It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Please click here to view the forum rules

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: SLEEPY HOLLOW Question #13--The Supporting Cast
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:16 pm 
JDZ Webmaster

SLEEPY HOLLOW Question #13--The Supporting Cast

So far in our discussion we've looked at Ichabod, Katrina, and the villains . . . the wicked stepmother and the Headless Horseman. But Tim Burton loves to work with large ensembles of talented actors, and one of the delights of SLEEPY HOLLOW is the depth of its supporting cast. Whether you're watching the workings of the New York City police system, or eavesdropping on the town fathers of Sleepy Hollow, you sense that you are in the middle of a vital community and that the characters you see have full lives that exist beyond what you glimspe of them. In other words, they seem real.

Which of the supporting performances made a particularly strong impression on you? Is there anyone you'd like to single out for special praise?

On the other hand, is there anyone who seems less than persuasive in his/her role?

What was your favorite scene involving Ichabod and a supporting player?

As always, you can respond to any or all of the questions. Thanks for joining the discussion! :goodvibes: It's never too late to weigh in with your opinion. :writer:

:writer2: :smiliewithhearts:

Part-Time Poet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:38 pm 

I liked the core group of male characters that was around Van Tassel when Ichabod first came to town. I kind of hoped there would be more dialog from them. But I liked what they offered. I also liked young Masbeth and thought he did a great job with his role. I guess he's one of my top fav supporting characters. I liked the scene when Notary Hardenbrook was hiding in the clock! It's hard to pick a fav scene with Ichabod and just one supporting character. They did a very good job on casting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:03 pm 

I don't really have a favorite supporting actor in the cast. I thought the entire ensemble did a great job with their roles.

I like the scene where the four Town Elders are introduced to Ichabod. The way that Ichabod sort of sneaks up on Reverend Steenwyck when saying the word "decapitated" always makes me laugh :lol:...and I also like the scenes where Ichabod prepares to examine the bodies of Widow Winship and Jonathan Masbeth. Ichabod wants to be taken seriously, while everyone thinks he's just plain weird. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:15 pm 

I loved both Christopher Lee & Michael Gambon. They are phenominal actors & both were wonderful in their respective roles.

I'm not a big fan of Jeffrey Jones & didn't particularly care for him or his Reverend (after all, he "fraternized" with the enemy).

All in all it was a great cast - and it was nice to see Ian McDirmid before he turned to the dark side of the force!! (I guess it was before & after!)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:56 pm 
JDZ Webmaster

Johnny Fanatic wrote:
I like the scene where the four Town Elders are introduced to Ichabod. The way that Ichabod sort of sneaks up on Reverend Steenwyck when saying the word "decapitated" always makes me laugh :lol:...

I'm glad you mentioned this scene, Johnny Fanatic. It's one of my favorites in SLEEPY HOLLOW because it has such a difficult job to do and does it so gracefully. That scene is chock-full of exposition, and it has to be there in order for the plot to go forward; it could just sit there deadly-dull. We've all seen plenty of mystery movies where the film just stops dead to give us the exposition. In SLEEPY HOLLOW, it's funny and it does a lot of character-building for Ichabod and Baltus and the other town elders. And if you've seen the movie before and know the plot, the scene gets even more interesting because you know what each character is hiding from the detective.

Part-Time Poet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:02 pm 

I also thought that scene was a nod on Tim's part to the classic, stylized who-done-it movies of the past, with everyone looking very shifty-eyed and guilty! Those guys, as I think Tim mentioned in his commentary, all looked like they just stepped out of a Quaker Oats label, and were up to NO GOOD!
The supporting cast was great. Of course, Christopher Lee set the stage for letting the audience know there would be some acting heavyweights alongside Johnny. And I've liked Jeffrey Jones ever since Beetlejuice (although his wig in SH played the major role)! I got the impression all the male supporting actors relished playing their parts in SH ~ there was great energy and gusto when they were all together in a scene.
I liked Lisa Marie as Ichabod's mother too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:43 pm 

I thought the horses were very good particularly gunpowder :lol: but the headless horsemans horse was a lovely animal.

I think Lisa Marie was the weak point for me but as I said before I didn't really like the backstory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:56 am 
JDZ Webmaster

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
I thought the horses were very good particularly gunpowder :lol: but the headless horsemans horse was a lovely animal.

I think Lisa Marie was the weak point for me but as I said before I didn't really like the backstory.

I didn't have a problem with Lisa Marie's performance; I thought the problem there was with the role, which was underwritten (Ichabod's mother really doesn't have much to do and doesn't get to speak for herself much).

The weak point for me was Casper Van Dien as Brom. Every time he appears, he throws me right out of the movie. Fortunately, he's not around much.

Part-Time Poet

Post subject: Re: SLEEPY HOLLOW Question #13--The Supporting Cast
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:14 am 

Which of the supporting performances made a particularly strong impression on you? Is there anyone you'd like to single out for special praise?

I thought Casper Van Dien did a marvelous job. Tim needed an actor who could portray someone as opposite from Ichabod as possible and Casper did it. He portrays the handsome hero in excellent contrast to our unlikely hero, Ichabod.

On the other hand, is there anyone who seems less than persuasive in his/her role?

I agree with GG on Lisa Marie. She just didn't do anything for me in this movie.

What was your favorite scene involving Ichabod and a supporting player?

I love when Ichabod comes out of performing the autopsy on the widow and the 4 town elders are out there. What a group :biglaugh: Their look and expressions are just priceless.

Post subject: Re: SLEEPY HOLLOW Question #13--The Supporting Cast
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:40 am 

Dawn68PA wrote:

I love when Ichabod comes out of performing the autopsy on the widow and the 4 town elders are out there. What a group :biglaugh: Their look and expressions are just priceless.

And Ichabod, covered with blood, says, "We are dealing with a madman!" :rotflmao:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:59 pm 

Well I think Christopher Lee was the obvious heavyweight. I think Martin Landau didn't survive long but fit the part of Peter Van Garrett.

I do agree with those of you who mentioned the town leaders of Sleepy Hollow. They all did make Sleepy Hollow a real place.

I see GG mentioned not liking Lisa Marie as Ichabod's mother. Don't all hate me for picking on a child but I didn't like the little boy they cast as young Ichabod. He didn't look like a young Johnny to me. He just didn't seem like someone who would grow up to be Ichabod.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:56 pm 
JDZ Webmaster

gemini wrote:
Don't all hate me for picking on a child but I didn't like the little boy they cast as young Ichabod. He didn't look like a young Johnny to me. He just didn't seem like someone who would grow up to be Ichabod.

I understand your reservations about the young Ichabod. I do have a lot of pity for the casting director, though, who gets told "Find me a four-year-old Johnny Depp who can mime an important role." It must be very hard to find a visual match for someone as distinctive as Johnny--and then, beyond the looks, there are sensitive scenes you are asking the child to play, with a lot of emotion to be shown on the face and in the eyes. I wonder how many child actors they interviewed, looking for the young Ichabod?

Part-Time Poet

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]