It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Public Enemies Question #1 ~ Johnny as Dillinger
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:49 am 

Lucky Liz and Ma DITHOT would like to make you a member of our Noodlemantra gang! :ONBC:

We won’t be robbing any banks or kidnapping any rich folks :pirategunshot: but we do hope to have some fun along the way and stay one step ahead of the G-Men :investigate: as we discuss Bryan Burrough’s, Public Enemies!

So…just for fun, choose your Public Enemies nickname and tell us why you chose it (if you want to). Even if you don’t feel the need for an alias we hope you will join the discussion anyway! :bounce:

Sharpen your pencils...here’s the first question… :writer:

Why do you think Johnny agreed to the role of Dillinger? What indications do you get from the book that Johnny is perfect for this role?

If you are new to ONBC, we don't have many hard and fast rules, just a few guidelines really. :capnjack:

Please try to keep your answers specific to the question of the day. We have a long way to go and don't want to cover it all at once!
Remember that you can come back and revisit any question at any time. It's not unusual to have a :ohyes: moment later!

Okay...there is one rule at ONBC...and it is the most important one!
There are no wrong answers!
:cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:52 am 

Why do I think Johnny agreed to the role oF Dillinger ?

He most certainly enjoys / feels comfortable with that era... just look at his wardrobe, especially as of late. The shoes, hats etc. While the role is in fact that of a bank robber / criminal, Dillinger was said to be a "nice guy" -- didn't want to kill anyone, so he's really a good "bad guy". :eyebrow:

What indications did I get from the book that Johnny is perfect for the role ?

Aside from the obvious physical features... height, weight, build, he most certainly resembles Dillinger and has the same charasmatic smile. Johnny's earlier years were quite similar to Dillinger's... a hellion teenager, failed marriage.... a real rebel.

As for my nickname... think I need another cup of :morning: and a little time to ponder that.

Last edited by Lucky13 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:17 am 

Lucky13, thanks for starting us off! I think Mann might be able save some wardrobe dollars where Johnny is concerened! :lol:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:24 am 
JDZ Moderator

Lucky 13, thanks for getting this discussion going. All valid points there. I really didn't get it at first--why he chose this role--until I learned Dillinger's story. The role is Johnny all the way. :cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:39 am 

Great Question.

I was also wondering why this particular role.

Liz, I am curious what you are referring to in reference to Dillinger's story (?) I am asking because I am not very far into the book. And although I am enjoying it, I am having a hard time keeping every one's story seperated.

I look forward to reading everyone's answers. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:41 am 

Liz wrote:
I really didn't get it at first--why he chose this role--until I learned Dillinger's story. The role is Johnny all the way. :cool:

When I first started the book, I too was VERY confused with "all the gangsters", and began my research of just Dillinger. The more I read, the more I said " this IS Johnny... in a nutshell".

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:59 am 

I agree - it was the wardrobe! Not to suggest Johnny is that shallow, but ya gotta admit, Dillinger was one snappy dresser. :hatsoff: He was also a gentleman, for all his gangster ways. He was always polite to the people working in the banks he robbed and didn't want to cause them unneccesary worry. (!) I think the role is tailor-made for Johnny. Dillinger was a guy who was a paradoxical hero...charming, hard-edged, practical, and savvy about using the media to his advantage. He had a keen sense of the absurd, obviously. And his reputation ended up preceding him into town. The rock star of his day!

Parlez, alias: 'The Big Bohemian'...aka "BB"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:29 pm 

The rock star phrase crossed my mind too, BB. I'm surprised no one has approached Johnny about playing Johnnie before! He seems to be enamored of all things from that time period and the character just seems to be a perfect fit.

Lucky13, it does get a big confusing at times with all the characters. I found the "family trees" at the beginning of the book to be very helpful.

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:19 pm 
JDZ Moderator

radwen wrote:
Great Question.

I was also wondering why this particular role.

Liz, I am curious what you are referring to in reference to Dillinger's story (?) I am asking because I am not very far into the book. And although I am enjoying it, I am having a hard time keeping every one's story seperated.

I look forward to reading everyone's answers. :cool:

Radwen, by his story, I am referring to what I learned from reading about Dillinger in this book. I was not familiar with him at all prior to this book. But in a nutshell, I’d have to say it’s his Robin Hood persona, mostly. Johnny tends to play the bad boy who’s actually “a good man”. Johnnie Dillinger also appeared to be loyal to his family & friends (as is Johnny), and to treat his girlfriends well. The women were definitely devoted to him. And the public was enthralled by Johnnie as Johnny’s fans are enthralled by him. I don’t think Johnny would be a good fit for any other gangster role. Baby Face Nelson he is not!

BB.....great name BTW.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:28 pm 

I'm interested to hear that many of you from the US weren't that familiar with all the characters. I thought it was just me getting lost in amongst all the gangsters, because I thought you in the US knew about them all as sort of folk heros, maybe like we over here know about Robin Hood. I have found this a hard book to get through, and I'm still struggling with it.

JD as JD? Physical match it seems, and there's the whole outsder thing of course. And the suits and the hats. (It's just the whole prospect of the looming haircut that horrifies me!)

An alias?I'll just stick with being the blonde. :angel:

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:29 pm 

Morning ladies!

As I read this book I kept finding JD in the Dillinger role perfect for him.

A few quotes that reminded me of Johnny Depp,

One picture says "John Dillinger, under arrest at Crown Point, Indiana: Reporters accustomed to hard-eyes Chicago gangsters found the wisecracking Indiana farmboy something new and altogether fresh, as easygoing murderer with a lopsided grin and a gleam in his eye. Their adulatory reviews created a sympathietic criminal whom Northern audiences could root for, setting the stage for a melodramatic manhunt that consumed the nation for four months."

And I loved this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:38 pm 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
I agree, Johnny is very much into this era, so that would be appealing to him, I'm sure. I see Dillinger as being somewhat of a trickster type character, much like Jack Sparrow, someone who uses cunning and charisma as a means to an end, violence only when necessary. I think this attracts Johnny to a character. Multi-dimentional and some complexity to him. I can't wait to see what he does with the role. :cool: Btw, you can call me Too-Tall Tula. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:19 pm 

The Blonde, I was familiar with some of the names as a part of US folklore but certainly not all or in such detail. Not my favorite look but I can deal with the haircut if we have to. Not so sure about the pencil moustache though. :eyebrow:

Raven, the part about the cemetary cracked me up too! I've also read that the marker has been replaced several different times because people keep chipping away pieces as souvenirs.

Too-Tall Tula ( Love it! :biglaugh: ) I like your comparison to CJS!
:cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:07 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
I've also read that the marker has been replaced several different times because people keep chipping away pieces as souvenirs.

I had to chuckle when I read this, but it just further reinforces that even with his ganster history, folks still "liked" him on some level.

As for my nickname.... Lady Red (I'm a redhead).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:56 pm 

Too-Tall Tula, I also saw the similarity with :capnjack:, especially when Burrough describes him as the charismatic escape artist. Dillinger's a bit like a :capnjack: on land (who never seems to do an actual bit of honest pirating when it comes down to hard crime) and Dillinger definitely had the appeal of a Robin Hood. And the same outlook - take what you can. I think Johnny could easily relate to the attack on the suits with thefts from the banks, as a lot of folk could. Shame he killed the cop - but then, sleep with dogs often enough and rise with fleas. But Johnny is going to zero in on the positive, sympathetic elements and there are a lot to find. Certain childhood elements seem similar to his own, such as the rebelliousness, and there is a sense of Dillinger just making some wrong choices, of being unlucky, of being influenced by the wrong people. Both he and Johnny, I think, share the tendency to seek heroes. In Johnny's case they are a lot more positive.
They both are very media savvy, both manipulating the media in ways to suit them. Both have a ready quick wit on occasion. I like the bit about Dillinger being taught to dance _ I hope that appears in the film. :grin:
I also like the bit about the reporters doing a double take when interviewing Dillinger, and he having better diction than theirs. That's pretty similar to Johnny too, who knows what it feels like to be under-estimated.
I think the issue of fame is something they also have in common. In the end, Dillinger's fame became a burden, restricting his lifestyle, despite his enjoyment of the spotlight at times - restrictive enough for him to undertake cosmetic surgery. There are moments in Dillinger's carreer that Johnny could relate to - such as the hoopla associated with the arrest. And then there is the treatment of his death, and the public hunger for a piece of memorabilia, be it a blood-stained cloth or whatever, and the rubbernecking. It reminds me of the discussion we had about Perfume, and the end of that character, people tearing him apart for 'love' of him. I think Johnny maybe would make that kind of link.
Maybe Mae.

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next