It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sweeney Todd Question #19 ~
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:21 am 

What are you most looking forward to in the movie version?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:58 pm 

I suppose this means also what we want to see as Johnny in the part. I am hoping for long hair even if he has to pull it back so as not to look too beautiful for a murderer. Maybe he could look beautiful and innocent in the beginning before tragedy ruins his life. Please let there be some humanity and not just a crazed revenged Sweeney. I am hopeful that they will add a little romance not for just Sweeney's wife but also maybe a little feeling for Mrs. Lovett. At least have her with true affection for Sweeney and not a sly conspirator.

I really look forward to what Tim will do with the settings. After reading some of the tidbits of the era, I think he has some really good themes to put into the background sets. Knowing Tim, I am sure he will take advantage of the deplorable poverty and look of the era, since all of that can fit into Sweeney's reasons for revenge, if Tim looks into several of the versions of the play.

I am not sure I am looking forward to it, but I think Tim will make the most of the murders adding realistic blood and gore. I do hope, as some of us mentioned before, that he uses the chair and if in keeping with some of the versions he could have Sweeney design it himself.

And last but not least. I am really looking forward to hearing that beautiful voice we all love put to music.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:31 pm 

Well said gemini !
I have faith in Tim. I just keep wondering which way he will take the story. He could put that black humor twist on it like Beetlejeuce, or he could do it seriously, and have Johnny put a little humor in it, like with Sleepy Hollow. :eyebrow:
Don't know which.
He's further confused me with his 'sound of music' comment.

Anyways, Cheers, mates! Have a nice day! :morning: :frenchie:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:52 pm 

I was not too happy about the announcement of this project, but I will be interested to see how it is filmed, how it is designed and how Johnny will portray Sweeney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:05 pm 
JDZ Moderator

GG, I am much more interested in it now, after having read the Pitt play and seen the Sondheim version.

I think I am most looking forward to being surprised, along with the anticipation of hearing Johnny sing. The best prize is a sur-prise. :wonka: And there is no doubt in my mind that I will be pleasantly surprised, as that will not be a surprise because the Tim/Johnny collaboration has not disappointed me yet. :grin:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:06 pm 

I'm hoping for much more back story, just look what they did with Willy Wonka! gemini, I also think the sets are going to be fabulous, Tim has such a way with the backgrounds in all his movies. I can't imgagine that Sweeney won't have a little humanity and humor in his character. I also can't wait to hear who Johnny will say he used as influences for the character. :-O I am really looking forward to hearing Johnny sing. One of the things we admire about him, his willingness to step out there and face a challenge!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:11 pm 

If I could whisper in Tim's ear I would say this: have Todd begin the movie as a horrible wretch (as horrible as Johnny wants, because we all know he will want that...) and, as he performs the grisly murders, have him become more and more presentable so that by the time he commits his last murder, he looks absolutely gorgeous. It would be a fascinating reverse treatment. As Todd vents his rage by slitting throats and spilling blood, he becomes more 'human' less beast... Might make for some interesting analysis. But what I like is that we'd get to look forward to seeing our beautiful boy for at least a little bit!

Or he could simply be gorgeous in flashbacks. More predictable, but I'd settle for that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:23 pm 

Depputante wrote:
Well said gemini !
I have faith in Tim. I just keep wondering which way he will take the story. He could put that black humor twist on it like Beetlejeuce, or he could do it seriously, and have Johnny put a little humor in it, like with Sleepy Hollow. :eyebrow:
Don't know which.
He's further confused me with his 'sound of music' comment.

Anyways, Cheers, mates! Have a nice day! :morning: :frenchie:

Since you have mentioned Bettlejuice, I must admit I had forgotten about it. It is one of those strange films that I did enjoy watching. It had the combination of normal (or as close as Tim can get) with his two nice looking ghosts and crazy with Michael Keaton's BettleJuice. The music was great. I loved Harry Belafonte's "Jump in the line song" Winona did her homework to with the ghosts. Yes depputenate, Black Humor is a good description for it.
And you are right that Johnny put the humor in Sleepy Hollow and he is very good at it. I dont know which I prefer for Sweeney but I think Tim will go with Black humor for sure, but maybe Johnny will throw in some humor just to offset the gore.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:53 pm 

Yeah...what all of you said! Certainly what I most look forward to is HEARING JOHNNY SING, seeing what his character will look like (make-up. hair, and clothes), and learning how much humor, pathos, humanity and horror he'll use to portray Sweeney. After that I'll be hoping for powerful songs and orchestration. Then it'll be seeing how Tim turns this theatrical stage play with a very stark, simple setting into a movie with fascinating Burtonesque settings. Like Liz, I look forward to lots of surprises but won't be surprised that Sweeney Todd is a smash hit!! :bounce:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:02 pm 

I am looking forward to Johnny!!!!!!! :bounce: hearing him sing, watching him move, seeing the costumes he wears, the wonderful facial emotions, his hair......all of it!!!!!! I can guarantee that if Johnny Depp was not in this movie, I wouldn't give it a second thought!

I am also looking forward to the scenery and the cinematography -- I loved the blues and hazes in CB and SH! There should be some wonderful visuals in this movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:03 pm 

I wonder if Johnny will have to learn to shave someone with a cut throat razor, to make it look authentic, something else to learn during the rehersal period

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:07 pm 

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
I wonder if Johnny will have to learn to shave someone with a cut throat razor, to make it look authentic, something else to learn during the rehersal period

Yeah, I guess so. He's probably looking forward to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:15 pm 

Depputante wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:

Apparently its not that easy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:21 pm 
JDZ Moderator

nebraska wrote:
I am looking forward to Johnny!!!!!!! :bounce: hearing him sing, watching him move, seeing the costumes he wears, the wonderful facial emotions, his hair......all of it!!!!!! I can guarantee that if Johnny Depp was not in this movie, I wouldn't give it a second thought!

I hear ya, Nebraska. I think, though, that if Tim had chosen another actor, I would give it a chance because I enjoy Tim's creations.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:37 pm 

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Depputante wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:

Apparently its not that easy

That would be an interesting job on the film! :-O

Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next