It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: WEGG Question #16 - The Women in Gilbert's Life
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:50 am 
JDZ Moderator

From Pg. 105:

As the drone of the plan-making continues, my mind drifts away to everything female. The women in Gilbert Grape’s life are too bizarre to believe. His whalelike mother, his oldest sister the Elvis worshiper, his little toothpick sister with her tennis-ball breasts, and Mrs. Betty Carver, his teacher, his whore. And now, the creature from Michigan, veritable cannibal with pillowlike lips. Becky and her watermelon—this girl might be the weirdest yet?

Do you see a common thread between the women in Gilbert’s life?

Do you think they are weird?

Last edited by Liz on Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:59 am 

If there is I'm not seeing it :-/
I think they are only weird in Gilbert's mind, well maybe Becky is a bit odd. Perhaps Amy and Betty are both lonely. I think Ellen seems quite normal for a teenager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:41 am 

Yes, I think they have all had a traumatic event in their lives that has caused them to cope in different ways.
Momma by eating and fixating on seeing Arnie turn 18. Amy who has given up her youth to take on Momma's resposibilities becomes the Elvis worshipper. Ellen is a rebellious teenager looking for her identity, scarred by her father's suicide before her birth. Mrs. Betty Carver is a lonely and neglected wife, whose husband is having an affair and is abusive. And finally Becky, a teenager, who seems too old for her years, has suggested her parents should divorce and they have followed her suggestion.

The only one I would call weird is Becky. Momma's behaviour is strange and sad. The others each have their quirks, which makes them individuals, and will occasionally do something strange, but I wouldn't call them weird individually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:05 am 

Outside of experiencing a traumatic event, as Linda Lee noted, the only thing I can think of that the ladies had in common was really being able to get to Gilbert, each in her own way. And I agree that only Becky seemed a bit weird in some of her actions. They all had problems to deal with, but don't we all? :baby:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:26 am 
JDZ Moderator

If it weren’t for Amy, I’d say they were all a little quirky. But she does have that thing called EPOCD. :elvis: But who am I to talk?

Last edited by Liz on Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:43 am 

Hey! "A little quirky" (Johnny Depp?) makes people interesting individuals! :clown: (Didn't Leonardo describe Johnny as "a little weird" when asked about him after this movie? Though this was a rough time for Johnny, I do believe he still gets described that way now and then...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:50 am 
JDZ Moderator

Betty Sue wrote:
Hey! "A little quirky" (Johnny Depp?) makes people interesting individuals!

Deppinately! It's good to be different. :captainjack:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:12 pm 

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
If there is I'm not seeing it :-/
I think they are only weird in Gilbert's mind, well maybe Becky is a bit odd. Perhaps Amy and Betty are both lonely. I think Ellen seems quite normal for a teenager.

Likewise, GG. I don't see it either. But maybe that's because we are female ourselves? Maybe to the male mind this group of women with its string of obsessions would seem weird. I also think that as Gilbert has grown up in this largely feminine household, he's had time to observe the women in his life very closely so has himself become obsessed with thier to him odd behaviour.

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:36 pm 

Do you see a common thread between the women in Gilbert's life?

I think they are all lonely and seeking attention in some form or another. Mrs. Carver is seeking attention from him because her husband doesn't give her attention. She is a lonely person and she wanted to be loved but I don't think she's weird. Ellen is a normal teen for the most part she's still trying to adjust to her father's suicide. Amy was thrusted into the motherly role because Momma relinguished it after not leaving the house and eating constantly. Becky saught attention but she seems the one who deserves the label of weird.

I do not think they are weird but they have their quirks that sets them apart from everyone else and that is a normal human trait. It is okay to be different. Infact I encourage being different.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt
 Profile YIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:42 pm 

You have all pointed it out, what I want to say. They are all either quirk, weird or has something in there life which is bad. Each at there on way.

I don't think it is so weird, but as Linda Lee said, Becky is a little odd. She knows to much, and is to sure of herself. She doesn't seem to be a person but a part of Gilbert's mind (the sure, the knowledge and smart Gilbert) Kind of a fairytale person. It is how GIlbert sees her.
Because of the quirks, as you have said does it set them apart from the rest of the world, and make them different.

SamIam wrote:
Quote:
It is okay to be different. Infact I encourage being different.

:cool: Totally agree, think if the world had been all the same, how boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:39 pm 

Good answers all around! :cool: Becky was definitely the weirdest and I also agree quirky is good! Endora I was thinking something along the lines you mentioned. Maybe women in general are just weird to Gilbert's male brain. :lol:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:26 pm 

I don't see them as weird. But I do see some common threads. I think it is sad that he can sum them up like that; it is a sign of how they have diminished. There are those who live and those who get to sit through it - in Momma's case, quite literally. Amy has pretty quietly accepted her role in the house; Mrs Betty is desperate to grab at a bit of happiness and as soon as her husband dies, she is off, but until then she has eyes that say "free me". Becky, on the other hand, is vibrant, alive. She feels like running or dancing around, to "remind the living... that we're alive". She's not as needy as the other women. Momma is a burden. Ellen is needy - for attention. Mrs Betty is needy too. Gilbert is close to Amy, but she still depends on him for a lot - not for herself, but for his contribution to the family. Becky sees him, his depths. The others don't do that as much; he's the brother, the lover, etc. Sometimes it seems as though he is invisible to them. Becky, like the others, comes from a family that has had its trauma, but she has taken the initiative and been proactive, in a way the others aren't. In a way there has been a bit of role reversal. Becky has adopted an older role with her parents, guiding them, while Amy has taken on the maternal role too, in a way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:30 pm 

Ladies, you have mentioned most everything and I am having a hard time finding any other common thread. I agree with Linda Lee that they have all had a traumatic event in their lives, even Becky living with her grandmother because her parents don't get along.

I guess that they all want something from Gilbert to fill a void in their lives. Mrs Carver needs to be loved, for the Grapes Gilbert is replacing Albert and Becky wants to be loved for herself, not her looks.

Is it weird, I don't know, life is strange and people do what they have to, to cope.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:38 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Interesting thoughts there, Endora & Iceflower. :cool: It is true that we are seeing all of them through Gilbert’s eyes. So what we see of Becky is Gilbert’s take on her. She may not be as weird as we thought.

gemini wrote:
Is it weird, I don't know, life is strange and people do what they have to, to cope.

So True, gemini!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:24 pm 

gemini wrote:
Quote:
I guess that they all want something from Gilbert to fill a void in their lives. Mrs Carver needs to be loved, for the Grapes Gilbert is replacing Albert and Becky wants to be loved for herself, not her looks.

I agree, it's something else they all have in common.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next