It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Q&A with Andrew Birkin #15
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:03 am 
JDZ Moderator

As you read Mr. Birkin’s responses to our questions, please keep in mind that his answers are intended solely for the purpose of our readers. Please do not use his replies or take any quotes from them for any other purpose or post them on any other boards or websites. That was his only caveat when he agreed to participate. I know you all will honor his request!

This is the final question in the Q&A along with some final words from Mr. Birkin.

With the movie “Finding Neverland” set to open this fall, do you have any thoughts on how JMB will be portrayed? Given the obvious physical differences between the lead actor Johnny Depp and the real JMB, how do feel about the choice of actor to portray Barrie?

AB: I read the script which I thought pretty ghastly, but then I would, wouldn’t I?! Haven’t seen the film, and have no real desire to, but I wish them luck.

You might like to know that The Lost Boys will be out on VHS/DVD (American version as well as UK) at the end of this month – all profits to GOSH – so you can judge for yourselves which comes closest to the truth. More details on the Barrie website.....

I do hope some of the above answers a few questions. Most of Nico’s long letters to me are slowly going up on the website, as and when I get the time to continue transcribing them, as well as a long Q&A session Nico had with the cast back in 1976.

(DITHOT Note: The following is from the website.) The rest of the notebooks will slowly follow, as and when I get a chance to edit them - along with 101 other things I'm meant to be doing, including putting on my take on Peter Pan this Christmas, hopefully at the Royal Court. "My take" amounts to Barrie's own first instinct - to have Hook played by Mrs Darling, in a play called "Peter Pan, or the Boy Who Hated Mothers" ... if you'd like to be kept updated, please join our mailing list. In answer to several inquiries, the 1978 BBC-TV The Lost Boys will be released on 27 September (VHS in PAL/NTSC; DVD in areas 1 & 2) - "However, this can be subject to change," cautions DD video. Heigh ho, t'was ever thus. Finally, Sotheby's are holding a Peter Pan auction on December 16th, which will include my entire Barrie collection. The sale will raise money for an indoor playground in the new wing of the Great Ormond Street Hospital, and my own contrribution is in memory of my son Anno. They're coming to take it away at the end of September, and the wrench will be painful. This treasure-trove has been a part of my life for the past quarter of a century, when I "bought" it off Nico (he effectively gave it to me). I've been its guardian ever since, but the time's rapidly approaching when I must finally let go of what was never really mine in the first place. But worry not - everything's been scanned, so nothing's going to disappear from view, and that's the important thing, particularly when it concerns a man who is so in danger of being misunderstood...

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: Q&A with Andrew Birkin #15
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:30 am 

Liz wrote:
With the movie “Finding Neverland” set to open this fall, do you have any thoughts on how JMB will be portrayed? Given the obvious physical differences between the lead actor Johnny Depp and the real JMB, how do feel about the choice of actor to portray Barrie?

AB: I read the script which I thought pretty ghastly, but then I would, wouldn’t I?! Haven’t seen the film, and have no real desire to, but I wish them luck.

Hmmm. I recall from reading an interview with the script writer that his original portrayal of Barrie was whimsical and light-hearted and that Johnny rejected that in favor of displaying the darker, sadder side of Barrie, which I believe is closer to the truth. You can bet that JD read Mr. Birkin's book as research. I wonder if Mr. Birkin would change his mind any if he saw the actual film versus just having read the screenplay. (I'm sure he would not like the liberties the author took with killing off Arthur prior to Barrie's entrance. And I agree - why alter things like that when the real story is so compelling?)

Post subject: Re: Q&A with Andrew Birkin #15
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:32 am 
JDZ Moderator

scarlett wrote:
(I'm sure he would not like the liberties the author took with killing off Arthur prior to Barrie's entrance. And I agree - why alter things like that when the real story is so compelling?)

Not to mention the fact that the movie leaves Nico out. That doesn't make any sense to me.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:51 am 

I can understand why Birkin feels that way but this is a movie & I like that they didnt try to make a movie about the darker side of Barries life. He was a wonderful writter & a good man at heart, really. He may have had some deep seeded problems but he wrote a play that will be in our hearts forever. Its nice that they wanted to make this a brighter story. I dont know why they chose to leave Niko out but it hasnt been advertised as a documentry. Its a movie.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:17 am 
JDZ Moderator

Just a thought....even though Mr. Birkin didn't like the script and seems to have no desire to see FN, many, many people will see it. Of those people, surely there will be some who want to seek out more information about the real JM Barrie, and will read Mr. Birkins book. The truth is there for those who search, and, as was already stated, FN is a movie, not a documentary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:41 am 

Does anyone know if Birkin was approached to write the screeplay?

Post subject: Off on a tangent--
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:53 pm 

Liz and DITHOT, I’d just like to add my voice to the legions who have thanked you and commended you for all that you’ve done for the ONBC. On top of your usual splendid research, background information, and insightful discussion questions, you went completely above and beyond the call of duty (especially since it’s volunteer duty) with your correspondence with Andrew Birkin. I know you’ll want to give the rest of us part of the credit for our participation, but really, we couldn’t, or wouldn’t, do it without you. I also know I've said it before, and so have others, but thank you, thank you, thank you.

Post subject: Re: Off on a tangent--
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:57 pm 

fansmom wrote:
Liz and DITHOT, I’d just like to add my voice to the legions who have thanked you and commended you for all that you’ve done for the ONBC. On top of your usual splendid research, background information, and insightful discussion questions, you went completely above and beyond the call of duty (especially since it’s volunteer duty) with your correspondence with Andrew Birkin. I know you’ll want to give the rest of us part of the credit for our participation, but really, we couldn’t, or wouldn’t, do it without you. I also know I've said it before, and so have others, but thank you, thank you, thank you.

DITTO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:37 pm 
I was a bit surprised by Birkin's closing remarks. He sounds somewhat bitter. And did you notice, he didn't really answered the question about the dicotomy between Johnny & Barrie? I did so enjoy reading the questions and answers to and from Birkin and echo everyone's thanks, again, to our fearless leaders in being able to add such a very special touch to this entire book club experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:00 am 
JDZ Moderator

lumineuse wrote:
Does anyone know if Birkin was approached to write the screeplay?

I knew there was a question I forgot to ask. Dang!

Post subject: Re: Off on a tangent--
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:06 am 
JDZ Moderator

fansmom wrote:

You're right, Fansmom. Thank you, thank you, thank you ALL for participating in the discussion of JMB and the Lost Boys and for participating in asking the questions. It's been quite an experience. :grouphug:

And, Pamela, I can tell you for a fact that there was a just a tad bit of fear involved.

Please keep a sharp eye next week for our thank you thread to Mr. Birkin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:00 pm 

It's been fantastic reading the questions and answers. The DVD is going to be a must-have for me. Great idea to contact him and of course, I want to add my thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:59 pm 

suec wrote:
It's been fantastic reading the questions and answers. The DVD is going to be a must-have for me. Great idea to contact him and of course, I want to add my thanks.

Has it been released yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:06 pm 

Release dates for the BBC "Lost Boys" video/DVD, per Mr. Birkin's web-site:

"A double-VHS/DVD is being released on PAL (Area 2) by DD Video on September 27th 2004. NTSC (Area 1) will follow later."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:21 pm 

It was interesting to read his comments on the movie since he is a screenwriter himself. I can see why he was not thrilled with the movie after he read the script. It is definitely a Hollywood shortened version of the real life story of Barrie and having devoted so much of his life to Barrie research I can understand why he would have a difficult time with the shortened version. I was surprised to learn that he is giving up all of his papers. That must be difficult to do.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]