Darlene Cates Q&A - #4

Actress who played Mama in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Darlene Cates Q&A - #4

Unread postby Liz » Thu May 10, 2007 9:49 am

Q: Since you had not acted in a film prior to this, how difficult was that for you? What kind of acting instruction, if any, did you receive to put on such a perfect performance?

A: I received no acting instruction, even though I was assured that they had, "people that could teach even kids and dogs to act", LOL. I just tried to put myself in her place. (Bonnie) In some instances that wasn't hard to do, (courthouse scene...my worst nightmare!). Thank you for saying it was a perfect performance. I didn't see it that way, but I do feel I did justice to the role, and that I did a good job. :-)
Last edited by Liz on Sat May 12, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Thu May 10, 2007 11:29 am

No acting instruction! :-O Wow! What a natural you are!! :cool:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Thu May 10, 2007 12:06 pm

I have to agree with Betty Sue, you are a natural! No one would think that this was your first professional acting experience.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

Xaxis

Unread postby Xaxis » Thu May 10, 2007 12:24 pm

I just watched WEGG again last night, Darlene's performance still draws me in and makes me feel so much! Okay, I cried again! :bawl: Amazing!
“Know thyself” and “Nothing to excess” inscribed on the temple of Apollo at Delphi.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu May 10, 2007 3:07 pm

I think so many things that Darlene has told us about the way she approached this role is why we all love movie Mama so much.....she is genuine! she is real! you want to reach out and hug her!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu May 10, 2007 3:09 pm

I find it interesting that Darlene was so afraid of the courthouse scene. I have heard so many people say, and I agree, that is such a powerful scene and she is so natural in it. Her instinctual mother's love just shines through. I don't think you can teach that!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu May 10, 2007 7:00 pm

I received no acting instruction. I just tried to put myself in her place.
That makes it sound a bit easier than it would be for the average person. First, there would be stage freight for most people. Then being thrown in with experiened actors, terrifying, I would think for anyone. Just to handle that before the acting starts seems quite an accomplishment to me. You underestimate your abilities but thanks for doing it! :thumbsup:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

heidi1

Unread postby heidi1 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:47 am

It's so true, Nebraska! I just wanted to hug Momma too, and get a warm hug from her. That scene between Momma and Gilbert before she met Becky could have turned out so schmaltzy and saccharine-y, but it didn't seem contrived and orchestrated at all. The love between Momma and Gilbert came through totally. Kuddos, Darlene, on achieving that genuine performance! Still hard to believe that was your first acting job!

suec

Unread postby suec » Sat May 12, 2007 7:38 pm

Darlene, you did a great job! Helped by a lot of truth on your part. I think the courthouse scene is something a lot of women, especially, can relate to, irrespective of size, because so many of us are sensitive about appearance, and confronting that truth publicly is not easy. I loved the scene with Momma and Gilbert; it was so very natural.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Return to “Darlene Cates”