It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: OTR QUESTION #28
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:11 am 
JDZ Moderator

On Pg. 211 Sal relays, “I told Dean that the thing that bound us all together in this world was invisible, and to prove it pointed to long lines of telephone poles that curved off out of sight over the bend of a hundred miles of salt.”

What is that invisible thing that binds us all together?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Invisible links
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:36 am 

It has to be a shared purpose or reason; after all, think why we are all drawn to posting on these boards. Clearly our man was the start of it, but in a way it's moved on to a shared understanding of where we want to go and want to achieve, that is, to move onwards in our various lives in an honest way that in a sense is a reflection of what we see in JD.

Sorry so posey and wordy, but it's what I feel!

Solace in the flood

Post subject: Re: Invisible links
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:58 am 
JDZ Moderator

Endora wrote:
It has to be a shared purpose or reason; after all, think why we are all drawn to posting on these boards. Clearly our man was the start of it, but in a way it's moved on to a shared understanding of where we want to go and want to achieve, that is, to move onwards in our various lives in an honest way that in a sense is a reflection of what we see in JD.

Very beautifully said, Endora, and so true. :grouphug:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:08 am 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
I think it is our humanity that is the invisible thing that binds us. We are all more alike than we are different! :chill:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:46 am 
JDZ Moderator

KYwoman wrote:
I think it is our humanity that is the invisible thing that binds us. We are all more alike than we are different! :chill:

I was thinking that maybe it was our souls or spirits. But I think I like your answer better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:11 am 

That’s a hard question for me. I completely agree that a common humanity binds us all together but on a personal note I feel like I’m living in the world that has literally gone insane over the last few years. It has become so polarized and there are some groups of people in present day who have become so inhumane that it can be difficult to sense that common bond. I hope someday I will feel that connection with all other humans beings again. I do believe the common bonds of humanity can be experienced reading Kerouac or Saroyan because of their humility and their openness to that invisible thread. It's why I agree with JD that Kerouac's words are "holy". However I find it can be difficult to experience a common humanity with those who have closed themselves off from it.

There are groups of people in my life that I connect with regarding one area of life but are totally disconnected from in other areas ie: ideas for raising kids, fellow dog lovers, people who I connect with politically, and on and on. Then a number of years ago, I read an interview with someone with whom I completely at home and the more interviews I read, the more at home I felt. His own essays gave me a comfort zone I never thought existed. Music, art, politics, literature, life, dogs, religion, children, no matter what the subject was, he made perfect sense to me , including his inconsistencies and also when he acknowledged his own imperfections. His favorite books and authors became my own “roadmap”. I guess that’s why I’m here.

Post subject: OTR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:26 am 

Yes I agree and will post an edited version of what I've written elsewhere about OTR

Time passed, career, house, child, more career, get ill, get well, bigger house, faster car, child,-you get the picture. All through this, the books move with me, and at times I can see the old copy of On The Road sitting there on the shelf, hemmed in but still fizzing and spitting to get my attention. For years I have avoided taking it off the shelf, kidding myself no time but deep down I know I’m lying….it’s because I’m scared that I might find that the book itself is a Dean Moriarty, it may not be what it seems, a phoney, all the rules I though I had based on quicksand. Still it buzzed and crackled, still I couldn’t look.
Time passes again, and I find that a man I admire to the point of obsession, an actor and artist whose sensitivity and integrity have led him down paths others avoid has taken this book to his heart. Ok, I think, I can do this, I won’t avoid it, he didn’t. I almost feel pain as I take it from the shelf. Inside, I find that each end of chapter gap is filled with copied out poems, Ginsberg, Corso, Ferlinghetti-oh the trains of thought of that time. The book’s energy makes me catch my breath, read it in one, wow, a result there!

Yes, I’m glad the actor encouraged me to recapture my On The Road spirit, and thank God the book was a Sal not a Dean. Like the actor, I’m glad I followed the book’s ideas and continued as straight down the line as I could.

(thanks, Liz, for organising the OTR discussion, I haven't posted til now, but have lurked with great interest.)

Solace in the flood

Post subject: Common Bond
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:29 am 

This is one of my favorite questions! (And no, I didn't write it!) :bounce:

There is the obvious answer that technology binds us together in ways other generations could never have imagined. Our ability to communicate and share information has made the world a smaller place. As we get to know each other across the miles we realize that we do share common bonds even though we may be living in very different circumstances. As you suggest Naomi there are people in the world that we find are very difficult to understand or connect to but I think the common bond is still there. Unfortunately, not all of the things that bind us together are good and there will always be stronger and weaker connections. JD has obviously been a very strong connection for those of us reading and answering this question. I happened upon his Inside the Actor's Studio interview (for about the 10th time) last night and felt that connection all over again. :cloud9: I am so glad our technological age allows us to share our common bond here at the Zone! :grouphug:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: Invisible links
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:28 pm 

Endora wrote:

Loved what you said here. I agree 100%. To just look at him you see the honesty in his eyes.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject: Re: OTR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:46 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Endora wrote:
Yes, I’m glad the actor encouraged me to recapture my On The Road spirit, and thank God the book was a Sal not a Dean. Like the actor, I’m glad I followed the book’s ideas and continued as straight down the line as I could.

I'm glad that you were able to recapture that OTR spirit, Endora. I'm also glad it was a Sal and not a Dean. Sorry everyone, but I am partial to Sal/Jack.

And I have to say that I'm blown away by everyone's answers to this question. :thumbsup: Such deep thoughtful answers. And I agree with all of them. :grouphug: :bounce: :nana:

Post subject: Re: OTR QUESTION #28
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:20 pm 

Liz wrote:
On Pg. 211 Sal relays, “I told Dean that the thing that bound us all together in this world was invisible, and to prove it pointed to long lines of telephone poles that curved off out of sight over the bend of a hundred miles of salt.”

What is that invisible thing that binds us all together?

Companionship with those with common interests.......a desire to learn and discover truth and the beauty in everything around us, in all the little things. The comfort I feel here with all of you is so important to me. I do not have it in my everyday life.....that peace and comfort. Technology has enabled those that are like minded to come together and I am so grateful for that. And JD is the common thread that brought us all here. The thing that binds us all together.......love, honesty, friendships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:37 pm 

[quote="Naomi"]

There are groups of people in my life that I connect with regarding one area of life but are totally disconnected from in other areas

I understand what you are saying, but it is true that we are all complex multi-faceted human beings, and the older I get and the more experiences I have, the more I delight in learning about the differences. I am wife/mother/grandmother/friend/employee and more. I have friends who share my passion for my animals, friends who love to read, friends who follow my favorite Native American band around the region from performance to performance. I have friends who share my grief at the loss of a child, I have friends who share my hobby of rubber stamping... the list goes on and on. And though our lives may intersect in those passions, we may be worlds apart in the rest of our lives. We are all like circles whose arcs meets to one degree or another but is never completely swallowed by the other, creating even more detailed and beautiful patterns within ourselves, although our centers may be on completely different planes. It is in that variety, in learning to respect those differences, that I have found myself becoming more complete. My uncle, when speaking of his wife, used to say "If we are both alike, one of us isn't necessary." I guess I believe that.

But at the core, under all the layers of "self" we create as we live, there is still some basic human "being" inside each of us that makes us all related.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:51 pm 

Quote:
We are all like circles whose arcs meets to one degree or another but is never completely swallowed by the other, creating even more detailed and beautiful patterns within ourselves, although our centers may be on completely different planes.

Nebraska, that is a beautiful way to put it! Reminds me of a wonderful, cozy quilt.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]