TBIMG Question #23 ~ Similarities

by Dr. Madhi Obeidi and Kurt Pitzer

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:02 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Okay, so maybe I should have asked if there was a book/role that you couldn't relate to this one? :lol: No one has mentioned Edward, Spencer or Willy yet. :grin:

Ok, I'll bite........Edward Scissorhands started out as an idealistic innocent and then he was confronted with real life wickedness and he had to make adjustments to his beliefs in order to protect his loved one. :chill:

suec

Unread postby suec » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:31 am

I'll bite too. Willy: impact of parents. Dr Obeidi shows how he has been influenced by his parents and qualities he has gained from them. Willy also has been influenced by hs father too. In addition, pride in hs work. The only thing I can think of with Spencer is great instincts although that is stretching it a bit!

The other one I am reminded of a bit on further reflection is Martin Finch. This is because he is someone who has made it good, made a success of himself, shows his potential, and then is entrusted with a job, which then doesn't go quite according to plan and events backfire on him. There is also the theme of having to account for himself at regular intervals and coming in for some heat and criticism. Of course, he is distracted from his objective in a way that Dr Obeidi isn't.

And then there's Gilbert, with his sense of duty.

I've been trying to synthesize some of these and two half-remembered quotes are knocking around in my head. One is a discussion about the extent to which Johnny plays damaged people, and the other is a fan's comment that Johnny repeated: thanks for playing all those poor people. I think Dr Obeidi is another of those poor people; he finds himself in a nightmarish stituation but who does the best he can. Another recurring theme is the theme of the true story that nebraska picked up on.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:11 am

I knew you guys could do it! :cool:

suec, I think there is something to that. His characters do seem to have that quality.

How about Ed Wood? Anyone?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:21 am

Let's see, Ed Wood could do a film in a short period of time, as I recall, and Dr. Obeidi cut back the deadlines to very short times for the size of the project.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:30 pm

Linda Lee wrote:Great comparisons, everyone. The only one I've come up with so far is Dean Corso confronts the devil, Dr. Obeidi confronts Saddam Hussein.

:lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:40 pm

Whereas Ed Wood is an artist and Dr Obeidi a scientist, both show real pride in their work. "For a scientist, such a moment is a pinnacle of achievement. I imagine it is on a par with the rush a soccer player experiences after coring a winning goal, or what a mountain climber feels after scaling Mount Everest" (or a film director basking in the film at his premiere, and reflecting that this will be the film he'll be remembered for.) Both are successful at being quite secretive, too.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:04 pm

nebraska, Linda Lee and suec :cool:

Spencer?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Bomb in My Garden”