Wrapping up the Zone's 2007 Birthday Project

Give in Johnny's honor and support a great hospital for children.
part-time poet

Wrapping up the Zone's 2007 Birthday Project

Unread post by part-time poet » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:26 pm

A final word on the Zone’s 2007 Birthday Project:

We raised a grand total of $5,000 for Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital this year. Congratulations and a huge :thanks!: to all who donated in Johnny’s honor.

The process of translating from dollars to British pounds is complicated at best; furthermore, although most of our donations--$4,818 worth--came in to the Zone via Paypal (and were then sent via bank check to GOSH), some of our members donated directly to GOSH, in either pounds or dollars, and those donations came in at different times, so the exchange rates varied over the course of the campaign. This gave our contact at GOSH a real headache, to try to determine an end-total for the campaign in pounds. :-? It is also almost certain that the actual total given by Zone members is higher than GOSH’s records show, since not all of the private donations we heard about from members were tagged as being specifically for the Birthday Project. So we’ll stick to $5,000 as a total . . . it’s simple and easy to remember.

And it’s absolutely amazing. :thud:

Here is an official thank you letter I received from Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital (I have removed some personal information which I wouldn’t want circulating around the Internet):

When I received this letter in late September, I realized that there was one private donation missing from GOSH’s calculations (at least—as I said, there may be others that we don’t know about), so rather than have the official total be “off” by $30, I sent a personal check to GOSH to duplicate that member’s donation. I have just received another letter from GOSH confirming receipt of my check, so now the Johnny Depp Zone has officially donated $5,000 to Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital in honor of Johnny Depp’s birthday.

Woo hoo! :applause: :bouquet:

If you have wondered what your donation might be used for, here is a brochure sent to me by GOSH that sheds some light on that subject:

I am always astonished by the generosity of the Zone’s members. I know how many of us are living on tight budgets and have to choose if we will eat lunch or go to one more matinee showing of Johnny’s latest film. (Ah . . . who needs lunch?) Individually, most Zoners could never hope to give a charitable donation that reached into three figures, let alone four. Now the Zone is very close to having donated $10,000 to children’s charities in the past two years . . . and if you count the donations for hospice bracelets, we are well over $10,000.

You have taken your love and admiration for Johnny Depp and turned it into a way to do good in the world—to bring comfort and help to seriously ill children and their families. It is a gesture worthy of the man who inspires us all. Cheers to all of you, :love: and may you be blessed in return.

Happy Thanksgiving!

:grouphug:

Part-Time Poet
Last edited by part-time poet on Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.
-- J. M. Barrie

Boo-Radley

Unread post by Boo-Radley » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:17 pm

PTP I just wanted to thank you for spearheading the GOSH fundraising drive on behalf of Johnny this year, and for keeping us abreast of all the developments along the way. I'm sure this took a lot of your time and I just wanted to say it's very appreciated. I also wanted to say, to everyone here at the Zone that it is moments like this that make me very proud to be a member our community.

I'm sure that Johnny when he became an actor never imagined that he would serve as an inspiration to so many around the world. So :hatsoff: off to you Johnny for being the warm, kind and generous man that you are, which has inspired us to follow your example.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread post by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:21 pm

Thanks for the update, ptp! What a generous bunch our Zoners are! :flashingheart: Congratulations and thank you to everyone who worked on or donated to the Birthday Project and the hospice bracelet project. Most of all congratulations to the two programs and the children they will be able to help. Great work all around! :highfive:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

AnaMaria

Unread post by AnaMaria » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:24 am

Thank you for this final word and for passing on the letter from GOSH, part-time poet , and most of all: thank you for organizing this wonderful project.

It's touching to see Johnny's name connected to this hospital once again, and heartwarming because it's in such a positive way. :lilyrose:

Bless you Johnny.

Endora

Unread post by Endora » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:11 am

Well said, Boo. And well done everybody.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

H2H

Unread post by H2H » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:23 am

Thanks for posting this update for us. It's amazing what people can do when everyone just contributes a little. And thank you for posting the letter. It's always nice when people say :thanks!:
Ladies....an announcement....I am up for it all the time.

Lucky13

Unread post by Lucky13 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:51 am

H2H wrote: It's always nice when people say :thanks!:
It is very nice indeed !

Many thanks, Part-time Poet for your time and efforts with the wonderful project. It is an honor to have participated and help to make a difference in the lives of these children. :smiliewithhearts:
~ Yah, I wanna take that ride with you!

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread post by KYwoman » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:36 am

Great news! Thanks for the update PtP and your efforts in pulling all this together and thanks to all who participated. A wonderful project, indeed. :cloud9:
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

mytreasure

Unread post by mytreasure » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:13 am

Thank you P-t-P, for keeping us informed. It was so nice to read their letter! The feeling that you get when helping others in need is indescribable. It simply makes your heart sing! Johnny has discovered that and has led others to discover it, too. He's a wonderful human being. :cloud9:

Many thanks to you for starting this birthday project. I hope we can do it every year!!
*Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.*
~Dearest Captain Jack, May your compass always lead you back to us...~

Charlie

Unread post by Charlie » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:35 pm

Many thanks for the update PtP, thanks again for organising it and well done and thank you to everyone. It's a privilege to be a tiny part of something so worthwhile.
Stay true to your path and make a positive difference to the lives of those you touch.

debs

Unread post by debs » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:11 pm

It was lovely to read the letter, thanks for sharing it with us and huge thanks for organising the fundraising campaign. :thanks!:

San

Unread post by San » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:09 pm

Thanks for sharing the letter and the information with us.
Art has to be forgotten: Beauty must be realised ~ ~ Piet Mondriaan (1872 -1944)

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread post by Theresa » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:09 am

Thank you for the final update on this year's birthday project, PTP.

It's very heartwarming to see what we can accomplish when we gather together to honor Johnny. I'm very proud of the Zone for taking the time to help children in need.

:smiliewithhearts:

Moonlight

Unread post by Moonlight » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:54 am

THANK YOU for this last update on the birthday project, ptp!
And :thanks!: soooooo much , ptp, for setting this all up!

Many Thanks and much love to all the Zoners who participated in this wonderful project and helped the children with this heartwarmign gesture! :kiss: :grouphug:

I'm so proud of you, mates! :lilyrose: :bouquet: :smiliewithhearts:

Charli
"Johnny Depp really is a cutie." - Satchel, lead guitarist in Steel Panther :heart:

e_phemera

Unread post by e_phemera » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:03 am

Thank you, part-time poet, for letting us know how it all played out.
Looks like it was a good deal of work for you, and so,
MANY HUGE-ISH THANKS!
It makes me very happy to know that a place like GOSH exists to provide care for children. I'm so proud of The Zone's contribution to support them.

Thanks again, e_phemera
"Between two worlds life hovers like a star, twixt night and morn, upon the horizon's verge."
~Lord Byron[/size]