It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:19 pm 

ThirdArm wrote:
My Mom grew up during the Depression and grew up in Chicago! She had some real stories to tell about the gangster days, too.

Her family barely survived because they had a small market and was able to make a few ends meet; but I remember her telling me about how bad things were and one day when her dad had to go to work, the only thing to make his lunch was 1 onion and some bread.
Where did your mom go to high school, TA? My dad went to Carl Schurz, in northwest Chicago, which at the time was the largest public school in the country. He was born in 1930 so is too young to remember the Depression, but has quite a few stories about growing up poor in the city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:11 am 

gemini wrote:
Reading this gives me an uncanny feeling with our present day economic situation. I also have parents who lived through the depression who have told me all my life, " You never lived through a depression so you don't know what can happen". The shift from industry jobs to manufacturing jobs then, and knowing we are now loosing manufacturing jobs overseas. The problems then of buying on credit which is a way of life now. The disappearing middle class? Too scary! Bad banking practices, deja vu! Presidential inaction.....Aye Aye Aye.

The pappy shooters, my father still rants about to this day. He spent his youth working in the 3 C's..and still is mean with a hatchet because they cut down a lot of trees. This history cuts too close to home and knowing history repeats itself is not comforting. Oh, and my mom has confirmed that the Dillingers were the rock starts of the day. Sort of like Johnny comparing rock stars and pirates.

We come from the same stock gemini! :cool:
My mother (b. 1917 Still kickin' God bless her :angel: ) and father (b. 1919 d. 1998) grew up in the depression.
The stories are many and of a hard life but of such care for one another..I think we all could use a little wake up call....the USA is the biggest abuser of natural resources etc....I don't want to go down that road.. :-|
I asked my mom about the Gangsters and she said that they were the "rock stars" of the day, :bounce: even in her hillbilly coal mining town they knew of Dillinger and had sightings (just like Bigfoot I guess :lol: ).
BTW my mom was second oldest of 11 (the oldest died during the depression) they had no food no money no clothes etc etc but her mom still had something when the hobo's came around (they lived right on the railroad tracks) maybe just a drink of water from the well but they always had something. :angel:
My mom still is so very proud of her mother as I am of mine....that time made some strong resilient people...May we all be that resourceful and behave with dignity if the time comes! :chill:

He has a way of huddling down under his hat and his totemsBut when the camera was on him, some of the times, he kind of beamed Johnny out It was striking, like one of those magic powers in those hobbit movies.John Richardson Esquire Magazine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:56 am 
JDZ Moderator

Mrs.Nobody wrote:
gemini wrote:
Reading this gives me an uncanny feeling with our present day economic situation. I also have parents who lived through the depression who have told me all my life, " You never lived through a depression so you don't know what can happen". The shift from industry jobs to manufacturing jobs then, and knowing we are now loosing manufacturing jobs overseas. The problems then of buying on credit which is a way of life now. The disappearing middle class? Too scary! Bad banking practices, deja vu! Presidential inaction.....Aye Aye Aye.

The pappy shooters, my father still rants about to this day. He spent his youth working in the 3 C's..and still is mean with a hatchet because they cut down a lot of trees. This history cuts too close to home and knowing history repeats itself is not comforting. Oh, and my mom has confirmed that the Dillingers were the rock starts of the day. Sort of like Johnny comparing rock stars and pirates.

We come from the same stock gemini! :cool:
My mother (b. 1917 Still kickin' God bless her :angel: ) and father (b. 1919 d. 1998) grew up in the depression.
The stories are many and of a hard life but of such care for one another..I think we all could use a little wake up call....the USA is the biggest abuser of natural resources etc....I don't want to go down that road.. :-|
I asked my mom about the Gangsters and she said that they were the "rock stars" of the day, :bounce: even in her hillbilly coal mining town they knew of Dillinger and had sightings (just like Bigfoot I guess :lol: ).
BTW my mom was second oldest of 11 (the oldest died during the depression) they had no food no money no clothes etc etc but her mom still had something when the hobo's came around (they lived right on the railroad tracks) maybe just a drink of water from the well but they always had something. :angel:
My mom still is so very proud of her mother as I am of mine....that time made some strong resilient people...May we all be that resourceful and behave with dignity if the time comes! :chill:

One can only hope, Mrs. Nobody. :hope:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:50 pm 

Parlez wrote:
What Dillinger film starring Warren Oates???

Parlez, here is the movie poster.

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:34 pm 

Oh thank you, Lucky13! How cool! It looks like they assembled an excellent cast...including...Michelle Phillips?! Was this supposed to be her big break-out movie?
If so, I missed it! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:14 pm 

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw "Cloris Leachman's" name too !

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:23 pm 

Cloris Leachman was on the red carpet at Disneyland for the AWE premiere. She looked great!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:40 pm 

She sure was DITHOT !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:49 pm 

Nice pic, Lucky13! You must have been right across the carpet from us. I think I have that picture from the other side! :lol:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3