Bandini Question #14 ~ Svevo & Hildegarde

by John Fante

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Bandini Question #14 ~ Svevo & Hildegarde

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:48 am

What did you think of Svevo’s relationship with the widow, Hildegarde?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:58 pm

What a mess! Two needy people from totally different worlds collide and use each other. Svevo entered Widow H's life feeling totally intimidated by her and badly in need of money and self esteem. Though he felt she victimized him, he left feeling like "a brave and an honorable man." Widow H got the contentment of taking care of a needy guy while getting some quality work done, then 'enticed' him into her bedroom. I don't think there was any level on which they really clicked, but both got something from the relationship. Immoral, but maybe just what each needed at the time? :-?
Both knew it wouldn't last. Neither took others' feelings into consideration. Again, what a mess! :-/
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:20 pm

Betty Sue wrote:What a mess! Two needy people from totally different worlds collide and use each other. Svevo entered Widow H's life feeling totally intimidated by her and badly in need of money and self esteem. Though he felt she victimized him, he left feeling like "a brave and an honorable man." Widow H got the contentment of taking care of a needy guy while getting some quality work done, then 'enticed' him into her bedroom. I don't think there was any level on which they really clicked, but both got something from the relationship. Immoral, but maybe just what each needed at the time? :-?
Both knew it wouldn't last. Neither took others' feelings into consideration. Again, what a mess! :-/

I think you summed it up pretty well. The movie version gave me a slightly different feeling about it all, but for the book, I think you explained it well.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:47 pm

nebraska wrote:
Betty Sue wrote:What a mess! Two needy people from totally different worlds collide and use each other. Svevo entered Widow H's life feeling totally intimidated by her and badly in need of money and self esteem. Though he felt she victimized him, he left feeling like "a brave and an honorable man." Widow H got the contentment of taking care of a needy guy while getting some quality work done, then 'enticed' him into her bedroom. I don't think there was any level on which they really clicked, but both got something from the relationship. Immoral, but maybe just what each needed at the time? :-?

I think you summed it up pretty well. The movie version gave me a slightly different feeling about it all, but for the book, I think you explained it well.

Agreed ~ I think you summed it up very well, nebraska. I'd add that of the two of them Widow H had noone who would be negatively impacted by her behavior whilst Svevo had a wife and family he might have given a thought about. But, of course, we already knew that thoughtfulness wasn't part of Svevo's repertoire, and we learned with Widow H that self-restraint wasn't either. :mad:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:15 pm

I think you’ve all made very good points. I’d like to add that I think she was motivated by her loneliness and boredom with her life. I think Svevo was a distraction, toy or pet to her. I think he was impressed with her money, her prestige and his ability to attract her.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:32 pm

I also agree with Betty Sue's summing of the situation. I did see a couple other things in their relationship. Svevo felt that her status rubbed off on him.
From now on Helmer the banker and all his creditors had better be careful. Bandini had powerful friends too.

Sveve felt the affair was none of his doing. Saying if Maria asked he would have lied.
Not telling her was doing her a favor--she with her rosaries and prayers. Thou shalt not commit adultry.. It was the widows doing. He was her victim.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:47 pm

I thought they were both needy in different ways. Svevo got his male ego boost and some nice material things. Hildegarde got companionship and maybe a boost to her female ego. I don't think either cared a whit about the other. Where's that rolling pin girl??
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Wait Until Spring, Bandini”