It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:34 am 

What an ambitious choice! I read it a long time ago, not sure if I still have a copy or if I will need to purchase another. The book was excellent and Corso is one of my favorite Johnny characters. This is going to be great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:57 am 

:applause2: Good choice

Count me in. :cool: I've never read it, but enjoy when the ONBC books tie-in to the movies I am already familiar with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:06 am 

Great! :bounce: I read it last month, can't wait to read your comments about it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:07 am 

Interesting choice. I'm reading The People's Act of Love at the moment, just to give an indication of how far I'm behind. I'll see what I can do. Would love to join in... again. :-/

EDIT: I've just ordered it so once I've left the Russian revolution, I'll get into the occult.
The other day my husband asked me where I get all my whacky choices in books from nowadays. I prefer to use the adjective 'interesting'.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:03 pm 

They are definitely "interesting", Anna! There's just no telling where we will end up here!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:09 pm 

I've always steered clear of this one because I have written a fair bit of Corso fic and have grown into my own version of him. So this is going to be quite a challenge! The few bits I have read make me think the character is going to be very different.

Good choice, though. It's good to have books that you wouldn't otherwise read, isn't it.

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:18 pm 

Endora wrote:
I've always steered clear of this one because I have written a fair bit of Corso fic and have grown into my own version of him. So this is going to be quite a challenge! The few bits I have read make me think the character is going to be very different.

Good choice, though. It's good to have books that you wouldn't otherwise read, isn't it.

I was wondering where you were on this one! Glad you're taking it on. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:34 pm 

Oh sheesh :lol: !
I have wanted to read this book for months but for some reason I haven't done just that so far.
:thanks!: for finally giving me a reason to open this book and start reading! :lol: :bounce:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:14 pm 

Go for it, Moonlight! I hope you will join us for the discussion! :cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:32 pm 

It is fun just reading everyones opinion on reading.

Inthezone says;
I am also in the midst of reading Public Enemies and the John Dillinger story. I'd better take a beach vacation soon to catch up on all this reading material! It's fun to read with a purpose though.

I can see you are hooked. I am only laughing with you because I just finished reading those books too and recognize the symptoms of being a Noodlemanta.

Endora says: Good choice, though. It's good to have books that you wouldn't otherwise read, isn't it.You ladies (or should I say Johnny) have had me reading quite a few books that I wouldnt have read on my own. I can't say that I have read any that I ended regretting yet though.

Anna says
I'm reading The People's Act of Love at the moment, just to give an indication of how far I'm behind. I'll see what I can do. Would love to join in... again.
I started on the Johnny list and skip around to cover the ONBC book of the moment and read the others in between like you are doing. ( Plus my favorite un Johnny related books) I have found that finishing may be impossible because Johnny keeps reading. :lol:

But Liz makes the most important point for me:
I’ve been in book clubs for so many years now (I think 13) that I can’t read a book just for the pleasure of reading a book. I have this compulsion to discuss it with someone else.
I still read for pleasure but I love the books much more that I get to discuss. As we have said before, as a group you get so much more out of the book.
Yes inthezone...... I am hooked too!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:07 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Yes, Gemini, it is interesting to read what everyone has to say about books. ONBC's choices are definitely some I would not have chosen on my own. But that just shows how unaware I am of all the possible literary choices out there. My local book club also chooses some I would never have read on my own. Reading outside my comfort zone definitely has broadened my knowledge and encouraged me to think outside the box.

Endora, I'll be interested to hear your point of view on this one.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:10 pm 
JDZ Moderator

lizbet wrote:
As much as I don't like giving "the dark side" anymore thought than necessary - I must say that The Ninth Gate is one of Johnny's most intriguing movies for me so am eager to have ONBC help sort things out! So many questions so few answers!

That being said - is there a particular edition of TCD which is better than the other and how do I know for sure that I'm ordering an English translation (will be using amazon.ca)? Any help greatly appreciated.

Lizbet, long time no see. :wave:

I'm sorry I didn't answer this sooner. I forgot to go back to it. :blush: The edition below would be the one.

http://www.amazon.ca/Club-Dumas-Arturo-Perez-Reverte/dp/015603283X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210302364&sr=1-1

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:09 pm 

Thanks for the edition info and hello back at you Liz! Have been reading for 'distraction' not anything 'depp' these days - not that Johnny isn't distracting but with a gall bladder that's failing me (waiting for surgery perhaps by end of year for my lovely collection of stones) mindless who-dunnits seem to do the trick :-/ There's a stack of ONBC titles on my shelf waiting until I feel better but I thought I'd give TCD a try and at least read along and peek at your postings now and again.

Has anyone read The Invention of Hugo Cabret the children's book IN will be producing? Sounds like a fun summer read that I could share with the kiddies in my life. After all who wouldn't want to live in a wall in a Paris train station fixing clocks!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:34 pm 

lizbet wrote:
Thanks for the edition info and hello back at you Liz! Have been reading for 'distraction' not anything 'Depp' these days - not that Johnny isn't distracting but with a gall bladder that's failing me (waiting for surgery perhaps by end of year for my lovely collection of stones)
Sounds too uncomfortable! Why such a long wait?

lizbet wrote:
Has anyone read The Invention of Hugo Cabret the children's book IN will be producing? Sounds like a fun summer read that I could share with the kiddies in my life. After all who wouldn't want to live in a wall in a Paris train station fixing clocks!?
I'd never heard of it til the IN announcement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:22 pm 
JDZ Moderator

fansmom wrote:
lizbet wrote:
Thanks for the edition info and hello back at you Liz! Have been reading for 'distraction' not anything 'Depp' these days - not that Johnny isn't distracting but with a gall bladder that's failing me (waiting for surgery perhaps by end of year for my lovely collection of stones)
Sounds too uncomfortable! Why such a long wait?

lizbet wrote:
I'd never heard of it til the IN announcement.

Interesting. :lol:

Lizbet, I'm sorry to hear you are ailing. You had best take care of that. :-/

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next