It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Remembering Hunter S. Thompson ~ Let the Howling Commence!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:56 pm 

The post below (in black) appeared here on ONBC one year ago.

"It wasn't his last wish, but he had been very specific over the years as to what he wanted. He wanted people to celebrate his life," Anita Thompson said.

The iconoclastic author of the modern classic "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" imagined his ashes and his loved ones celebrating his legacy in the highest of style.

"He wanted to hear ice clinking in whiskey glasses. 'No tears, no funeral' is what he said. But there will be an element of sorrow because he's left a huge hole in our hearts. That's why we need to be together to say a final farewell to his body. His spirit lives on in all of our hearts and in his writings, which seem to have a new sparkle to them now that his body is gone," she said.

As people gather in Woody Creek today to bid a final farewell to Hunter Thompson and to celebrate his life, Oprah Noodlemantra's Book Club would like to offer our own tribute to one of our favorite writers. Please join us in celebrating the spirit of Hunter S. Thompson. Please feel free to leave your own tribute on the thread.

One year ago we gathered, as did his friends in Woody Creek, to celebrate the life of Hunter S. Thompson. We left our messages and we howled at the moon in celebration and in sorrow to honor the life and times of the Good Doctor. This Sunday night, August 20, 8:40 Mountain Time, we will gather again on the one year anniversary of his memorial celebration. Please join us in celebration and in remembrance. Let him know we remember. Let’s howl! :cool:

'Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of ''the rat race'' is not yet final.' Hunter S. Thompson

The link below will take you to the ONBC tribute video. Thanks, theresa for your technical wizardry! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlXkOETPHdg

If you can’t be with us tomorrow night, or even if you can, you are invited to post any remembrances on this thread starting today!

Last edited by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas on Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:50 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I’m posting tonight because I will be headed out on my vacation tomorrow morning early. I’m hoping to see you for the howl, with my ice and a little bit of Chivas in hand. But I’m not sure if I’ll have internet where I'm staying or if it will work into DH's plans. But whether I get online or not, my heart and mind will be with all of you at 8:40 Mountain Time.

A year after Hunter’s blast-off, I find he is never far from my thoughts. I don’t think I will soon forget him. Those who have known him personally or known him from a distance can’t help but feel a sense of encouragement from his enthusiasm for seeking the truth, opening minds, pushing the limits and daring to be different. Plus he was a writer beyond comparison.

Miss you, Hunter. :-/

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:46 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:01 pm 

As I won't be around later, here's my very brief thoughts:

The ability to write is a wonderful gift, but one that lays your soul open to the world if you do it with any honesty. I am sure that Hunter was like this, and it takes a special sort of person to live with that. More than most of us could do.

Raising a glass here.

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:56 pm 

FAN, that is beautiful!

Endora, I hear your ice tinkling...and I agree with what you said. It's hard to face the truth squarely every day.
:toastingpirates:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:46 pm 
JDZ Webmaster

We love Hunter S. Thompson for his work--for the razor-sharp mind, the clarity of his vision, and the words that spring from the page, full-blooded and alive.

But we also love him for what he gave to others, for the deep love he inspired and returned.

Johnny spoke of his love for Hunter's writing in interviews given long before he ever met the Good Doctor face-to-face. When they had the chance to meet and work together, they recognized each other as kindred spirits and bonded as family.

A year ago today, Johnny stood with Hunter's son Juan to fire Hunter's ashes into the sky. It was a gesture as grand and Gonzo as anything in the pages of Hunter's works--a fitting tribute to a man who was never ordinary or predictable, and always larger-than-life.

We miss Hunter S. Thompson, and we send condolences to everyone who is mourning his loss, today and every day.

:writer2:

Part-Time Poet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:44 pm 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
Nice comments so far everyone. PtP and FANtasticJD, I especially love your pics! It's hard to believe a year has past since that night in Woody Creek. Seems like so much has happened since then.

I had the great fortune to tell Johnny in person at the DMC premiere in Disneyland what a wonderful gesture the send off was for Hunter and his family and what a great friend he was to Hunter. I asked Johnny to sign my copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and I'd like to put a passage from the book here (a condensed version of the Wave Speech)......

"San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run...but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in the corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant...." " There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 Los Altos or La Honda... You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle- that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting- on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the hight-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

I love Johnny's genuine laugh here when he had Hunter on stage at the Viper Room, filmed for Breakfast With Hunter documentary...

Johnny reading the Wave Speech at the HST tribute in Louisville, Ky. Also from BWH .....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/KYwoman/Johnny_BWH/bwhjdreading.bmp

Johnny in Aspen at the memorial.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:37 pm 

Hello Noodlemantras -

I was here for that fateful night a year ago. I shared a toast (or two) with my fellow zoners, and had a great time. Hunter must surely be smiling down on The Colonel tonight.

The look of total adoration...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:58 pm 

I was here a year ago, too. Hard to believe it's been that long.

Although I never met Hunter, I always appreciated that he was somewhere in the world, sharing his unique view on what was happening around him. He wrote with a fervor and energy and honesty that never failed to speak to me.
I miss that.

bluebird

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Hunter S. Thompson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:59 pm 

I was not here the night of the howl a year ago (I believe I was off following a different drummer, as it were).

Hunter S Thompson was foregin to everything I knew or believed in. And yet, reading his words has touched me in ways I could never quite explain. I grieved his death terribly then and I grieve it again tonight. Perhaps the greatest recommendation I can have is that Johnny loved him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:06 pm 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
I have to say I miss having a 'voice' like Hunter's around in these trying times. He spoke what he felt to be the truth and didn't waiver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:10 pm 

KYwoman wrote:
I have to say I miss having a 'voice' like Hunter's around in these trying times. He spoke what he felt to be the truth and didn't waiver.

I read an article today, by Steadman, that Hunter's suicide was no surprise to him, as Hunter was so despondent over Bush winning the presidency. Wow. Can we just imagine what Hunter would have to say about the Katrina debaucle?

Last edited by CarrieKY on Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:10 pm 

I was here last year, and did the howl, and am so glad to be back again. What a year!

I hope that those Hunter's loved ones gain strength from all of the people whose lives he touched.

Drink up, me hearties, yo ho!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:21 pm 

Greetings everyone! Welcome back, it's hard to believe it has been a year! CarrieKY, the article by Steadman you are referring to was posted today on ONBC by Gilbert's Girl. It is definitely worth a read.

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:33 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Greetings everyone! Welcome back, it's hard to believe it has been a year! CarrieKY, the article by Steadman you are referring to was posted today on ONBC by Gilbert's Girl. It is definitely worth a read.

Thanks, DITHOT. I was having a senior moment. (Not a Chivas moment!)

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next