It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




 Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Desiderata ~ Stanza 7
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:44 pm 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12513
Location: The Left Coast
Image



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:12 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:47 am
Posts: 1504
Location: This is Bat Country!
Hi Ladies!

Love this thread!

Didn't Capt Teague say to Jack something about not just living long but living with yourself?

Guess I will have to do more research!



_________________________________________________________
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:14 pm 

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:37 pm
Posts: 1406
Location: VA
I think Jack had this "going on". Didn't he employ the namaste gesture? There was certainly noise and confusion whereever Jack went, yet his goal of getting his Black Pearl back never changed, and he was always at peace with himself as he could always explain his trickery away with "Pirate".


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:20 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:51 am
Posts: 5286
Charlene wrote:
I think Jack had this "going on". Didn't he employ the namaste gesture? There was certainly noise and confusion whereever Jack went, yet his goal of getting his Black Pearl back never changed, and he was always at peace with himself as he could always explain his trickery away with "Pirate".


Yes! Jack is always true to himself and able to aim for his goal, even in all of the confusion and strife all around him. His eye was always on the prize, as it were.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:43 pm 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12513
Location: The Left Coast
Raven wrote:
Hi Ladies!

Love this thread!

Didn't Capt Teague say to Jack something about not just living long but living with yourself?

Guess I will have to do more research!


That he did, Raven. :thumbsup: And nice to see you. :wave: It's been a while.



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:10 pm
Posts: 6941
Location: California
The last line makes me wonder about how Jack has so much confusion going on, but in the end everything calms out. So I think that if anybody started to freak out over some conufusion then nothing would settle, if they let things take a path and calm it would all work out fine. :cool:



_________________________________________________________
"This is the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow!" - CJS
"Fuhgetaboutit." - Donnie Brasco
Offline
 Profile YIM 
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:47 pm 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12513
Location: The Left Coast
Heather_Hanson wrote:
The last line makes me wonder about how Jack has so much confusion going on, but in the end everything calms out. So I think that if anybody started to freak out over some conufusion then nothing would settle, if they let things take a path and calm it would all work out fine. :cool:


I like that thought, Heather.



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:48 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:10 pm
Posts: 6941
Location: California
Liz wrote:
Heather_Hanson wrote:
The last line makes me wonder about how Jack has so much confusion going on, but in the end everything calms out. So I think that if anybody started to freak out over some conufusion then nothing would settle, if they let things take a path and calm it would all work out fine. :cool:


I like that thought, Heather.


Thanks, I do too. :grin:



_________________________________________________________
"This is the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow!" - CJS
"Fuhgetaboutit." - Donnie Brasco
Offline
 Profile YIM 
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:02 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 3907
Location: Florida
Be at piece with God whatever you conceive him to be
Jack certainly believes in the afterlife but seems to want to avoid it as much as possible. He has seen too many things not to believe in miracles so he is looking for one to delay his meeting with his maker. Must have a guilty conscience. Keep peace with your soul..... I think Jack under all his "Take what ya can and leave nothin behind" talk has a big soul. He always does the right thing in the end and Elizabeth was right....he will find he is a good man.



_________________________________________________________
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
Offline
 Profile WWW  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:06 am 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12513
Location: The Left Coast
gemini wrote:
so he is looking for one to delay his meeting with his maker. Must have a guilty conscience.


Gemini, I thought of Davy Jones' Locker as somewhat of a hell....or maybe that was more like a purgatory.



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:18 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 3907
Location: Florida
Liz wrote:
gemini wrote:
so he is looking for one to delay his meeting with his maker. Must have a guilty conscience.


Gemini, I thought of Davy Jones' Locker as somewhat of a hell....or maybe that was more like a purgatory.

I have heard it mostly described as purgatory but remember Tia described it as worse than dead like Barbossa was. So maybe it was hell. Regardless as Jack says, he has settled that debt.



_________________________________________________________
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
Offline
 Profile WWW  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:47 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:57 pm
Posts: 1381
Location: uk
It reminds me not only of Teague's comment about living with yourself but also Davy Jones's question in DMC about how he feels about sending Will to serve his sentence for him and Jack replying he's good with it.
It also reminds me of what has happened to Davy Jones. Because of not keeping true to his given purpose, he has corrupted himself. Cutting his heart out and the transformation. Also Tia and Davy, in not being true to their love for the other. Each of them has betrayed their love and has to bear the physical and emotional scars of that.
Funnily enough, it also reminds me of Captain Beckett in the sense that at the end, there is certainly that noisy confusion all around him and the way it is filmed, it is though he is floating down through it as he descends the steps, to finally be consumed by the flames. For him it is the moment of reckoning for his soul and in all that confusion, there is the moment of quiet and stillness.



_________________________________________________________
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:40 pm 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12513
Location: The Left Coast
suec wrote:
It reminds me not only of Teague's comment about living with yourself but also Davy Jones's question in DMC about how he feels about sending Will to serve his sentence for him and Jack replying he's good with it.
It also reminds me of what has happened to Davy Jones. Because of not keeping true to his given purpose, he has corrupted himself. Cutting his heart out and the transformation. Also Tia and Davy, in not being true to their love for the other. Each of them has betrayed their love and has to bear the physical and emotional scars of that.
Funnily enough, it also reminds me of Captain Beckett in the sense that at the end, there is certainly that noisy confusion all around him and the way it is filmed, it is though he is floating down through it as he descends the steps, to finally be consumed by the flames. For him it is the moment of reckoning for his soul and in all that confusion, there is the moment of quiet and stillness.


:ohyes: Good point. I had thought of Beckett in the first stanza but not in this one.



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


phpBB skin developed by: John Olson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group