It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:53 pm 

Actually we have a family tradition of a lunch (home made soup) and supper on Christmas eve followed by a traditional Christmas day feast. A LOT of cooking. :blush: But it is only once every three years so that makes it easier. :disco:
@ Liz it is much easier when you rotate. :chill:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:07 pm 

We haven't finalized our Christmas plans yet. My husband's family always celebrated on Christmas Eve (that Italian tradition) but both of their sons married women who go to church on Christmas Eve. An additional complication is that my husband, who is a professional sailor, will be working until December 28th. So we may be celebrating with my parents on Christmas and his the following weekend. Don't really know yet.

I was just working on my Christmas cards, including a "this is what we've been doing but I'm not bragging" letter I just emailed it to my daughter for her approval, since, as usual, much of it is about her.

My husband says DMC would be a great gift for me. I say I'm buying it tomorrow at the Safeway because they're giving away Coke, cookies, and microwave popcorn with the purchase of DMC. :bounce:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:11 pm 

Liz wrote:
ThirdArm wrote:
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to ONBC, DITHOT and Liz--

I didn't really have Christmas or holiday traditions when I was growing up since my brother and I were raised in a home where one parent was Jewish and the other was Christian.

My dad went along with the Christmas tree because I guess my brother and I were such brats about not having one; but I also had the opportunity to experience the Channukah holiday, which has its own rich traditions.

Channukah is celebrated for 8 days but my folks told us that unfortunately, no, we didn't get presents each night for 8 days! (We could be awful kids, I tell you. :blush: )

When Mr ThirdArm and I got together, we developed our own way of celebrating the holidays, sort of a mushing together of both Christmas and Channukah (Channukmas?). But the big deal for us each year is to plan out a drive around looking at all the houses decorated in lights. Some of the houses are incredible. I feel like a kid again looking at the brilliantly lit houses and yards; sort of like a fantasy land.

I wanted DMC for Channukmas but I think we're getting it tomorrow because several stores are having promotions. One is offering a Captain Jack 12" figure at a special price when you buy the DVD, for example. Mr TA likes to collect these things and has been able to get a tidy sum on occasion on E-bay for some of his figures.

However, if he thinks he's selling Jack, I have news for him. :lol:

I think you are getting the best of both worlds, there, Third Arm.

I think I'd better point out to my family that this promo is going on because DMC is on my Christmas list too. What stores?

Third Arm, I wonder if you and I drive by the same houses. I love doing that too.

K-Mart is one that I definitely saw the action figure tie-in.

Speaking of the houses, you've gone by the one on National Street in SC, haven't you? There's also Chanticleer House, which is a rest home (on Chanticleer Ave, obviously!). That is eye-popping.

And, Whispering Pines Drive; and that newer street off Glen Canyon (I think). One house there had outside music; really gentle carols and Christmas songs. That was quite cool!

This year, I'll have my son and the grand-whelp. He's only 21 months, so won't be as into the decorations as I am; but it will be fun to drive around with a car full of family. I am looking forward to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:20 pm 

shadowydog, we have a tradition of Mexican food on Christmas Eve and then a big feast on Christmas Day. I love doing the cooking and the eating! :blush:

fansmom, it's nice that our dh's would think of us and know we would like to have that dvd...but wait until Christmas? Fuggetaboutit! I got my first family Christmas letter today. I know some people make fun of them but I really enjoy reading them!

ThirdArm, I think Best Buy has a bobblehead figure tie in.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:30 pm 
JDZ Moderator

ThirdArm wrote:
Liz wrote:
ThirdArm wrote:
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to ONBC, DITHOT and Liz--

I didn't really have Christmas or holiday traditions when I was growing up since my brother and I were raised in a home where one parent was Jewish and the other was Christian.

My dad went along with the Christmas tree because I guess my brother and I were such brats about not having one; but I also had the opportunity to experience the Channukah holiday, which has its own rich traditions.

Channukah is celebrated for 8 days but my folks told us that unfortunately, no, we didn't get presents each night for 8 days! (We could be awful kids, I tell you. :blush: )

When Mr ThirdArm and I got together, we developed our own way of celebrating the holidays, sort of a mushing together of both Christmas and Channukah (Channukmas?). But the big deal for us each year is to plan out a drive around looking at all the houses decorated in lights. Some of the houses are incredible. I feel like a kid again looking at the brilliantly lit houses and yards; sort of like a fantasy land.

I wanted DMC for Channukmas but I think we're getting it tomorrow because several stores are having promotions. One is offering a Captain Jack 12" figure at a special price when you buy the DVD, for example. Mr TA likes to collect these things and has been able to get a tidy sum on occasion on E-bay for some of his figures.

However, if he thinks he's selling Jack, I have news for him. :lol:

I think you are getting the best of both worlds, there, Third Arm.

I think I'd better point out to my family that this promo is going on because DMC is on my Christmas list too. What stores?

Third Arm, I wonder if you and I drive by the same houses. I love doing that too.

K-Mart is one that I definitely saw the action figure tie-in.

Speaking of the houses, you've gone by the one on National Street in SC, haven't you? There's also Chanticleer House, which is a rest home (on Chanticleer Ave, obviously!). That is eye-popping.

And, Whispering Pines Drive; and that newer street off Glen Canyon (I think). One house there had outside music; really gentle carols and Christmas songs. That was quite cool!

This year, I'll have my son and the grand-whelp. He's only 21 months, so won't be as into the decorations as I am; but it will be fun to drive around with a car full of family. I am looking forward to it.

I'm going to K-mart tomorrow, so I'll check that out. Whispering Pines for sure, and SV Heights have always been on the tour. I have not been anywhere in SC. I think I need to check it out. Thanks.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:40 pm 

A Japanese Christmas is marked by purchasing a very small , about 2 feet high pre-decorated artificial tree that can be probably placed on a table as a sort of ornament, purchasing Kentucky Fried Chicken (no oven, no Turkey in 99% of Japan, or pay like $75 for one!), and a Christmas Cake which is a Sponge cake with Whipped Cream icing with plastic Santa Doll and trees on it for dessert. The Presents are clearly given from mom and Dad, not Santa. They are usually pre-packaged 'stockings' containing a variety of snacks and a few toys inside. The first year I lived there, I found some CHristmas lights, and strung them up from the corner of a window to make a 'normal' 6 ft tall 'tree' and placed presents there.

Growing up in Canada, with my Uncle's Ukranian background, we always had Perogies (potatoe,bacon, cheese stuffed dumplings), and Cabbage Rolls Christmas Eve. I remember one night, my elders all got very drunk before the perogies were made...dough and flour were everywhere!

Last year I tried a New Zealand Stuffed Leg of Lamb. The stuffing is quite fruity, and it was a wonderful change, and saved a turkey! Ha ha....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:52 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Depputante wrote:
A Japanese Christmas is marked by purchasing a very small , about 2 feet high pre-decorated artificial tree that can be probably placed on a table as a sort of ornament, purchasing Kentucky Fried Chicken (no oven, no Turkey in 99% of Japan, or pay like $75 for one!), and a Christmas Cake which is a Sponge cake with Whipped Cream icing with plastic Santa Doll and trees on it for dessert. The Presents are clearly given from mom and Dad, not Santa. They are usually pre-packaged 'stockings' containing a variety of snacks and a few toys inside. The first year I lived there, I found some CHristmas lights, and strung them up from the corner of a window to make a 'normal' 6 ft tall 'tree' and placed presents there.

Growing up in Canada, with my Uncle's Ukranian background, we always had Perogies (potatoe,bacon, cheese stuffed dumplings), and Cabbage Rolls Christmas Eve. I remember one night, my elders all got very drunk before the perogies were made...dough and flour were everywhere!

Last year I tried a New Zealand Stuffed Leg of Lamb. The stuffing is quite fruity, and it was a wonderful change, and saved a turkey! Ha ha....

But what about the poor lamb? :-/ Just foolin with ya, Depputante. I happen to be serving lamb for the extended family celebration. It is a favorite on that side of the family--that and Yorkshire pudding. I've never tried stuffed lamb, though. Could you PM me the recipe?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:00 pm 

Liz wrote:
Depputante wrote:

But what about the poor lamb? :-/ Just foolin with ya, Depputante. I happen to be serving lamb for the extended family celebration. It is a favorite on that side of the family--that and Yorkshire pudding. I've never tried stuffed lamb, though. Could you PM me the recipe?

Done. I'm not picky about the foods I eat, so I put in all the ingredients. Hope you give it a try!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:03 pm 

Happy Holidays all! On Saturday, I celebrated Christmas with 64 of my closest relatives. If we all were there, there would have been 75 - 35 of which are great grand children between six months and the oldest two are second year university! Every two years its my mother's turn to host and we hold it in the hall of her church (she's incharge of the ladies guild which runs the kitchen anyway so she's right at home!).

We used to get together on the 24th for my maternal grandmother's birthday but since her passing my generation has insisted that it be moved so we can go to church and begin new traditions with our own families on Christmas Eve. So its the first Saturday of December and we once had 'perfect' attendence during the eight years since we changed to this format! Everyone is happy and granny is none the wiser!!!

With so many kids running riot in unfamiliar church or community halls, I started bringing things for them to do on the year it was our turn. Christmas crafts (low cost, low mess factor, as few supplies as possible), Christmas word puzzles, and small dollar store gifts (craft kits, puzzles, games) keep little hands busy and the older ones assist where needed or help in the kitchen. After the kids eat (in other words fast), we play Christmas BINGO and that keeps them busy until the dessert portion of the buffet opens. A second round of BINGO (and more dessert) keeps them busy until their parents get their second cup of coffee and they can get to the business of opening the gifts under the tree!

Two years of preparation and its all over in three hours! We don't even wait until January before we start thinking about 2008 - when you're there and with the right folks you make plans! Now I'm recooping (if I could take morphine I would but I'm doing the best I can to recover with the pain meds I can take) so I can get on with my own holiday preparations: baking, cards, gifts.

Guess I'd better close and go to my bed with Happy Days for a second re-read. Great to read about everyone's holiday traditions and plans. The real difference for us is that there isn't "a season" like in America where the holidays begin with Thanksgiving and go through until New Years. If we did that in Canada our holidays would be the second weekend of October through until New Year's Day! I start thinking about Christmas after Thanksgiving but I suppose "the season" actually begins for me on the first Saturday of December when we carve that first Christmas turkey! Good health and safe travels to all! See you over on the book thread later! :pray:

PS if any of you have a chance to put in a word for me with the big guy in red - I have been good (well just a wee bit naughty) and I'd really really really like DMC DVD in my sock pleassssssse :blush:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:09 pm 

ThirdArm said they have Channukmas. My brother is divorced now but for years when he was married we had Channukmas with my sister-in-law. It was a lot of fun and I miss it.

I have been looking for that 12" Johnny but have not liked the prices so far. I collect Oriental Dolls and I think Johnny would enjoy being displayed with all those ladies. Unfortunately I already ordered the DVD so I had better stay away from all these specials tomorrow or I'll get caught up in the frenzy and have two of the same DVD.

Liz I have always enjoyed the decorating part because I have a lot of those little miniature houses that light up and they all come out at Christmas. I am in my second childhood when it comes to miniature things. Houses and dolls.

We also love driving around looking at the Christmas decorations. We dont have the snow down here but it doesn't slow anyone down on the decorating. A friend I work with has one of those houses you mentioned that everyone goes to see every year because they always out do themselves.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:12 pm 

Liz wrote:
Depputante wrote:

That was my thought, too. Liz....what about that poor lamb??? :-O
I've always wanted to make and eat Yorkshire pudding...maybe I'll try it this year for something different...and save a turkey and a lamb!!

bluebird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:13 pm 

lizbet, that sounds like quite a gathering! I can see why it takes so much planning. What great ideas for entertaining the little ones and what great family memories you all are creating! We have a full family reunion every three years and take turns planning it between three families. It is a huge undertaking and there are only about 45 of us! I hope our kids will take it over one day, just like the little ones at your Christmas celebration.

P.S. I'll put in good word with the guy in red for you if you'll do the same for me?
:grin:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:26 pm 

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

We are going to be doing something a little different this year, our DD & SIL have invited my Sister, Brother, DS, DH & I to their home this Christmas for dinner. DD is very excited to be the hostess this year. She has been married for 3 years and is looking forward to having the family at her home.
I have 2 sisters and 2 brothers so we won't be seeing everyone Christmas Day. We will all get together the Saturday after because as we had children and grandchildren it got to be too hectic to try to be everywhere Christmas day.
We have our outdoor lights and wreath up, I'll be finishing up the tree and indoor decorations this week.
As has been mentioned by TA, LIZ, & DITHOT,my DH & I enjoy driving around looking at he lights and decorations, it reminds me of a fairyland (especially if we get a little snow before Christmas).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:41 am 

Such fun to read such varied plans! Ours are mostly quite traditional. I can't believe our house has been decorated inside and out for several days already! This only happened because Mr. Betty surprised me by bringing in all the boxes full of stuff, and I couldn't wait to empty them and get them out of there. Do enjoy having the house twinkle and sparkle all over! It always seems pretty dull after decorations come down...
As we've lived many places, I have lots of cards to write; they're always my biggest Christmas project.
My son always directs our church's Christmas pageant so both of his boys have played baby Jesus to heavenly reviews. :cloud9: No baby from our family this year but one is in the works for next! Our kids and grandkids will come over for dinner and gifting and games Christmas night after visiting in-laws.
Johnny stuff? Well, I've placed a lot of orders for the kids at Amazon.com and sometimes I just happen to need to increase the order a bit to get the free shipping sooooooo a DMC double DVD, a Deppian calendar, and a DMC CD HAD to be added and will be slipped under the tree for me (if I can wait that long!). Then there's the POTC sticker book and Legend of Jack Sparrow PC game I plan to add to the collection of pirate stuff I've given my grandson that we play with together.
This year I've been very involved with a charity group that will be inviting 35 needy famillies in to receive food baskets, toys and clothing. As I've been getting to know these families and care about them, I think it will be very satisfying to be a part of this.

MAY YOU ALL , REGARDLESS OF BELIEFS OR CIRCUMSTANCES, FIND PEACE AND JOY THIS SEASON!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:05 am 
JDZ Moderator

Betty Sue wrote:
This year I've been very involved with a charity group that will be inviting 35 needy famillies in to receive food baskets, toys and clothing. As I've been getting to know these families and care about them, I think it will be very satisfying to be a part of this.

MAY YOU ALL , REGARDLESS OF BELIEFS OR CIRCUMSTANCES, FIND PEACE AND JOY THIS SEASON!!!!

That has to be very satisfying, Betty Sue. Peace and Joy to you, too.

Linda Lee, we have the same issue with extended family. Our extended family is actually celebrating on January 5th and 6th (it's usually New Years, but my SIL has to work). Christmas Day we all want to spend with our immediate families.

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next