ONBC’s Next Book Selection ~ Public Enemies

by Bryan Burrough

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

ONBC’s Next Book Selection ~ Public Enemies

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:29 pm

It’s official. The people have spoken and chosen Public Enemies as our next book for discussion. It got 75% of the votes.

We don’t have a definite start date. It will depend on how many tidbits there are and when we start posting tidbits. And that depends on how quickly DITHOT and I can read 600 pages. :lol:

We expect the tidbits to begin sometime between January 2 and the 15th, and the discussion to begin sometime during the week of February 4. We will keep you informed. Happy reading, Noodlemantras. :noodlemantra:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Moonlight

Unread postby Moonlight » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:40 pm

That's great! :bounce:

Now, I have to get my hands on that book in some library in my Christmas holidays! ;-)

Charli
"Johnny Depp really is a cutie." - Satchel, lead guitarist in Steel Panther :heart:

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:01 pm

:bounce: WooHoo!! I didn't vote because I didn't care, but now I do! Excellent choice! I'm getting from the library this week ~ can't wait to begin!
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Lucky13

Unread postby Lucky13 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:21 pm

I ordered my copy from Amazon this morning, so I'm really looking forward to joining the discussions (it's part of my New Year's resolutions).
~ Yah, I wanna take that ride with you!

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:55 pm

I can’t think of a better New Year’s resolution, Lucky13. :cool: Looking forward to you, Parlez and Moonlight joining us. :bounce:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Lucky13

Unread postby Lucky13 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:57 pm

Thanks Liz.... me too !! :cool:

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

Mrs.Nobody

Unread postby Mrs.Nobody » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:00 pm

Wow I may actually finally be able to read this book and get into one of these great discussions!!! :bounce: :cool: AWESOME!
He has a way of huddling down under his hat and his totemsBut when the camera was on him, some of the times, he kind of beamed Johnny out It was striking, like one of those magic powers in those hobbit movies.John Richardson Esquire Magazine

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Can't wait to start reading the tidbits -- I just know Liz and DITHOT are going to do a fantastic job of getting us all sorts of fascinating tidbits about the era. :cool:
Last edited by Theresa on Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:24 pm

Yay! It'll be fun to read up on an era close to Johnny's heart, and I just love Michael Mann's work. So I will hope to imagine how he will film it as I read the book - though I am not terribly creative in things like that! I watched something about Dillinger once. He was a bit like :capnjack: in being able to pull off a few terrific escapes, if memoery serves correctly. But nothing quite on the scale of the flight from the Dutchman with Elizabeth holding on tightly, (rapidly becoming one of my alltime favourite film moments.:blush: )
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:33 pm

I'm glad to see we have a lot of interest and new Noodlemantras! Welcome everyone! :wave: Time for me to start reading... :noodlemantra:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Lucky13

Unread postby Lucky13 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:41 pm

My book arrived today !!!! :bounce: There are some really great photos too! Time to get reading...... :ONBC:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:27 pm

I got mine yesterday, Lucky13, and began reading it today. I only got as far as the maps, but it has already grabbed me. I just need to find some time to sit down with it.

Lucky13

Unread postby Lucky13 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:44 pm

Liz wrote: I just need to find some time to sit down with it.

Tis a busy time of the year...thankfully we have a bit of time after the holidays before discussions begin. I had no idea it was
almost 600 pages :-O. It's a "mini" Shantaram ! :lol:

Glendaleigh

Unread postby Glendaleigh » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:27 pm

Liz wrote:I got mine yesterday, Lucky13, and began reading it today. I only got as far as the maps, but it has already grabbed me. I just need to find some time to sit down with it.

I'm expecting my copy any day now ... I'm seriously anxious to begin PE ... which is the first time in my life that I've said those words!

wino4e

Unread postby wino4e » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Damn... I would have to buy that book now!
And I didn't even finished reading Shantaram :rotflmao:

Return to “Public Enemies”