It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chocolat Question #20 ~ The Magic in Vianne
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:36 am 

In the extras on the Chocolat dvd, Juliette Binoche says of Vianne, “The magic in her is believing people can change.” Would you agree or disagree? Did you think Vianne had “magical” powers?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: Chocolat Question #20 ~ The Magic in Vianne
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:11 am 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Did you think Vianne had “magical” powers?

My answer would have to be yes, because I believe that we all have magical powers to some extent. I believe that prayer and positive thinking can help change so many things. Miracles happen every day and we are in the midst of them.
Vianne used her energy to shape the world around her. She had good intentions and she was open to see things. That's what magic is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:12 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I like your answer, QofK. I tend to believe that also--to some extent. :cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:30 pm 

Maybe we each need to define what we mean by magic. I think there would be a big variation in the answers, so what would seem magical to one would seem ordinary to others.

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:39 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I think that is a good idea, Endora. So as you all answer, please define your idea of "magic".

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:37 pm 

So I will say yes but not to magic. With Vianne, I think she is really listening to her intuitive self. We all have that kind of magic, it is a matter of listening. We can all listen and start to trust our intuitive feelings. It can be an amazing process to learn about yourself and others. That I would call power.

my :twocents:

Don't just believe, believe in yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:56 pm 

yup,I also wouldnt call it magic,magic to me is unexplainable.
I think Vianne can see a greater picture than most men,but thats no magic its a qualitie.
greets,
es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:58 pm 

Defining 'magic' as a special positive trait (magic smile, magic personality), I think Vianne had magical powers and that her magic was believing people could change, as Juliette said. Although she took a rather dim view of the town at the beginning, she kept plying everyone with 'sweetness' until there was a gradual change in the whole town atmosphere. She kept believing no matter how hopeless the situation seemed to be getting. She seemed to have at least a bit of hope for change in almost everyone, including herself. Yes, we all can have that 'magic'! :angel:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:42 pm 

I wouldn't define it as "magic" per se, like you said es, magic is unexplainable. I think she had a great ability to concentrate and focus and she was very atuned to those around her and their personalities. I also agree with what Juliette said that she believed people could change and she could help them believe it as well. Armande instantly recognized something in her that was different from other people, perhaps it was her openness, everyone else in the town was so close minded.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:25 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Magical power, to me, is defined as an active way of performing some sort of unexplainable act or creating something unexplainable. She didn’t really perform any magical acts. She just seem to have a keen understanding for people and what they were about.

Maybe synchronicity is a better word—an accidental understanding. From pg. 75:

“I’m not sure.” It was true; I had no idea what she was talking about. But I could smell it too; the scent of the changing winds, that air of revelation. A distant scent of fire and ozone. A squeal of gears left long unused, the infernal machine of synchronicity. Or maybe Josephine was right, and Armande was crazy. After all, she could see Pantoufle.”

She and Armande had some sort of connection going on here. Was it synchronicity or sensitivity? I think they were both sensitive to those around them. And could pick up on clues based on that sensitivity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:52 am 

I'm not sure of the word 'magic'..I keep seeing visuals of Harry Potter and Dumbledore. :-O .I think Vianne had psychic and intuitive gifts...

I have faith in you.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]