikes don't help to the process absolutely. :-/
It seems to me, Johnny certainly would make this film, if he could.

So many films, so little time. :-/
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

vermontfudge

Unread postby vermontfudge » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:38 pm

So many films, so little time.
Yeah, Liz.
That's why these darn strikes are so :censored: frustrating. Movies take so much time, he's getting older, the whole movie star thing seems to be changing, he should be making movies 24/7! Well most of the time anyway. So many interesting opportunities, and these darn strikes just frittering time away. :bawl:

Return to “The Ginger Man”