It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:59 pm 

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:
I am looking forward to Johnny!!!!!!! :bounce: hearing him sing, watching him move, seeing the costumes he wears, the wonderful facial emotions, his hair......all of it!!!!!! I can guarantee that if Johnny Depp was not in this movie, I wouldn't give it a second thought!

I hear ya, Nebraska. I think, though, that if Tim had chosen another actor, I would give it a chance because I enjoy Tim's creations.

Burton is special, there is no doubt about that.....and thanks to the ONBC discussion, I have a better understanding of the whole Sweeney Todd culture.....but I think I would give it a pass if not for Johnny.

I have not loved every single one of Johnny's movies although he is always great in his role. It will be interesting to see how I feel about ST after Johnny and Tim get finished with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:38 am 

I'm looking forward to seeing Johnny too :grin: ..in a different role, with humanity,with a back-story,some romance,some redemption [ I don't know if that is possible] all set against an authentic view of late 18th century London,with tons of atmosphere ..I just hope that Tim doesn't go down The Libertine road and film it in grainy brown :capnjack: :-O

I have faith in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:19 am 

Having just seen the Sondheim version this week (which I really enjoyed btw), I am really curious to see what Tim and Johnny will do with the humour - there is a lot of black humour in there and no doubt it will be used.

I know Tim has said he will go for the gore - but I hope that he won't go overboard. If it were along the lines of SH then it would be fine for me.
Also looking forward to see who they cast as Anthony - as with his youth, optimism and naivety he is the opposite of Sweeney so it will be interesting to see if Tim highlights this contrast.

I also see great potential for Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs Lovett - I know this was discussed on another thread. I think she will be excellent.
And of course, above all to hear Johnny sing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:12 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Peachy wrote:
I also see great potential for Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs Lovett - I know this was discussed on another thread. I think she will be excellent.
And of course, above all to hear Johnny sing.

And Peachy we are discussing the part of Mrs. Lovett, as interpreted by TB, in today's question (#20).

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:03 pm 

I'm hoping to be surprised... by how inventively TB will handle the integration of music and spoken word. (Please, please more more words less music.) I'm imagining a re-envisioned score with more novel instrumentation than just orchestra and more edginess to the arrangements. Once more... Danny Elfman where are you?

I'm hoping to be surprised... by how well JD sings.

I'm hoping to be surprised... by an immersion in Victorian London that doesn't shy away from reality. I want to see and feel Mrs. Lovett's anger and desperation. She's making cat and rat pies to survive... that 's got to mean more than a few holes in her costume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:14 pm 
JDZ Moderator

dharma_bum wrote:
I'm hoping to be surprised... by how inventively TB will handle the integration of music and spoken word. (Please, please more more words less music.) I'm imagining a re-envisioned score with more novel instrumentation than just orchestra and more edginess to the arrangements. Once more... Danny Elfman where are you?

I'm hoping to be surprised... by how well JD sings.

I'm hoping to be surprised... by an immersion in Victorian London that doesn't shy away from reality. I want to see and feel Mrs. Lovett's anger and desperation. She's making cat and rat pies to survive... that 's got to mean more than a few holes in her costume.

It will be interesting to see if Elfman gets involved in this project. And cat & rat pies are pretty desperate. :yikes:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:33 am 

Hi sorry to have fallen out of the fray, real life don't you know.

I'm hoping to see a little of Sweeney's happy life with his wife and child before he's imprisoned, that is very sweetly played so that we can really see the change he undergoes. And while I know Johnny will probably not be as elegant as he was as Ichabod, I think he should retain some of his beauty because that would make his customers more trusting and therefore his murders more fiendish and less suspected. I hope that Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett, have a kind of a slightly humourous but overtly dysfunctional love for each other. While ST should have some humour, I hope that darkness is used to great affect to punctuate the drama of the story. And I've been wondering if Freddie Highmore can sing, because I think he would make a great Tobias. I hope Tim can cast actors for Johanna's and Anthony's roles that have far more charisma and depth than the actor's in the Sondheim musical. I hope Sweeney has some interaction with Johanna, that alludes to his great love for her, and a longing for his past life. (hope that makes sense) Finally I hope Sweeney's downfall is very dramatic, and heart-rending.

Live in Depp
Boo

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:44 pm 

Welcome back, Boo! Yes real life does have a way of interfering! :banghead:

I love your ideas... HEY TIM READ THIS BOO'S POST!!!!!
:lol:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:22 am 

I agree. :bounce: .Tim ,are you out there :-O

I have faith in you.

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2