All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Two Big ONBC Announcements
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:59 am 
JDZ Moderator

Noodlemantras……

We have an announcement.

After we finish Good Omens our next selection will be………

………..

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (Paperback)
by George Dibdin Pitt

ISBN: 1592240097

Book Description
This version of the famous play, carefully restored by author and scholar Marvin Kaye, returns to the original text and clears away many of the problems created by lesser talents trying to revise the text. Footnotes and an afterword on staging a production of Sweeney Todd based on this text provide useful additional information.

Adobe Reader Download Description
"[This] grisly melodrama stirs powerful feelings of revulsion and terror in a modern reader with imagination, and with an uneasy respect for evil. The labyrinthine cellars beneath Sweeney's shop are as twisted and murky as the psychological abyss from which spring all human nightmares, and Sweeney himself is a genuine monster of the id. No one who suspects that evil can take on human features could fail to tremble at his memorable line: 'I believe I am not easily forgotten by those who have once seen me.'" --Marilyn Stasio Variations on this play have been filmed and put on Broadway as a musical. This version, carefully restored by author and scholar Marvin Kaye, returns to the original text and clears away many of the problems created by lesser talents trying to revise the text. Footnotes and an afterword on staging a production of Sweeney Todd based on this text provide useful additional information. --This text refers to the Digital edition.

NOTE: This book may be a challenge to get. I was unable to find it at my particular library. I surveyed 2 local book stores—one my independent book store and the other Borders. Neither had it in stock. Both were more than willing to order it but said it would take 2-3 weeks. The good news is that it is a short read—120 pages…..and you have until October 9 to read it.

You can purchase it online at:

Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592240097/sr=1-2/qid=1154639343/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-5575069-6666451?ie=UTF8&s=books

Dramabookshop.com
http://www.dramabookshop.com/NASApp/store/Product?s=showproduct&isbn=1592240097

Borders
http://www.bordersstores.com/search/title_detail.jsp?id=53311955&srchTerms=Sweeney+Todd&mediaType=1&srchType=Keyword

Barnes & Noble only has 2 used copies, none new:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=1592240097&itm=29

Digital Download* only:
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=91-1592240097-0

* http://www.powells.com/ebookstore/adobe6_download.html

And good heavens, don’t forget to join us on Monday for the start of our discussion of Good Omens….. DITHOT and I prophesize that we’ll all have a h*ll of a good time.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:07 am 

I have a copy of the play in book form, but I'm unfamiliar with the book you have pictured. Mine has photos in it from various productions of the play in NYC and London.
Liz, do you think I need to buy this version or can I use the one I have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:26 am 
JDZ Moderator

Hard to say, QofK. :-? Is it by the same author? There are at least 3 versions out there by three different playwrights plus the investigation into the true story by Haining (I think that is the name). If yours is by Pitt, then I would guess you are safe. It appears that Kaye restored the original play by Pitt and added an intro and footnotes. So you will be missing those additions.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:55 pm 

Good choice! I'm looking forward to getting a copy and seeing just how gruesome this play really is. Somehow I think perhaps the Angela Lansbury Broadway version (I don't even remember who played Sweeney Todd :-? ) was a bit frivolous. One can only imagine what is going on in Tim Burton's fertile brain right now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:41 pm 

Bix wrote:
Good choice! I'm looking forward to getting a copy and seeing just how gruesome this play really is. Somehow I think perhaps the Angela Lansbury Broadway version (I don't even remember who played Sweeney Todd :-? ) was a bit frivolous. One can only imagine what is going on in Tim Burton's fertile brain right now!

:yikes:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:11 pm 

Just ordered my copy! I'm very excited! :snoopydances:

I didn't get to read Good Omens and I miss taking part in the discussions. :bawl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:50 pm 

PhD, we miss you too! Check in on the daily quesions anyway. Sometimes they are more philosophical or fun in nature and reading the book wouldn't be necessary to participate. And that goes for anyone else too! :cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:57 pm 
JDZ Moderator

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
PhD, we miss you too! Check in on the daily quesions anyway. Sometimes they are more philosophical or fun in nature and reading the book wouldn't be necessary to participate. And that goes for anyone else too! :cool:

PhD, I echo what DITHOT said. Take part when you can, as well as anyone else. The last three questions are good examples of questions where reading the book is not a pre-requisite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:37 pm 

:thanks!: I just wanted to say thank you Lizbaba and DITHOTbaba for adding Sweeney Todd to the reading list. I'm very excited about the possibility of Tim and Johnny doing a film version, so an opportunity to discuss the play just makes me too too happy. :cloud9: Add the fact that it's a short read, since my reading time has not been the best lately and I fear will be lessened more in the near future, I'm giddy beyond words. :giddy: I just ordered my copy, can't wait. :giddy: :giddy:

Live in Depp
Boo

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:02 pm 

Boobaba, we are so glad you are so :giddy: over the choice and we are doing :snoopydances: that you will be joining us! I got my book yesterday and it does look like a pretty quick read! :noodlemantra:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:06 pm 

I got a call from the lib that the book Sweeney Todd was in for me, and it is the only copy in the system, so I was bummed to find out that it is not by Pitt.

Darn it.

anyway I will read it and order the original this evening.

thanks Liz and DITOT!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:20 pm 

Raven, I read the intro to the Pitt book last night and I will be interested to see how it differs from the way the play has evolved over the years. (I think I smell a tidbit here... :reader: )
Glad you will be joining us! :bounce: Have fun on your vacation!
:sailboat:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:56 pm 

I found the Pitt book on Amazon. Its on Ebay too. some are quite pricy. wonder why its so rare? Makes me want to read it more.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:29 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Boobaba, so glad that you will be joining us. We've missed you. V, maybe they are pricey because they are hardbacks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:01 am 

I just ordered my copy and look forward to reading it and joining in the discussion.
I have not participated in the ONBC discussions before for various reasons..mostly timing.
Thanks DiTHoT for pointing me in the right direction through your PM....
I get a little lost at times! :-? :-/

Three is a MYSTICAL, MAGICAL number."
~~ Johnny Depp~~
 Profile WWW YIM 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next