It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chocolat Question #32 ~ Another Level?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:08 am 

Chocolat has been called a fable. Do you see the story as a fable or an allegory?

Here are the definitions of fable and allegory:

Fable: A brief story or poem that is told to present a moral, or practical lesson. The characters in fables are often animals who speak or act like human beings.

Allegory: Prose or verse in which the objects, events or people are presented symbolically, so that the story conveys a meaning other than and deeper than the actual incident or characters described. Often, the form is used to teach a moral lesson.

Source: library.thinkquest.org/23846/library/terms/

Last edited by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas on Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:18 am 
JDZ Moderator

In my dictionary the #2 definition of a fable is: A story about supernatural, mythological or legendary characters or events. So that has something to do with my choice.

This is a very tough qusetion, and I suppose it could go either way. There is a moral—and that is to be more tolerant. But there is much symbolism but no animals who speak or act like humans except for maybe Pantoufle. I don’t really think that any of the events are supernatural, mythological or legendary. It’s more about real people in any town who are intolerant of those who are different.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:33 pm 

I definitely felt that it was written in an allegorical style with a moral of tolerance and love. The townspeople, in general, were sheep, following this way or that. The priest represented a harsh, unfeeling religion. Vianne was a breath of fresh air. Roux was the minority outsider. And so on..... I felt that the characters were very broadly drawn to put across certain points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:10 pm 

If I had to choose one I would say allegory over fable. It doesn't really have the classic fable style but I can see it on an allegorcial level with, as you said Betty Sue, the different characters representing tolerance, religion, discrimination, freedom, etc.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:04 pm 

DITHOT you are going to make us think on the eve of a holiday weekend :canada: Happy Canada Day tomorrow ladies for those that live north of the US border - well I'll have to come back with a thoughtful post but I had to share 'a Johnny moment' with you -

I went out JUST to get my ticket for the first showing of PIRATES and well I guess I finally took the plunge and am now officially all in "obsessed wise" that is - I went to BLOCKBUSTERS to get a movie or two and came back with Platoon, Donnie B., From Hell, ES, CATCF, and Corpse Bride - well they were all previously viewed dvd's and on sale!?!!?!? - add those to six other dvd's and the grand total is now a dozen with everything else moviewise on hometaped videos waiting to be replaced - oh yes - I even bought the PIRATES M&M's - :capnjack: how bad does it get when you even buy candy with the man's face on it :blush:

ok enough blathering - I am going to put my treasures away and try and find some equilibrium - just thought that those of you who are already obsessed might get a chuckle from my afternoon - June 30, 2006 I am officially 'all in' now to decide what to watch first and I promise I will consider the question of myth or fable - promise :disco:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:39 pm 
JDZ Moderator

lizbet wrote:
ok enough blathering - I am going to put my treasures away and try and find some equilibrium - just thought that those of you who are already obsessed might get a chuckle from my afternoon - June 30, 2006 I am officially 'all in' now to decide what to watch first and I promise I will consider the question of myth or fable - promise :disco:

I did have a chuckle, Lizbet. I don't even eat the M&M's. It's been an unopened package for 2 months now, just sitting next to my computer. :lol:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:53 pm 

Liz wrote:
I did have a chuckle, Lizbet. I don't even eat the M&M's. It's been an unopened package for 2 months now, just sitting next to my computer. :lol:
I've got the unopened M&M's and the unopened cereal. :blush:

Ok, and thinking about today's question--Chocolat certainly seems to fit the definition of an allegory and not that of a fable. I'm not sure how "deep" that moral is ("Be more tolerant!"), though. (And if my tolerance of others doesn't include the intolerant, am I really tolerant?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:57 pm 

did I mention that I carried them home in my new 'tote bag' :blush: now I'm off to put them in chronological order of when in theatres and watch starting with Corpse Bride and work my way back to his earliest - what are holiday weekends for if you can't hole up alone with Johnny Depp and a great big jug of iced tea :blush: see you on Monday :blush:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:02 am 
JDZ Moderator

fansmom wrote:
Liz wrote:
I've got the unopened M&M's and the unopened cereal. :blush:

Ok, and thinking about today's question--Chocolat certainly seems to fit the definition of an allegory and not that of a fable. I'm not sure how "deep" that moral is ("Be more tolerant!"), though. (And if my tolerance of others doesn't include the intolerant, am I really tolerant?)

There is a proper time to be tolerant and an improper time. :lol:

And Fansmom, the kids just love the CJS cereal. But it is so decadent--a little like the good captain. :capnjack:

And I forgot to say earlier:

Happy Canada :canada: Day, Canadian Noodlemantras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:53 am 

I think it is an allegory...the story can be read as it is ,and it can be read symbolically...chocolate being a metaphor for freedom and choice,the dark man ,a metaphor for intolerance and bigotry..e.t.c.

I have faith in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:28 am 
JDZ Moderator

gilly wrote:
I think it is an allegory...the story can be read as it is ,and it can be read symbolically...chocolate being a metaphor for freedom and choice,the dark man ,a metaphor for intolerance and bigotry..e.t.c.

Good points, Gilly. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:29 am 

lizbet, I'd say you're a goner! :thud:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:31 pm 

I think like you all it is an allegory, but saying it is a fable sounds cooler!

Hey Lizbet what took you so long? :biglaugh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:59 am 

When I think of fables,I think of Aesop's fables..If only Pantoufle could talk :bounce: :capnjack:

I have faith in you.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]