All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Happy Days Question #7 ~
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:16 pm 

Betty Sue wrote:
Liz wrote:
Veronica wrote:

If you feel you dont have purpose on this planet then you are so so wrong!!! we all have a purpose whether it was only 5 seconds in your life time that you touched another human being. If you hadnt done whatever at that certain moment then what follows would not have happened. (If Im making any sense here I know what I want to say)

V, you are making sense to me because that's exactly the way I look at it. :cool:

And that's what It's a Wonderful Life with James Stewart is all about and why zillions of people watch it and get inspired every year. And now there's a It's a Wonderful Life for Kids book I just picked up for my grandson.

Wish I had a Million dollars..Hotdog! lol One of my all time favorites!

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:28 am 

Perfect analogy and one of my all time favorite movies! :cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:20 am 

You know, as much as I try to find something to like about Antoine - I just can't. He annoys me more and more.
He seems to be complaining about life being so cruel and useless - of course his life is cruel and useless, he chose to completely give up on it! Did he expect that by not living life he would somehow find a greater meaning to life? That's just nonsensical and absurd.

Quote:
I think the point I am trying to make is, even if we don't have the answer to the big question , we should live life to the fullest making the world better for ourselves and others as long as we are here. We really don't need a reward for doing so, it should be rewarding in itself.

I totally agree, Gemini. :cool:

Life is full of it's own rewards, every single day. Your reward for working hard with your kids is get an "I love you, mum" and to see their beautiful faces everyday. Your reward for working hard at your job is to get that big smile from your boss or to be thanked by an appreciative stranger. Your reward for doing charitable things is the knowledge that someone somewhere is now better off than they were yesterday.

All these things are what make life worthwhile. And all of those things can be your "justification for having lived", so long as you choose to appreciate them rather than ignore them.

At this point in time I'm honestly not sure if there's a Messiah to follow or look for. But I think that if there is, he/she/it would be most pleased with us taking advantage of every opportunity we have for good - living the lives that have been given us to the fullest and doing everything we can to make our world a happier place.

Perhaps Antoine begins to realise that when he starts to take care of Mirielle... but I'm not sure... even doing that, he seems to be more concerned about his own feelings than hers. She's just another one of his personal experiments.

So basically, no, I do not agree with Antoine. He's projecting his own useless fellings out onto all of humankind and I think he's wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:35 am 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Another easy one today... ;-)

Pg. 87 “One always leaves behind the unsolved “mystery of life,” without ever coming up with a satisfying or even encouraging justification for having lived, aside from the perpetuation of both the species and the aforementioned mystery. A faint and cruel consolation. We must resign ourselves, for want of something better, and in the hope that a hypothetical messiah will appear among us to enlighten us with luminous words. But wherever could this messiah come from?”

Would you agree or disagree?

The first thing that entered my mind is a quote from ???
Don't just stand there and wait for your ship to come in, swim out to meet it!
No, I don't agree. The mystery of life isn't just going to come to you, you must question and find your own answer.
Lady Jill

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:25 am 
JDZ Moderator

Lady Jill wrote:

The first thing that entered my mind is a quote from ???
Don't just stand there and wait for your ship to come in, swim out to meet it!
No, I don't agree. The mystery of life isn't just going to come to you, you must question and find your own answer.
Lady Jill

Very well put, Lady Jill!

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:45 am 

Before we get off this topic, I thought you all might like to see a picture of my favorite guide !

:rotflmao:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:37 am 

:lol:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:58 pm 

RedShoes, Yes, I too wonder about his relationship with Mirielle and if he has changed his position or not by the end of the book.

Parlez, too cute! Can I take him home?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:45 pm 

He's not mine to give away, but he's all yours, Depputante...in a metaphysical way!
And may the force be with you!
:heart:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:37 pm 

We are each one such a tiny speck in the scheme of things, if you think about the millions and millions of people in the world right now plus all the ones who have ever lived...sometimes when I think about that I feel so insignificant! which is probably why it isn't good for me to think too much! :banghead: and this discussion is definitely making me think too much! I used to think I knew what my life was about and the purpose for it all, and now the older I get and the more I experience, the less I think I know about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:24 pm 

nebraska, I know what you mean. But if we had all the answers how boring that would be! I think it is our nature to question. (Sorry fansmom if that brings up the nature/nurture question... :lol: )

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:14 pm 

(Sorry fansmom if that brings up the nature/nurture question... :lol: )
That just does seem to come up in many of our discussions, doesn't it? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:58 pm 

fansmom wrote:
(Sorry fansmom if that brings up the nature/nurture question... :lol: )
That just does seem to come up in many of our discussions, doesn't it? :lol:

And we still haven't solved the riddle!

Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:47 pm 

Another easy one today... ;-)

Pg. 87 “One always leaves behind the unsolved “mystery of life,” without ever coming up with a satisfying or even encouraging justification for having lived, aside from the perpetuation of both the species and the aforementioned mystery. A faint and cruel consolation. We must resign ourselves, for want of something better, and in the hope that a hypothetical messiah will appear among us to enlighten us with luminous words. But wherever could this messiah come from?”

Would you agree or disagree?

Easy? ha! (that's a good one!) :-)

I don't agree that we must resign ourselves to waiting for a "hypothetical messiah" to come and enlighten us. I belive that we each have a purpose. What that purpose is will either be known in this lifetime or later on by those who loved us - but I don't think that some mysterious figure will appear and illuminate our purpose for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:37 am 

I don't agree with his comment. Whatever I would have written in answer to this has gone completely out of my head, because I have received news that someone has died. Not someone I loved, but I have shed tears, nevertheless, and tears for the people who do love her, and are grieving right now. Isn't that what counts? That our lives add up because we made a difference to someone? I cry also because what was sweet and precious to her has gone and because it is sweet and precious to us all.
Justification for life doesn't come from perpetuating one's genes (although my genes might disagree with me). I don't have children, but I have changed lives - quite often without wanting or intending to - but that little nudge or step up has been there, nonetheless. And people have done that for me - again without intending to. Just as Johnny has. Little acts of intervention and kindness make the difference, IMY. Some people's impact is larger than others. One could argue that their justification for life is thus larger. Personally, I don't feel any need for justification for life. Neither do I feel any need to solve its mystery. Take what you can. Give something back is what I belive, roughly. I would like to think that I don't hurt anyone along the way - I try not to -and that on balance, the positives of any existence outweight the negatives. It also comes down to love in the end. That you have done something with that great big heart you were given, and can account for its use.
The grieving partner of the person said, "Well it's done now. She went well, in her sleep. That's as much as we can all hope for" and then he laughed wryly and added that he was getting philosphical in his old age. He said he cries far more nowadays, as he gets older. That he cries over a news story when someone has been shot, over the life that has been lost. That's the justification for life. That we cry when it ends.
Sorry for my ramble. It's just how things strike me this morning.

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next