It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next

Would you rather discuss Public Enemies or The Rum Diary in Februrary?
Poll ended at Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:41 pm
Public Enemies 75%  75%  [ 36 ]
The Rum Diary 25%  25%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 48

Post subject: ONBC Book Poll - Public Enemies or Rum Diary?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:41 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Due to the recent news and confirmation that Johnny will play John Dillinger in the Michael Mann movie, Public Enemies , we now have another book to consider…..

Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-34 by Bryan Burrough

And that has prompted at least one Noodlemantra to ask if we would consider discussing it.

So that brings us to the question we have for you:

Would you rather discuss Public Enemies in February or The Rum Diary?

Keep in mind that we will, at some point, revisit TRD. So no worries there.

Vote here.

The polls will be open through Sunday night.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:01 pm 

Believe it or not my library actually has a copy of "Public Enemies" and thanks to online holds it's mine! I also just got an email that says my copy of TRD has just been shipped! What is it they say - there's either feast or famine - lots of JD related reading over the holidays and well into the new year. Now where's that copy of ST?! Bet you and DITHOT never thought you'd be this up-to-the-minute with your ONBC choices - thanks for keeping us so on track :eyebrow: anyone care to tackle a John Dillinger emoticon!??!?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:08 pm 

My eyes lit up when I read Part-timePoet's post about Public Enemies - my first thought was that it was going to be a great addition to the reading list!

Great idea to run a poll.

I'm the fifth vote for Public Enemies.

***edit - I just ordered the book from Amazon. I hope it doesn't get lost in the Christmas rush!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:15 pm 

lizbet wrote:
Believe it or not my library actually has a copy of "Public Enemies" and thanks to online holds it's mine! I also just got an email that says my copy of TRD has just been shipped! What is it they say - there's either feast or famine - lots of JD related reading over the holidays and well into the new year. Now where's that copy of ST?! Bet you and DITHOT never thought you'd be this up-to-the-minute with your ONBC choices - thanks for keeping us so on track :eyebrow: anyone care to tackle a John Dillinger emoticon!??!?!

I am kind of new in ONBC, but I always wanted to join you someday.
I am now very very interested in "Public Enemies" but I have a certain problem in my English. :blush:
According to my research, this is over 600 pages book.
I know this might not be a suitable place to ask this question but how is the "difficulty" of English in this book?
Do you think it is too hard to read for those who speak not-perfect English?

Currently, Amazon.jp has only one copy of the book left!!!
I have to make a decision, so I will be very happy if I could have somebody's suggestion.
Thanks in advance.

---Johnny Depp---
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:21 pm 

Hi, GAO and welcome to ONBC! :welcome: I'm not sure because I haven't read the book yet. If anyone out there has maybe than can answer your question. I hope you will join us! :cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:26 pm 

If we choose to re-read TRD in February, when will we read Public Enemies? Because of my job, I have difficulty participating in discussions from mid-February through mid-April, so selfishly speaking, I'd rather have the re-read of TRD occur in that time, and the 600-page new book fall after tax season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:58 pm 

I have both so it really doesn't matter but since Johnny is doing Public Enemies first and The Rum Diaries is still pending, it might be nice if we did them in that order. I am happy to be doing both so I'm OK with what everyone else wants. I have jury duty starting Monday so its nice if we decide by Sunday night so I know which book to take along. I hope I don't end up on a jury because I have another puppy who just had surgery that needs me to help him around until he recovers.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:30 am 
JDZ Moderator

GAO, welcome to ONBC. :disco: There are plenty of copies on Amazon here. So maybe it can be sent from here. I thought I should mention that I saw a good deal on Barnes and Noble……after I bought mine on Amazon.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:40 am 

I orderd my book from the library!! I wont be able to join you for the whole discussion but will peek in when I can :bounce:
Thanks Liz and DITHOT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:06 am 

I loved the Rum Diaries, but I have the distinct feeling that it will languish and might never get made. Public Enemies will be refreshing and fun to talk about a book as it's being filmed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:37 am 

I have cast my vote for Public Enemies, mainly because I think new material is better for ONBC than two repeat books in a row.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:57 am 

fansmom, to answer your question...I'm not sure. How the calendar falls will depend on the results of the poll and of course we can't predict any new information that may come our way about IN acquisitions or film roles. Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer right now.

Thanks everyone for expressing your opinion! :cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:00 pm 

I think I'd rather do Rum Diaries first and save the other one til later when he's doing the filming. But it doesn't really matter.

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:39 pm 

First thought when I saw the news: break out the champagne because he's be making a film next year, and it is with Michael Mann. I am so delighted about that! Hard on the heels came: ONBC opportunity and when will we read it?
I voted for Public Enemies because it's new and because with the delay of making TRD, I'd rather postpone the discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:40 pm 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
Well, I've read TRD, so I'm anxious to see what the book Public Enemies is like. It's a tough call Liz-baba and DITHOT-baba, and I'll go with the flow of ONBC, but I did vote for PE.

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next