It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Darlene Cates Q&A - #11
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:22 am 
JDZ Moderator

Noodlemantras….

DITHOT and I are taking a short break from you & Darlene and are headed to the happiest place on earth so that we can partake in the happiness, which will be much happier in the presence of the most gorgeous man on earth, the finest actor on earth and maybe the most well read man on earth. :thud: :bounce:

We will take up where we left off on Wednesday, May 23. See you then.
:wave:

Q: Johnny has said it was a dark period for him and he has said he has never watched the movie because it was too hard for him. Did you sense that added to his portrayal of Gilbert? How much were Gilbert and Johnny alike, and what physical traits (ie. movements, etc.) did you notice Johnny may have brought to Gilbert?

A: I didn't know till many years later that he had just broken up with "whats her name". lol I stupidly asked how she was at our first meeting. Gads! What a faux paux! I'm sure that the unhappiness and lonliness that Johnny felt easily translated into Gilbert's persona. I think that we all brought a bit of ourselves to each role. That observation being from a complete novice.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:05 am 

Dithot and Liz, Have a wonderful trip! I know you'll enjoy your time at the happiest place on earth!

No one, who watches the movie, would know you were a complete novice. It's an interesting observation that each actor brings a bit of themselves to a role.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:38 pm 

This is streaming out of left field but some how I'm reminded how Brando when working on, 'On the Waterfront' would leave the set in the afternoon to see his analyst. An interesting image at best. I've felt that you can see Johnny experimenting and creating his acting through out his films and of course, what's lovely about it, is that it has most always worked.
That this role hit a nerve inside Johnny would make for an wonderful read someday, if he decides to share it with us. :cloud9:

DITHOT and Liz, safe travels and happy trails to you both, ENJOY! :disco:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:47 pm 

Quote:
didn't know till many years later that he had just broken up with "whats her name". lol

Good one. I love it. OH well, he was already feeling down and it fit the film so I guess your question would just have fit in with his mood anyhow.

Have fun for all of us DITHOT and LIZ!
:bounce:

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:50 pm 

I am enjoying all your comments, Darlene, and find them very interesting, even if I don't post every day. (Some of us Zoners are a shy lot, just like the man we admire so much. :blush: ) It is so kind of you to take the time to do this!

Liz and DITHOT, have a great trip and bring back lots of photos! :cool: You two deserve the break for all your hard work here!

Post subject: Re: Darlene Cates Q&A - #11
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:42 am 

Liz wrote:
Noodlemantras….

DITHOT and I are taking a short break from you & Darlene and are headed to the happiest place on earth so that we can partake in the happiness, which will be much happier in the presence of the most gorgeous man on earth, the finest actor on earth and maybe the most well read man on earth. :thud: :bounce:

[color=indigo]A: I didn't know till many years later that he had just broken up with "whats her name". lol I stupidly asked how she was at our first meeting. Gads! What a faux paux! I'm sure that the unhappiness and lonliness that Johnny felt easily translated into Gilbert's persona. I think that we all brought a bit of ourselves to each role. That observation being from a complete novice.

Liz, I see that you have been busy perfecting the art of the understatement :capnjack: I jope that you will be among the happiest there!

I think we can't help but bring a bit of ourselves to anything we create and that those are marbe the best bits. I am certainly glad that he went ahead with the film, but I hope it didn't cost him too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:04 am 

I've always thought that Johnny's breakup with Winona had to be a contributing factor to the difficulties he experienced with this role. However, in all but one interview I've read he has denied that, saying only that the role reminded him of stuff he went through with his own family. He didn't officially announce his break-up with Winona until June 1993, about 5 months after the shoot ended.

Johnny has said he much prefers 'building a character from the ground up' and I suspect that with Gilbert he had to play it too close to his own skin. I, for one, really connected with the pain he so bravely and beautifully portrayed in Gilbert.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]